Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Lara Bars at Costco!

Happy Dance!

I went to Costco to buy eggs. Just eggs. Came away with eggs, bananas, artichokes, and a case of Lara Bars!

"Variety Pack" apple pie, chocolate coconut chew, and cherry pie.

(Cherry pie is my favorite, if they'd had a case of just cherry pie I might not have been able to control myself.)

I've been buying Paydays, but I eat them too much. Instant food is what I really need. That's how I rationalized buying a case of Lara Bars. Cuz they're real food. (really. aren't they?)

Edit: these are, of course, for eating on bike rides. Or if I'm running off somewhere and need food. Or for at work when I'm starving. And if I just feel like I need a nibble... but really they are for the bike.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I have got to join costco. I get lara bars too, just for the bike or breakfast on the run, or a snack just before teaching to keep energy up.... I really do try to keep them bike or hike food - but I acutally like them in general.

I do not have a Costco and I have never tried a Lara Bar so what do I do? I sent DH to the store to buy some. Are the Maya bars any good?
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

I haven't tried the Maya bars, but somebody posted about them.

Lara bars are really good, and don't give me sugar rush. They're filling, too. And they only have 5 or so ingredients.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

This is the second time in one day that I've heard about Costco. As a single woman with no kids, I can't see paying the membership fee. So I make my friends pick things up for me! My pal at work gets cases of the Kashi energy bars there. I'll have her pick me up some Lara bars, too.

I've tried the Maya bars, Chocolate Coffee, and Chocolate Orange. As much as I want to love them, I do not. There's a strange taste that I think of as "industrial". Don't know what it is, since they're as natural as natural can be. But I do not love them. I bought a case of the C/O ones on sale, certain that I would adore them. I was wrong. I still have three or four to get through.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

I just had a Maya Bar-Chocolate Coffee and I liked it. DH bought one Maya and 4 Lara Bars.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Cool Larabar

I agree wirh YogaBear. When you exercise a lot there is not much to worry about from calories/fats especially when these are considered to be the good fats. My new nutritionist has been reminding to balance a good fat, protein and carb at all times.

I'm also sensitive to wheat, dairy, eggs and soy so it was a joy to find these recently..and they taste so good. For the food sensitive crowd the ThinkOrganic bars are good too.

Ditto on the food sensitivities. I'm thrilled that Clif makes Nectar bars (copies of Lara bars) because even if i can't find Lara bars, I can sometimes find Nectar.

There's another good bar, "BumbleBar" that has very few ingredients (no wheat, oats, barley or rye) and I think it's vegan, too. The Chai flavor is my favorite. Bumblebar's base is sesame seeds, so it's not as sweet as Lara which is based on dates.

As far as I know, BB isn't a raw food though.

Quote Originally Posted by leacato
    I agree wirh YogaBear. When you exercise a lot there is not much to worry about from calories/fats especially when these are considered to be the good fats. My new nutritionist has been reminding to balance a good fat, protein and carb at all times.
    When you get to be my age and your metabolism totally stops, you have to start watching diet, even when exercising a lot. I used to be able to ride, lift and eat ice cream. I still ride & lift....sigh...
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by leacato
    My new nutritionist has been reminding to balance a good fat, protein and carb at all times.
    You should absolutely balance fats, protein, and carbs. But if you look decent sports nutrition guidelines, a food that is 40% fat does not fall into a good balance for supporting activity like cycling. (You are right that the Lara bars contain only good food components and no crap, but the percentage of fat is way to high for my body.) If you are eating your Lara bar along with a better source of protein & carbs, everything will likely come into the right proportions for generating energy. Alone? I doubt it.
    Last edited by DeniseGoldberg; 08-26-2006 at 06:42 AM.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)