Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

View Poll Results: have you ever ridden a century (100 imperial miles)?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

61 49.19%
  • No, but I plan to

60 48.39%
  • No, and i have no desire to ride that far!

2 1.61%
  • century? what on earth is a century?????

0 0%
  • other!

1 0.81%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

the century (100 miles) poll

To disable ads, please log-in.

a thread on another site made me think of this poll.... to me... since before i even rode... a century has just been "the thing to do".... so naturally for me... i had a goal from almost day one to do one...

the discussion at the other site made me think that the majority of people not only don't ride centuries.... that most have no desire... (and non riders think i'm a freak when i tell them i'm going out to ride 100 miles... heck.. they think i'm a freak if i ride 50 miles! and mention that i climbed to big bear on my bike! they can't comprehend! lol! but i digress!)

now i'm not saying one is bad or good... cuz as long as you are out riding... THAT's what is IMPORTANT! but i'd like to get a feel for what they gals do/think!

so i'm making a yes (i've done a century), no (but plan to), no (and have no desire whatsoever!), of course a "what's a century!" and an other to cover any other reasons!

you can just vote... or add an explaining or commenting post!

I do not see the actual poll yet, so I shall just answer. I have not done a century yet, but have every intention of doing several.

Edit: as soon as I posted the poll showed up. So, i will add my vote.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

it's there now! i guess it posted my post first.. .then the poll? (i've never done a poll on here before! lol!)

a nice way to spend the day

This year I have done two. One was a lot easier, a there and back century up a gently rolling slope and back.
    The second was from Seattle to Bellingham; a lot more varied terrain, hills, flats along Puget Sound (ie headwinds) it was a lot harder but definitely worth it.
    I am sure I will do more centuries, but a more favorite ride length for me is a metric century (60 odd miles)
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I rode over 100 miles about 20 years ago. I regularly rode 40-60 when I was racing, but since the women's races were so short back then (20 miles for crits, 35 or so for RR), it wasn't necessary to ride that far.

I recently rode 70 miles, and plan on riding a century in October. I think I can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by tulip
    I think I can do it!
    you must remove the "think" or change it to KNOW!

a LOT of the century is mental.... go into it thinking you WILL do it! and you will!

Hoping to be able to do my first one next year.

when i get around actual roads and get a road bike i want to do one. so sometime in the future.
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.

Centuries are fun.
    Of course, I was trying to do one a month this year. maybe I should get a recumbent trike... Hard to ride with you arm in a sling

My century goal is to do the first half of the Seattle to Portland ride in 2007.
    Road Bike: 2008 Orbea Aqua Dama TDF/Brooks B-68

Ellen
    www.theotherfoote.blogspot.com

I did one. Exactly one. It was back in 2000 and in Florida no less.

As far as centuries go, it was admittedly an easier variety. Total elevation gain was what, 12 feet, maybe? I forgot how tall that bridge was we had to go over

Nowadays that I'm back riding, I seem less concerned with miles and mileage goals. These days I'm all about doing big mountain climbs. I'd really like to do the mt-evans hill climb next year.

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby
    I am sure I will do more centuries, but a more favorite ride length for me is a metric century (60 odd miles)

I'm doing my first full century next Saturday, but I'm w/you mimitabby, my favorite is the metric! Its a long ride, but not so long where the training takes a huge amount of time!

I'll probably stick w/metrics after Saturday if for not other reason than training time constraints (new job)... but it really is the distance I like best!

T~

Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra_Cain
    I did one. Exactly one. It was back in 2000 and in Florida no less.

As far as centuries go, it was admittedly an easier variety. Total elevation gain was what, 12 feet, maybe? I forgot how tall that bridge was we had to go over

Nowadays that I'm back riding, I seem less concerned with miles and mileage goals. These days I'm all about doing big mountain climbs. I'd really like to do the mt-evans hill climb next year.
    lol at the 12 feet elevation gain century! i've heard that florida is as flat as a pancake! (i get more than 12 feet riding around my block! yikes!)

out here we have both... climbing and centuries combined! a couple of biggies are "breathless agony" (112 miles and 12000 feet) and "ride around the bear" (100 miles and 8000+ feet).... and of course there's always "king of the mountains": 3 rides.... 323 miles... 30,800 feet of climbing!

however... ANY century is a BIG accomplishment!!!!!! and is something to be VERY proud of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Planning on my first full century this Saturday. It's called ULCER (for Utah Lake Century Epic Ride).
    If you can read this, take a pull.

auntiek is there a reason why its called ULCER?
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.