Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Originally posted by gretchen
    Ok, bring on those hills!
    Off-topic: That's the attitude! Climb and conquer!
    There's a 20-ish mile loop that I do often (mountain bike) that ends with a 20 minute climb. At the bottom you can look up this enormous hill and see this little, tiny "monopoly" size house at the top. And you know that you have to get there!!! I used to hate that climb, but now I savior the victory!

On-topic: I, too, am in the 40-plus class. I started riding when I was in my late 30's and started racing at 40. The over-40 women's beginner's class is an odd group in mountain biking. Most women start when they are younger and are sport level riders in their 40's. The starter at my first race announced our class and said that the term "granny" means something different to us than the rest of the racers...

Originally posted by Adventure Girl
    On-topic: I, too, am in the 40-plus class. I started riding when I was in my late 30's and started racing at 40. The over-40 women's beginner's class is an odd group in mountain biking. Most women start when they are younger and are sport level riders in their 40's. The starter at my first race announced our class and said that the term "granny" means something different to us than the rest of the racers...
    so did you smack him?

I won the over 40 beginner's in the only race I ever did, lone class participant

Irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

47...wil be 48 on the day of the Cinderella...wonder if they got my registration in time?

That's great, Trek! I hope I can find you in the crowd to wish you a Happy Bday. I'll be near the back

Yow, I just checked the web site ... registration for the Cinderella is closed already! They weren't kidding, were they?

- Jo, who checked her bank account online, and found her entry fee check has been cashed, whew!

"That's great, Trek! I hope I can find you in the crowd to wish you a Happy Bday. I'll be near the back "

I'll be in back of you ;-)

Just checked my mailbox, no card, guess I'll call the bank.

I'm short, dark haired, glasses and on the round side, will be riding a mountain bike Blue GT Outpost trail with slicks (don't think I'll have or if I do be used to my new bike yet by then)

We can work out the secret handshake if we all get registered.

OK, I'll 'fess up.

49. Riding 15 years. Bought custom bike as a present for my 40th birthday & road across Arizona (the LONG way for all of you cynics out there!). Great fun, I did it, can say I did it & never have to do it again! This was before saddles with the cut- outs. That leather saddle got mighty old!
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

arizona rider...

That is so great you biked across Arizonia!!!...or sorry...the LONG way! ; )))))))
    How many miles was that? How long did it take you? What dod you do to train? Any hints, recomentations, warnings, etc...for those us us who like the challange of a loooonnnngggg ride?

Off the subject: I am just not getting comfy on my saddle...
    I've been on it about 2 weeks. Do i stick it out or look for another? The problem?...it's the little nerve just below my sits bone on the left side. On my old bike with the "Target Special" seat it would take an all day ride (at least 6 hours) before that little nerve would start to hollar at me. With this saddle it takes about 45 minutes. Oh, its a Dolce with the split back and the hole in the middle. Hmmmmmm. Any ideas.
    Oh, another question. What do you do with your "old" bike seats that are really not old at all and look just like new? E Bay?
    Thanks! Gretchen

Re: arizona rider...

"Oh, another question. What do you do with your "old" bike seats that are really not old at all and look just like new? E Bay?
    Thanks! Gretchen"

I've usualy donated my old saddles to Trips for Kids.

I'm in the same boat with you, the saddle that came with my mountain bike is not comfy since I'm basicly using it to train for longer rides. I'll switch it soon to what I usualy use on a road bike.

Re: Re: arizona rider...

Originally posted by Trek420
    I've usualy donated my old saddles to Trips for Kids.
    What is "Trips for Kids"? I have boxes of old bike parts (saddles, stems, bars, etc.) Some of it is old, used stuff. But some of it is pretty nice and new. I'd love to donate that stuff to a good cause.

I tried lots of saddles until I found the perfect fit. So I bought 3 of them. One for my FS mountain bike, one for my hard tail and one for my road bike.

Only 37...

It would be cool if all the us doing Cinderella could somehow get together for a photo op. Thom's planning on coming down with me to take pictures during the ride.

I'm hoping to do the ride on our tandem with a friend from my club - if the bike fits her. It's a purpleen Santana with S and S couplers. Otherwise I'll be on Fluffy - orange Rivendell Rambouillet with white fenders.

Gretchen about saddles - I've spent many hours and miles on a Brooks Finesse. They're expensive, but Wallingford Bike offers a six month return policy, so if you don't like it - it can go back.

http://www.wallbike.com/Products2.html#finesse

Stuff we bought and didn't like - sits on a shelf in our garage.

Veronica

hey veronica....

You guys talking about he Cinderella ride makes me soooo envious! TI sounds like such fun!!!!!!!!!!!! Us "up tight" midwesterners (!) need to get a ride together like that! Have a great time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I"ll ride vicariously through you all.

Re: seats: I checked out that site...that was sooo thoughtful of you to include it (thanks!). Ok, call me a big wimp but my butt would be wondering what the heck i was doing on that...It looks like it's soooo stiff (?). I have found that the little hole in the middle of the newer type saddles are a MUST for me. My girlie parts would not allow me to even ride a bike until i found a seat with that wonderful feature.
    I must say, the Brooks must be a REALLY great product if they are willing to stand behind (no pun intended) their product like that, quite impressive! Thanks again and HAVE A GREAT time on the ride! (oh, when is it?).
    gretchen

Cinderella is March 27.

I wasn't really keen on getting the Brooks at first. I had a Terry Butterfly on the tandem and after a couple of hours I would get cramps in my upper hamstrungs - especially if we were doing a long relatively flat ride with little time out of the saddle. Thom finally got sick of me whining and ordered the Brooks (he already had one.) To be honest it's the only saddle I've ever had that I could actually tell I was sitting on my sit bones. But they're not for everyone.

Veronica

Re: Re: Re: arizona rider...

Originally posted by Adventure Girl
    What is "Trips for Kids"? I have boxes of old bike parts (saddles, stems, bars, etc.) Some of it is old, used stuff. But some of it is pretty nice and new. I'd love to donate that stuff to a good cause.

Great organization! Volunteer to help lead a ride if you have the time, it's really fun.

Trips For Kids

Re: Re: Re: Re: arizona rider...

pedalfaster "Great organization! Volunteer to help lead a ride if you have the time, it's really fun."

Plus they have a second hand store in Marin, the only thrift store I can think of that's all bike stuff! So anything you donate that is not used for the kids bikes can go there to help the group.

Re: Only 37...

Veronica "It would be cool if all the us doing Cinderella could somehow get together for a photo op. Thom's planning on coming down with me to take pictures during the ride."

Before or after the ride? If after you might be waiting a while for me to catch up ;-) Better make it before.