Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

"Doc"...I am so impressed! Not just with the mountain bike challenge but the rest of your life! Med school huh?...Way to go!
    How old are your kids? I found after i was divorced (13 years ago with two little ones, one with special needs) i found a whole new life, a whole new "ME" and best of all....am remarried and still finding this new person! Sounds like you are a stong person all the way around. Although you'll be challenged, you'll do GREAT!
    Re: getting a road bike...how about asking around in you LBS for used ones. I think "roadies" tend to baby their bikes so you'll prob. find one that is 'gently' used. orrrrrr...when's your next birthday? I've been requesting bike stuff for my birthdays, Christmas, etc...
    All the best to you in your "next phase" of life! You're going to love it!

"Cy-newbie"... I have a Specialized Allez. I looked at the Siquoia (i know i spelled that wrong!!!) too and my brother in law who has an Allez already talked me into not getting it. I'm sure it's an awesome bike. Check the components...The Allez is all Shimano Ultegra (wow, i'm a bad speller!!!) and i think the Siquoia is mixed? I can't remember off hand what it was that sold me on the Allez. Anyway, you'll like the Specialized bikes.
    I was riding a hybred and bit the bullet and can't wait now for warmer weather to get out there!!!!!
    I too am nervous about traffic and am hoping to find some routes that are on the quiet side. I would have no problem on my old bike but the clipless thing is what is making me nervous! (that i won't be able to unclip in traffic!!!! AHHHHHH!). I about fell off my spin bike yesterday because i couldn't get one clip out....try to manage that one. DAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

woops! I just realized that i wrote responses to "cy-newbie" and they should have gone to "the doc"!!! Sorry ladies, i'm sure you'll figure out what the heck i'm talking about and to whom!

I dunno. I have a Specialized Allez too. Even tho' I was fitted for it, I don't like it near as much as my mtn bike. I guess my screwed up neck/shoulder have made me unable to hunch over. I just don't enjoy the road bike after about half an hour. I'm going to work with a former LBS owner/friend and put in a new stem to raise up the handlebars even futher. So, just be prepared. The Specialized is soo fast, so light and easy to pedal. But way different. The ggod thing about the cold is that I'm can put the road bike out of commission without feeling resentful. Good luck finding the right bike.

kpc - I'm hoping that i will get stretched out enough to be comfy on my road bike (specialized). I was told by EVERYBODY I talked to that that's the way to go for long hauls. I hope they're right!

It's "weight's night" for me...I'm off to the gym. I sure hope this training cuts it for this long ride this summer! I just got the fund raising info and it's psyched me up!

Tomorrow is the big day for tests for me...myalagram and the dreaded blood test...let's hope all that Total Cereal i ate over the past week paid off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still need to get my cast iron skillet.

Gretchen,

How did your tests go? I had my appointment with the doc yesterday. You are not alone! I found out I have a slightly low hemoglobin level! I was very surprised. It's not terrible..... it was 11.4. But my previous ones were a little over 14, so it is a drop. I am at the finishing end of a loooong menstrual period (over 10 days and counting) so it could be from that. I have to go back in and get re-tested when I am mid-cycle and see what that shows. Hopefully it will back to normal. I get blood drawn for tests today. Not sure what all they'll look at. I am curious as to my cholesterol, etc. That's always been fine, but I suppose that could have changed, too. I will be having a mammogram and bone density test next month. Soonest they could get me in. Isn't it fun to be over 40?? (For me it's almost over 50!) Better to keep on top of it all, I guess. I get my eyes tested today. Might as well get it all over with at once.

It's getting warmer here...... maybe will hit 40 F today! I am hoping to get outside and ride this weekend! :::::keeping fingers crossed:::::

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

annie-
    WOW! You're really doing all sorts of check ups! I had my first mamogram 6 years ago when i turned 39 i think. It was find but the next one i got the dreaded call. After several more test, a biopsy and sonogram it turned out to be calcifications. YEA!!!!!
    I'll bet you that your low hemoglobin is due to your heavy and long period. You are prob. going through perimenepaus...more fun for the over 40's!!!
    My tests went well...or as well as you can imagine when they feed a 3 inch needle into your spin and inject die into the membrain that contains the spial fluid. Sounds really gross, but...I have to say not as bad as i thought it would be. YEA! The worst was the big deal they made about it afterwards. I had to be at a 45 degree angle for 3 HOURS!!! after. Nobody warned me about that...i thought it was in and out. Oh well, good excuse to sit and watch HGTV and TLC (i'm not a soap person!). I had my blood drawn first thing in the morning and will get the results in about a week (or i'll call my doctor when i get impatient the end of the week! : ) ). I'm nervous about that...i hate the waiting game too. The myalogram will be looked at and i'll have that appointment on Monday. I'm not nervous about that because i already know what's wrong (bluging disk).
    It's such a good idea to get a full blood panel done while things are "ok" (hopefully!!!) then in the future you have something to compair to.
    I heard weather reports for almost 50 (!) by Friday. I need to get to my LBS to get my bike adjusted. I keep tweeking it and i think i'm messing it up more then helping matters. The roads are calling us!
    Where in Iowa do you live? Do you ride on roads or trails?
    Well, good luck with the vampire today and the rest of your tests.

gretchen

over 40? how about over 60??

