Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I figured before would probably be best and easiest to coordinate.

V.

"I figured before would probably be best and easiest to coordinate.

V. "

I'm in the Cinderella, they cashed the check!

V, should we move this subject out of "new cyclists" and to the group in general to see how many on Team Estrogen are going?

Dita

Originally posted by Trek420
    "I figured before would probably be best and easiest to coordinate.

V. "

I'm in the Cinderella, they cashed the check!

V, should we move this subject out of "new cyclists" and to the group in general to see how many on Team Estrogen are going?

Dita
    maybe to nor cal forum?
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

"maybe to nor cal forum?"

sure, sounds good

oops. I*thought* we had a CA forum, that must be another board. !!

I.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

"oops. I*thought* we had a CA forum, that must be another board. !!"

I,

We're jealous, you're seeing ANOTHER board?!?!

D

"maybe to nor cal forum?"

whadya know, it's been taken care of, everyone ride on over to:

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...=&threadid=928

we're taking a headcount for the photo-thanks V!

Annie, sorry to take so long getting back to you. We just got a new puppy and life is rather havocful. I just feel like milk is for babies of the species. I'm not a baby and I'm not a baby cow. It just seems like an odd thing (to me) to drink something produced to help babies grow. That said, I do have some milk, cheese, etc when I want. I'm not strict. I really just prefer the taste, digestibility and logic behind soymilk. I drink Silk which is fortified with calcium, almost the same as milk. Since I have one or two glasses daily, I also take a calcium suppplement. I haven't gotten a bone density test yet, but I've fell on wet rocks in the creek and landed hard on my wrist without breaking it, as well as other falls on cement. Kind of like an unpleasant bone density test? You may need to research a little. It sounds like with your mother's history you may have breast cancer risk in your family. I think there is some thought that more than two servings a day can increase breast cancer risk due to the plant phytoestrogens which have may some hormonal properties. I do think that each person's body is unique and what is best for each is different. So run it by your doctor too.

I am definetely in the over 40 group, I'm 52, and have been riding regularly for about 5 years, more serious in last 3, commute to work in warmer weather, ride a lot on weekends, holidays, obsess over the "perfect" bike. Because we have more cold weather than warm in Northern Ontario I end up doing things like sno shoeing, shovelling snow any number of weight bearing exercises. This weekend my broomball team is seeking it's record 12 consecutive championship in our winter carnival, and I am proud to say that I keep up with and pass a lot of the younger gals on the teams we play. I keep saying I'll retire from broomball each year, but every Sept when we start up again, I go back, because it is great fun. (We don't have ice in Sept. outside, we do play indoors!) In summer I play softball as well as bike, and have always done a free weight routine at home, nothing impressive, but enough to keep the bones healthy. I work fulltime, a nurse at a sexual health std clinic, and will be working for some time yet, have 2 sons in University, a daughter going next year, and my youngest daughter the year after. Those financial concerns will keep me at work, but I like my job too, just would like longer weekends. Well, better get outside and practise my broomball shot,(got a great broom from an online place in Minnesota!) hoping for spring, miss my bike Paintgirl

kpc,

Thanks for the reply. Have fun with your new puppy! Havoc for a reason........

I go in for a complete physical on Tuesday. Due for one. I will talk to my doctor about all sorts of health issues. I'm going to bring up the soy milk. Get a bone density test done, mammogram, pap, blood tests, all the icky stuff that one must do occasionally. Should be interesting. See if anything's changed since last time.Never had a bone density before so I am very curious about what that will show. My mom has severe osteoporosis, takes medication everyday. I can only hope I don't take after her! We are built and look nothing alike. I take after my dad that way. Hopefully, that carries over to my insides.......... Should be interesting. I've certainly had many falls off bikes. Only one that caused a fracture, and that was a bad crash and the bone healed in a normal amount of time.

Has anyone else here in this over-40 bunch had bone density tests? Sufficient calcium intake and a weight lifting routine are highly recommended, I know. Are there other things to be doing?
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

Annie - best of luck at the dr's. I just went too last week. I have my milogram (for the bulging disk i want to get 'fixed') on Tues. as well and have a BUNCH of blood work done too (that low hemoglobin).
    Does anyone read "Biking Magazine"? They had a great aritcle on bone loss, etc. in there. From what i understand we should be all jumping up and down (!) to wake up those calcium/bone generating little guys down our spines. Because biking tends to be low impact (not talking to you brave wild women on the chunkie bikes) we tend to loose bone mass even faster becasue there is nothing to stimulate that regeneration. It was a fasinating article.
    After reading aritcles like that you sum it all up and figure you can't win any way you look at it!!!! You run for impact...you wreck your knees and back, you bike and swim...you wreack your bone density. I guess we just need to be aware of EVERYTHING, treat our bods well and live life full. : )))

I'm 43 and started riding seriously last summer in an effort to drive down my blood pressure. I lost some weight and found myself plotting my next opportunity to ride all the time! I haven't found any riding partners yet so I really appreciate everyone in these forums and their advice. I joined my local biking club and am planning to participate in my first formal event in May. Cycling is a great way to get some exercise when you're not twenty-something any more!

cy.newbie...
    I'm trying to get up the nerve to join my local cycling club...not sure why i'm intimidated? First I have to find them! I guess i could just go to the LBS or on line.
    What's your first event?
    I'm in good shape but HATE to compete with other people...i just like to ride and ride and ride...no time limits, no "who's going faster then who". I"m a 'destination person'...you pick a far off destination, get there when you get there, enjoy the time there and return home again. I"m afriad that i'll be left in the dust if i bike with a group!
    Do you have a road bike or mountain or hybred?

/raises hand.

I turned 40 last summer, and bought a used mt bike (schwinn - yeah I know) as a gift to myself - just to get started. I hadn't been on a bike in 24 years.

There are lots of good Rail-to-Trails around here, but otherwise it is ALL hills (this is West Virginia).

I rode the wimpy 30 mile version of the Mountain Mama challenge in August of last year, and didn't collapse! I was killing myself though, hauling that mt bike up and down all those macadam hills. Was working waay harder than I needed to , so now I want a decent road bike.

What I think I want is a Specialized Sequoia.

Problem now is coming up with, and justifying the money, as I am divorced, mother to 3, AND in medical school.
    Too many things on my plate!! Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!

Gretchen,

I am currently riding a Fuji hybrid but, like most cyclists, have already developed a lust for a new bike. My first event will be the 26 mile route of the Huffman Classic (Dayton Cycling Club). I didn't want to take on anything longer so I don't embarrass myself the first time out! I joined the cycling club not to compete (I HOPE they aren't like that!) but to find people to ride with. I am a bike trail person; I hate riding in traffic. I'm hoping that some of the club rides will teach me how to manage in traffic.

Doctorfrau,

Wow! If you did anything that starts with "Mountain" in the name, you're in way better shape than I am!! I hear you about the new bike thing. I'm having narrower tires put on my hybrid and a few other things done to improve it a bit without investing in a completely new bike.