Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food q

Food q

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey,

In about a month or so (move to new house) we'll be commuting to work. I work at 730am & will have to leave around 530-545am as i have a 15km ride ahead of me.

My question to you ladies is, do you have a snack before you commute? Do you have breakfast before or after your commute?

Dunno if anyone bikes the same distance each morning?

Just wondering...

c

Know yourself.

I have a bagel and cheese and a large glass of tea, or something a lot like that each morning. If I'm riding a lot in general, I'll make sure to toss a glass of something else liquid down, too - lemonade, gatorade, water, wahtever.

My commute is about 12 km. and takes about 40 minutes (depending on traffic). Okay, 35 but if I admit that then I"ll leave even later and be late to work My record's 28. (I gotta get that speedo fixed!)

I'm not a "morning person," though - I need the bagel 'cause the tea will rebound on an empty stomach (and the signals aren't the same when you're riding a bike - finding that out the hard way totally grossed out at least one driver, I'm sure!) but I can do 10 miles or so without fuel, no problem.

Then I'm fine 'til lunch, though I sometimes munch on something aout 10:00 or so (um, should I admit my Pop-Tart habit now?)

How is your route? Hilly? Trafficky?

I eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast whether I ride or not. I try to get the breakfast down at least 30 minutes before I leave or I sometimes get a bit of indigestion. Luckily my 13 mile (21 km) 50 minute ride doesn't have any major uphills in the first 25 minutes. I'm often ready for a snack by 10:30, but sometimes I make it til 11:30 and lunch. There is nowhere around my office to buy food, so I wouldn't want to have to carry breakfast and lunch on my bike.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

My commute is usually 18 miles in to work and 20 to 24 miles back home again. I always eat breakfast before I leave - cereal with fresh fruit plus toast and peanut butter. And then I eat yogurt when I get to the office and have a mid-morning snack too.

I can't imagine riding that kind of distance (or the distance you are suggesting) without food!

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

This might be something you may have to experiment with. Unlike Geonz, I cannot do my morning ride on anything more than a glass of something wet and maybe a piece of toast, otherwise I feel like I am going to hork it all over the road. But I haul my food items for the day with me anyway and will graze once I get settled in at my desk. I make sure that when I get to work, to have some carbs and a bit of protien. Sometimes this is a bit of chocolate milk, other times, bagle, fruit and a piece of string cheese. I have a 19 km commute each way and with traffic lights and all, it takes about an hour each way. I found it helpful to drink en route and to make sure to hydrate through the day. I get tired and headache-y if I don't.
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

2010 Kelson custom/Brooks B17 Imperial
    2009 Masi/Terry Damselfly
    2004 Specialized Dulce Elite/Terry Damselfly
    2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara/unknown saddle
    1987 Bridgestone 100/Terry Liberator X

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Everyone is different. My commute is 14 miles (22 km) and I normally don't have breakfast until I get to the office (actually the coffee shop near my office). But a cafe recently opened near my house, so I've gone there before my ride for coffee and a muffin. I've been fine both ways. I find it more important what I eat the night before.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip
    I find it more important what I eat the night before.
    Good point, tulip! I find this true as well! I can certainly tell when I didn't get enough carbs.
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

2010 Kelson custom/Brooks B17 Imperial
    2009 Masi/Terry Damselfly
    2004 Specialized Dulce Elite/Terry Damselfly
    2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara/unknown saddle
    1987 Bridgestone 100/Terry Liberator X

Yeah, know what your stomach likes... don't gross out the cars (ewwww )

I eat a gigantic breakfast with 3 or 4 cups of coffee. Usually I don't eat "breakfast" food, cuz it's not burly enough. I need HUGE food: baked potato, steamed broccoli, sausage, scrambled eggs with cheese. Or salmon and rice and salad. (I eat dinner for breakfast, really)

when I get to work I eat something right away and drink a bottle of water. Usually I eat something sugary, like a Payday bar or chocolate or a banana. I can usually get that done while I'm changing into my work clothes/shoes and putting away my bike stuff.

A couple hours later (before lunch) I often need another snack.

I eat a small lunch and a small dinner.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I always eat before my commute because i know i won't eat at work.
    If i was going somewhere where there was food, i wouldn't need to eat before i left. with your commute, i'd say it was borderline (whether or not i needed to eat first)
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I have about a 5.5 mile ride to work, and I always eat before I go unless I am doing a brick (biking in and then running, 'cause I cannot eat before running). Usually either a bagel or oatmeal.

What I find strange is that I am frequently starving when I get to work, even if I have eaten. You know how swimming makes you really hungry (i.e. hungrier than it should for the amount of work you were doing)? Biking seems to do that to me, at least sometimes. I haven't quite figured it out yet... it really doesn't seem that 25 minutes on the bike should make me hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck
    Hey,

In about a month or so (move to new house) we'll be commuting to work. I work at 730am & will have to leave around 530-545am as i have a 15km ride ahead of me.

c
    Hey crazycanuck, does that mean you ended up buying that house you posted? Congrats!

I drink a yogurt drink about 20 minutes prior to take off. During the summer I also like having water with the Clif's Electrolyte mix as I sweat like a fiend and notice I feel better. I read that the 30 minutes of post recovery is the most important time to replenish muscles with glucose, so I usually eat a sports bar while I'm washing up and changing into work clothes. Now mind you, I am probably overkill.....
    Yes, SHE can.

"Angels fly because they take themselves lightly"
    Gilbert K. Chesterton

Usually I don't eat anything before my 7.5 mile ride to work, mostly because I take a medication that requires that I not eat for an hour after taking it. I don't have time to wait around for an hour and then eat, or I'd be late to work. If I feel like I need something, I'll eat a half a luna bar right before I leave. Once I get to work, I eat cereal with fresh fruit and soy milk, and some veggie sausage. It tastes so good after working up a sweat!

My commute is 23km each way, I do it on a couple of bits of toast for breakfast, and grab a sandwich from the cafe for morning tea.

I make sure I have a reasonable lunch before biking home a few hours later, cause the homeward leg is mostly up and I don't want the food sitting high in my belly
    Last edited by RoadRaven; 08-17-2006 at 11:32 AM.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Congrats on the move crazycanuck!!

I try to have breakfast every morning, cept the mronings where my stomach refuses... Sometimes you just wake up and my stomach is so restless!

On mornings like that I usually snack bar it. ^_^ Only when I'm OFF the road.
    @LIGHTSABE*R(::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Beginner Triathlete Log

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    I've never been able to eat right when waking up.
    Every body is different.
    Like DivingBiker, I take meds that require an empty stomach and no eating after I take it....a half hour for me. Still, I usually split a banana with my bunnies, fill a thermos with coffee for the second water bottle cage, and if I'm ambitious the night before, will boil a few eggs for when I get to work (lately, it's been PopTarts! Shhhhh). My commute is also ~7.25 miles (~13 km)(MD 'burbs outside D.C., too).
    In the afternoon, I'll eat 1/2 Pria bar or take a cliff shot before I leave to get dressed for the ride home.