Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: 1st tri fears

1st tri fears

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi all! I was hoping you could give me some kind words and any advice for my first tri scheduled for September 9th. It's a super sprint, so it's only 1/4 mile swim, 17 mile bike, and 1 mile run. I see no problem with actually completing the event as I have been training for a few months now, but since it is my first actual organized event, I'm afraid of doing something wrong and truly showing my amateur status. My fears are as follows:
    1) transitions (what if I can't find my stuff or can't get my wetsuit off or start my run with my helmet still on???)
    2) what if I fall off my bike (just recently had my first fight with some railroad tracks and would hate to fall in front of a crowed during a competition)
    3) Getting beat up during the swim (I looked at alot of threads about this and I think I've already decided I'm going to swim to the outside)
    4) getting lost (is the bike and run usually pretty well marked?)

Also, I'm doing the Iron Girl Duathlon in Minnesota late September, is there any differences I need to know about between a tri and a du?

If anyone has any advice or lessons learned from your first tri event, please share!!!! I have already learned so much from reading all your threads, I really appreciate it!!!!

Roshelle from Milwaukee

Take a deep breath.

Trust me, the fear and worries are way worse than the reality.

Don't be too concerned about looking like an amature. A super sprint tri will attract people who want to try-a-tri... the pros probably won't be there... so most of the people are in the same boat as you are.

1) transitions (what if I can't find my stuff or can't get my wetsuit off or start my run with my helmet still on???)
    Practice transitions at your house. And actively tell yourself that you will take your helmet off when needed. If you are worried you won't be able to find your spot... buy a helium ballon the day before (get one of those silver ones it will last) and tie it to your area on race day.

2) what if I fall off my bike (just recently had my first fight with some railroad tracks and would hate to fall in front of a crowed during a competition)
    You will not fall off your bike. See yourself being strong on the bike and not falling. AND... if you do fall... then so what... you get back up and keep going. You won't be the first or last to fall off your bike in competition.

3) Getting beat up during the swim (I looked at alot of threads about this and I think I've already decided I'm going to swim to the outside)
    Stay to the outside, swim a little extra.. you will be fine. Plus, you won't have too many highly compeitive people there... so they will be less aggressive.

4) getting lost (is the bike and run usually pretty well marked?)
    Well, the path will be well marked. Volunteers will point the way.... and.. unless you are in first place... you will have people to follow. Trust me, you will NOT get lost.

Relax... have fun... remember to smile when you race and thank the volunteers. Talk to your fellow competitors... and you will find that you aren't alone in your fears.

Good luck!
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

KSH gave you great advice. You already know about the most important piece: The Right Towel. Is this tri in Lake Geneva? I remember seeing the description, and thinking that was a long bike portion for a super sprint. You most definitely won't get lost. Just follow all the other cyclists. And the route will be very well marked, with volunteers at every turn.

What kind of wet suit are you wearing? You might not even want to bother with it for a 1/4 mile swim. Then you don't have to worry about getting out of it.

Don't forget to put full water bottles on your bike. It sucks to be thirsty on the ride.

Keep some space between you and the other riders. You won't fall. The route will be well marked, and they will have done everything possible to make it smooth and obstacle free.

And have a BLAST!

I was hooked after I did my second tri. I immediately came home and got online looking for another one to do. I found the super sprint put on by Fleet Feet the weekend of Accenture. It was very fun, and I've been a triathlon-loving fool ever since!
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Thanks KSH and Lise,

Yes, it's the one in Lake Geneva. I was debating whether or not to wear the wetsuit as you are right it is not that long of a swim, but I wasn't sure of the norm. I think if the weather is warm I skip it all together.

I will make sure to load up the bike with water and anything else I think I might need. Do you guys usually compete with your usually goodies, spare tire, pump, tools? Or do you leave it behind during competitions?

Roshelle

Hi Roshelle,

Yeah, what they said ... great advice! I've thought of doing Lake Geneva the past few years, but between conferences etc. my work piles up in September. It's a beautiful location for a race!

I'd check the water temperature before you decide on the wetsuit thing, because Lake Geneva is a deep glacial lake. Do you have shops in Milwaukee that will rent wetsuits? I've never rented or worn one in a race, but I have a neoprene surfing shirt that I wear over my tri suit when the water's cold. I used it to train in Lake Michigan this past June and it took off most of the chill. You could get something like that; I think I got it on close-out from Sierra Trading Post for $40 or so. It's also handy for post-race Lake Michigan recreation, like kayaking, windsurfing etc.!

Good luck, and don't be self-conscious; everyone else there will be paying a lot more attention to what they're doing than what you're doing.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Howdy Roshelle,
    Wow-good luck out there at your first tri!!! It will be so much fun, and you'll have the BEST time. But be careful, because once you do one- you'll be hooked forever.
    Everyone had great advice. Just relax and enjoy the experience. You'll never get back your first tri, so enjoy the day and savor every moment.

The only other piece of advice I have is to take off your cycling gloves before the run. I ran with mine on during my first tri.

Have a great time, and be sure to let us know how it goes!!!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl
    The only other piece of advice I have is to take off your cycling gloves before the run. I ran with mine on during my first tri.
    Ha! I read an article in a tri magazine one time about doofy things people have done. Take off on the run, still wearing the bike helmet...be all ready to start the swim and realize that no one else was there because you were on the wrong side of the lake...put your wet suit on backwards and wonder why everyone elses' zipped up the back, not the front... Hilarious stuff that made me feel better about bringing a hand towel for my transition area.

Regarding the wetsuit--go according to lake temp. It'll probably be posted on the website. The super sprint I did was in Lake Michigan, and took place on the heels of two days of thunderstorms. The lake was so stirred up that it was freezing cold. The "swim" was so close to shore that the water was never deeper than our waists. Nobody in my wave swam. We all ran through the ice cold water, because if we put our faces in it, we couldn't breathe. It was soooo cold! The guy on the loudspeaker was yelling: "C'mon guys! It's not a duathlon! You're supposed to swim!" By contrast, Lake Zurich has always been so warm that you'd overheat wearing a full wetsuit. I wear my sleeveless, shortlegged one mainly to cover my bra and tri shorts.
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

I always take everything I'd need to change a tire in the smallest possible pack under my saddle. Best way to get a flat is to carry nothing with which to fix it! In my Bento box (little rectangular thing that straps to the top tube), I carry Clif blox, chapstick. Quick and easy reach.
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Thank you everyone!!

Thank you everyone so much!!!! I will be printing out this thread and taking it with me to 1) avoid any "oops items" people have done in the past and 2) your wonderful and much appreciated support.

I will DEFINITELY let you all know how it goes!!!

THANK YOU!!!!

Roshelle from Milwaukee

The "swim" was so close to shore that the water was never deeper than our waists. Nobody in my wave swam. We all ran through the ice cold water, because if we put our faces in it, we couldn't breathe. It was soooo cold! The guy on the loudspeaker was yelling: "C'mon guys! It's not a duathlon! You're supposed to swim!" By contrast, Lake Zurich has always been so warm that you'd overheat wearing a full wetsuit. I wear my sleeveless, shortlegged one mainly to cover my bra and tri shorts.
    HAHAHA!!!

Now, that is funny!!!!
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"