Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Kids' Tri

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho

Kids' Tri

To disable ads, please log-in.

I saw this in the paper this morning. So cool!

Here's the snippet from the article, since you have to register to read the article online (note: I'm a big fan of the bugmenot website, through which you can search for generic usernames/passwords so that you can go on to sites like the one that has posted this article...but I digress):

A first, maybe not last, triathlon
    Nearly 1,000 children participated Sunday in swimming, biking and running events. The organizers' message? Make exercise fun so kids will make it a lifelong habit.

By Pamela Martineau -- Bee Staff Writer
    Published 12:01 am PDT Monday, August 14, 2006

Wearing a pink polka dotted bathing suit as she gripped her purple bicycle adorned with princesses, Reese Oliver anxiously waited her turn to start the mid-section of the California Kids Triathlon on Sunday. With her Batman training wheels steadying her, 5-year-old Reese steered her way through the cycling section of the nation's largest children's triathlon, which was held on the University of California, Davis, campus.

The event, open to children ages 4 to 17, is intended to expose kids to exercise and healthy lifestyles early in life so they will carry those habits into adulthood.

"Once they do it, they're hooked," he added.

The California Kids Triathlon is in its fifth year of existence and boasts a 95 percent return rate each year by its participants, Miramontes said. The distances for running, swimming and biking are age-appropriate.

For instance, kids participating in the 15-17 age group swam 200 yards, biked four miles and ran two miles. Kids in the 6 and under age group swam 25 yards, biked one mile and ran one quarter of a mile. About 35 percent of the kids who participated are from Davis. The others came from throughout Northern California.

Yellow! How nice to see you on the tri board!

They have a kids' tri here every year, associated with the big Accenture Tri. Last year my friend's 7 year old did it, and we went to cheer. SO CUTE. Some of the kids got in the water, started to cry, came back up on the beach to their mom and dad, and that was it for them! But other kids did the whole thing and it was wonderful to see. I'm thinking I'd like to volunteer to help with it next year.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

I forgot it was yesterday until the town was aswarm with the little buggers. It was great to see so many. All day long you'd see them here and there wearing their leg numbers like a badge of honor.

We dropped by Wheelworks and there was a teeny tiny Felt with Sora stuff, really spiffy kid's bike. The little girl and her dad were walking out the door so I didn't get a chance to talk with her. I did find out she'd had a fall and tweaked her levers. She'd gotten up from the crash and finished the race.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by yellow
    For instance, kids participating in the 15-17 age group swam 200 yards, biked four miles and ran two miles. Kids in the 6 and under age group swam 25 yards, biked one mile and ran one quarter of a mile. About 35 percent of the kids who participated are from Davis. The others came from throughout Northern California.
    FINALLY!! A triathlon than I can do!

What?...

I could pass for 16 if I had to.
    Road Bike: 2008 Orbea Aqua Dama TDF/Brooks B-68

Ellen
    www.theotherfoote.blogspot.com

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    Quote Originally Posted by Lise
    Yellow! How nice to see you on the tri board!
    Ah, well, I figure I can fake it as well as anyone.

My current triathlon is ride-eat-sleep. It's rough, I tell you. Training for the sleeping part is the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by yellow
    Ah, well, I figure I can fake it as well as anyone.

My current triathlon is ride-eat-sleep. It's rough, I tell you. Training for the sleeping part is the worst.
    Well, you know, sometimes it is, for me! OK, swimming is harder. So is running. Scritches to Ms. Pika!
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock