Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Vegan recipe

Vegan recipe

To disable ads, please log-in.

I got this on my daily recipes.com email & thought I'd share it with our vegan sisters.

Submitted By: BandE
    Black beans mingle with onions, peppers, garlic, cornmeal and spices in this tasty taco filling. Try it in burritos or as a dip for tortilla chips. No black beans? Red, pink, or pinto beans are great subs.

Prep Time: 15 Minutes
    Cook Time: 15 Minutes
    Ready In: 30 Minutes
    Yields: 8 servings
    INGREDIENTS
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 bell pepper, chopped
    2 (14.5 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed, drained, and mashed
    2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
    1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1 cup salsa

DIRECTIONS
    Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion, garlic, and bell pepper; cook until tender. Stir in mashed beans. Add the cornmeal. Mix in cumin, paprika, cayenne, chili powder, and salsa. Cover, and cook 5 minutes.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

This vegan thanks you! I've got some tortillas crying for a filling so maybe I'll try this recipe soon. Looks like it would be tasty for anyone, not just vegans.

I'll share one of my favorite pot-luck recipes. It makes a big batch and is very easy and very tasty. I got it from allrecipes.com.

Black Bean Salsa

3 15 oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 11 oz can Mexican-style corn, drained
    2 10 oz cans diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, partially drained (Rotel tomates are very spicy and work well)
    2 tomatoes, diced (if tomatoes are not in season I use a can of petite diced tomatoes)
    2 bunches green onions, chopped
    cilantro for garnish (I mix in about 1/3 cup chopped cilantro rather than using it as a garnish)

In a large bowl, mix together everything and chill 8 hours or overnight before serving. But if you're hungry, it tastes good right away, too.

I am not vegan, but I shall definitely be making both of these recipes. Thanks for sharing them.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Mmmnnnnn.. Sounds TASTY! Thanks!!!

I try to make a vegetarian meal at least once a week, so I appreciate the ideas. Thanks!
    If you can read this, take a pull.

For those of you willing to eat meat substitutes, if we're talking tacos (or most things with ground up bits of meat usually in them), the Quorn grounds really work well and don't have that soy taste (well, duh, they aren't made with soy!).

I don't think Quorn is vegan (eggs maybe?), but I can even get my meat-loving "boys" (husband, father, and brother) to eat them so they must be good Second place would be Yves, third Morningstar/Boca/Gardenburger.

I use a lot of substitutes to try to get my "others" to eat non-meat stuff (I am vegetarian, but occasionally eat fish for the fatty acids and proteins). I could give you an earful on substitutes, that's for sure