I just turned 61 last month. Started with a little mountain biking about 10 years ago, then got interested in road biking about 3 years ago. Last summer was the first time I really rode very much, nothing like the 50 and 60 mile rides I read about in these posts. I ride mostly alone, and would love to do longer rides if I had some companions. I live in the western mountains of Maine and there are no bike clubs near me. Some of our roads are pretty treacherous (logging trucks, etc) so I am careful about where I ride.
    Last summer I got more ambitious as I had to get ready for a 2 week bike trip in New Zealand. That was a blast, BTW, and I hope to do more group trips.
    Winter is for skiing--here we get 6 months of winter, 6 weeks of mud season, and some pretty cool biking on both ends. But June thru September are pretty great! You California riders are pretty fortunate!!

over 40? how 'bout 62

I'm 62 and just started riding about 8 months ago. I got a custom road bike because of arthritis here and there (everywhere). This after a life of couch addiction.

I just decided I am going to sign up for a week-long tour at the end of the summer, and am now getting organized to train so I can ride the whole thing instead of hopping into the SAG wagon within 5 miles.

I'm walking everyday for bones (doc says bike won't cut it for the decaying hip), plus working out at a gym, and getting some kind of riding in daily. Sometimes it's on a stationary bike, rest of the time it's on my bike. I'm going to start riding weekends with a local bike club. I am not a new newbie anymore, but I'm still slow, and die on hills but getting better.

Anybody out there in Orange Co California who can ride weekdays and wants to go with a rider like me?

the blood work is in...

Hey! For anyone who was reading about the saga of my low iron...i got all the blood work back..
    My whole blood panel was awesome, low cholestoral, blah blah blah...the iron was up in a week after taking low dose iron pills to 10.6 (from 8.4) and the dr. was amazed. She's totally baffled as to why it was low with no blood in sight anywhere, but said that it actually could have been from 16 (!) years ago when i had my son and lost TONS of blood. How wierd is that?!!!! So, i'll take the iron pills for the next 4 months and see how high it can go!
    : ))))
    I'm soooo relieved! (usually it takes 2 weeks to show significant signs of increase when taking iron...and these pills are not theraputic type...just over the counter).
    YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Oh, i rode "slick" yesterday 10 miles and the day before hills and 10 miles and am feeling great. I'm going to try and get 20 in this morning. (in spite of the crummy whether!).
    ps....I LOVE MY BIKE...oh! and i found a really comfy seat!
    LIFE IS GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    gretchen

Re: the blood work is in...

gretchen wrote
    Hey! For anyone who was reading about the saga of my low iron...i got all the blood work back..
    My whole blood panel was awesome, low cholestoral, blah blah blah...the iron was up in a week after taking low dose iron pills to 10.6 (from 8.4) and the dr. was amazed. ...

Do you cook with cast iron? If you don't I've found it's a good way to add iron to your diet without the side effects of the iron pills.

no, but everytime i go out to run erronds i always add that to my list and always run out of time!
    One of these days i'll be 'cook'n' in iron! : )
    gretchen

Gretchen,

Glad you got good results back! Isn't it nice to know for sure that all is well? I, too, got happy results from all my blood work. I need to get back in and get my hemoglobin tested again...... hopefully, that, too, will be back to normal. I've been doing lots of my cooking in cast iron and started taking OTC iron supplements. Just what are the side effects from those, Trek420? I haven't experienced any yet, that I know of....... By the end of this month, after having mammogram and bone density tests, I hope to have a totally clean bill of health. Start the biking season out full of energy!

Weather's been sorta crummy here, so haven't been outside as much as I'd like.... :::::keeping fingers crossed for this weekend:::::::: Spinning is starting to become less and less invigorating. Just can't compare to outside, can it?
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

Gretchen,

Congrats on your blood labs! That's great. It's good to know that we can all keep chugging along.

I definitely hear you on the "finding a whole new me". That girl that I found hiding-out inside of me is doing all kinds of things that would have terrified me 10 years ago! Every now and then the "old" me still peeks back out and says "You wanna WHAT???!!.... Are you INSANE!!???". So I give her chocolate to shut her up! (A good anti-depressant helps too!)

I think I'm gonna test-ride the Sequoia this weekend. I have scraped together about 2/3rds of the money from selling stuff that I don't need, and it is starting to burn a hole in my pocket!! I want to get outside again soooo bad. I want another weekend like last weekend!!!

here's to good health and spring!

Isn't it great to hear we are all in good health!
    I can't believe how we worry about things we often have little control over or don't need to worry about...think of the time and energy we waste! It really bugs me that i do that!

Iron pills annie?....the side effects can be a nautious feeling and constipation...oh what fun. I havn't had any problems either. I'm taking Slow-Fe twice a day and a women's mega vitamin twice a day. I had headaches for the first couple of days taking all this but they seem to be tollerable now....yea!

I just got back from a 15 mile ride...yesterday i did 10 and the day before 10...IT FELT SOOOOOOOO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!
    My new bike (Specialized - Aliez) is soooooo awesome. I got a shorter stem put on and what a difference.
    OH, anyone looking for a comfy saddle....I just got a Serfas, women's specific....REALLY comfy, nice big cut out and not a really long nose. Nice cushie back seat too. : ))))))))
    I'm feel'n good!

Doc - good luck with the test ride...that's so great you are almost ready to purchase!

Get out there everyone and ride...it's not as cold as you think!
    really!
    gretchen

I just logged on today for the first time in a while and saw your over 40 question! Too cool. I started riding in my early 20's and became a bike bum. no joke. Dropped out of college and wanted to ride all the time. When I went back to school I put my bike up (25). I became a runner, graduated and became a productive member of society. For my 41st last Oct, my precious husband bought me a Lamond. (he was racing back when I was a bum). I ride with all over 40 girls and we are animals with our very fine tuned arobic capacities and the money to indulge our passion. Go girl!!! This is a great sport for us girls.