Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi everyone, space for a foreigner here?

I'm from the UK and took up cycling as a complete beginniner 5 years ago when I was 42. Not made much progress in that time as I 'parked' the bike for a few years because I was too scared to go out on the road.

Finally started commuting to work about 18 months ago and am loving cycling, even during the winter .

52 here - and returning to cycling after a 8 month break. It's been too long. I missed it!
    It's all about the journey (my reason for riding slower)

57 here - riding stoker since Dec 2007 - really prefer that to my own bike. Way too distracted by wildlife to steer, etc in front, plus it's fun to backseat drive : ) (and I love the view) Still don't have perfect saddle or fit after 10K mi but not giving up. Wondering if menopause may be affecting some of that too.

I'm over forty and getting started, again. :O)

I didn't start riding until I was 41 which was last year!

I'm 62. Riding definitely keeps me feeling young, especially when I ride to the gym and back! It annoys me when I can't go as fast as I used to, but I still climb hills, and I don't balk at 60-mile rides. Centuries do give me pause, though! Except for days when the headwind coming off the ocean is strong, it's all still fun, and sometimes it feels like my most natural position in life is perched on a bike saddle.

I'm having kind of an eyewear problem at the moment, which does affect my riding. My contacts have been drying out, even when I wear wraparound sunglasses. So I've been thinking about switching to bifocal sunglasses and researching the various kinds of lenses, such as bifocals vs. progressives. Does anyone have an opinion on that? This page about bifocals made me think about where the closeup part of the lenses should be: at the bottom I guess, since I'm looking at the distance through the top part. But is it better and more comfortable to have the near vision segment as a small spot lower down or as a "ribbon" that divides the upper and lower distance parts of the lens? If you look at the bifocal diagrams on that page you'll see what I mean.

My optometrist said I should just use distance glasses for riding and change the eyewear when I stop for lunch or whatever. But I hate taking extra glasses with me anywhere and would like one pair to do it all.

Quote Originally Posted by runningcyclist View Post
    Finally started commuting to work about 18 months ago and am loving cycling, even during the winter .
    Now that's brave! Living in southern California I rarely have to put up with wet streets, but they scare me because it's so easy to slip and crash.

Quote Originally Posted by runningcyclist View Post
    Hi everyone, space for a foreigner here?

I'm from the UK and took up cycling as a complete beginniner 5 years ago when I was 42. Not made much progress in that time as I 'parked' the bike for a few years because I was too scared to go out on the road.

A quasi-foreigner here!

I'm 42, took up cycling exactly a year ago as a complete beginner. I too commute in London rain or shine... and even, as last winter, in snow and ice. I was very anxious about going out on the roads. A two-hour one-on-one training session with Cycle Training UK kick-started me, giving me the confidence and 'tools' to get started.

Just leaving for work now in a soft summer rainstorm - accompanied by a 22-year-old university student doing a thesis paper on 'Cycling in London' - he gets to follow me for 10 miles with a video camera!
    Rebecca

Riley - custom 2014 Enigma Etape
    Bridget - 2010 Surly Cross Check
    Lorelei - 1979 Puch Princess mixte
    Astrid - 2014 Viking Bromley singlespeed mixte
    Lucy - bespoke 2012 Brompton S1L

Visit my blog: velovoice.blogspot.co.uk

Bifocal sunglasses

Quote Originally Posted by Marionette View Post
    I'm having kind of an eyewear problem at the moment, which does affect my riding. My contacts have been drying out, even when I wear wraparound sunglasses. So I've been thinking about switching to bifocal sunglasses and researching the various kinds of lenses, such as bifocals vs. progressives. Does anyone have an opinion on that?
    I've stuck with my contacts and I have to drink way more than I used to since I turned 50. I don't know what that's about, but I seem to have more trouble managing dehydration now that I'm ancient. Pair that with a bladder the size of a thimble and I'm in the bushes a lot.

I'd highly recommend ONOs. They're the best bifocal sunglasses I've ever seen and I love them for glancing down at my cycle computer or changing a flat. ONO makes prescription versions of their glasses, too. I love mine! I wrote a review of them for the magazine I work for.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    This thread should really be titled "over 50". 40 is way too young to make a big deal out of! Even 50 is pushing it.

50 is the new 40. 60 is the new 50. 70 is the new 60.....
    Lisa
    Our bikes...OurBikes...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    Ruby's Website and My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
    We're jumping the gun abit, aren't we? Am not deluding myself that reaching 60 will be another hot number. (will be awhile for myself to get there)

Just ask a 25-yr. old. : 50 yrs. is OLD.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    Just ask a 25-yr. old. : 50 yrs. is OLD.
    Why would I ask a 25 year what old is? They know nothing about age!

If 50 is OLD, then 25 is basically a toddler. LOL
    Lisa

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
    This thread should really be titled "over 50". 40 is way too young to make a big deal out of! Even 50 is pushing it.

+1. I completely agree. Over 50, maybe, but there ain't nothing different happening at 40 (or 42-43 in my case).

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    +1. I completely agree. Over 50, maybe, but there ain't nothing different happening at 40 (or 42-43 in my case).
    Well I realize we are all different, but yeah- I didn't really feel any different at 45 than I did at 35. In fact, I felt pretty much the same all the way from 25-45.
    But when I turned about 53 (I'm 56 now) I began to notice some changes due to my age. My mid fifties seemed to bring a few more generalized aches and pains and stiffness, a slight lessening of my endurance (such as it is, LOL), and definitely less tolerance for high heat and humidity.
    To keep fit I do biking, fitness walking, gardening, and dancing. Nothing competitive though, I've never been much of an athlete.
    Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by nuthatch View Post
    They're the best bifocal sunglasses I've ever seen and I love them for glancing down at my cycle computer or changing a flat. ONO makes prescription versions of their glasses, too.
    Thanks for the info on these. I'm still deciding whether to give up contacts or not. Maybe I should be switching contact lens brands to something that doesn't dry out my eyes so much. I have an eye exam coming up, so i'll ask a lot of questions before deciding.