Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

USA airline prohibited items list

To disable ads, please log-in.

Am I reading this right? No gel cap Vitamin I, no hand sanitizer and no contact lens drops. Yeah, I'll definitely feel safer when I have a headache from the screaming baby, the great unwashed public's germs all over me and my lenses permanently glued to my eyeballs.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...new-items.shtm
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Kitsune06 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate
    Am I reading this right? No gel cap Vitamin I, no hand sanitizer and no contact lens drops. Yeah, I'll definitely feel safer when I have a headache from the screaming baby, the great unwashed public's germs all over me and my lenses permanently glued to my eyeballs.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...new-items.shtm
    Yup! Mmmmm Freedom!

I feel so much safer.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Yup. So safe.

1. Buy table vitamin I (yeah, I prefer the gel caps too)
    2. Wear your glasses
    3. Purell makes individual wipes - I carry 'em in my bike bag.

4. Fly naked

2. Wear your glasses - Nope, no can do. Can't see with them and I wear 30-day extended wear which begs the questions what the TSA is going to tell folks like us who would have to throw out a pair of contacts.

I have glasses with an old RX. Even when they were the correct Rx, I had a very difficult time driving. Depth of field is screwed up, no peripheral vision and I can't read street signs (or airport signs). You do not want me on the road in a strange town with them.

Never seen the Purell wipes. I'll have to stop at RiteAid on the way. Thanks. I'll pack some alcohol wipes out of the bike stuff just in case.

I go to Scottsdale tomorrow. This oughta be fun.

Fly nekkid. At least I'd scare away some of the great unwashed and wouldn't need to remove any shoes at security.

Guide dog?

I found the wipes at Longs, I think. Let me know if you can't find 'em, I hunt some down for you.

I think you can bring the items with you...you can bring them on in the luggage you check-in...not in your carry on.

I watched the news with interest this week, since I used to fly a lot, and they showed how liquid explosives can be a clear liquid. Apparently even small amounts are deadly. I know there are probably chemists on this board, and my info is just what I get on the news and it would be great to have their input. Personally, if I was still flying I would cheerfully give up any of the things they ask if there was any risk at all! I'm sure that they realized how this was going to disrupt travel, that they would catch a LOT of flack, and I'm inclined to think that these controls were not implemented on a whim, but that there truly is a risk. How many people complain after a disaster or crash that more should have been done?

Yes, the liquid restrictions are annoying - and yes, I did fly this past weekend. (I have very dry eyes and need my eye drops, not allowed! If I am traveling somewhere that is a long flight, I will ask my eye doc to give me a prescription for the over-the-counter drops that he wants me to use; I was allowed to carry on my 2x a day prescription drops.). I was lucky in that I was staying with my sister, so I opted to use her toilet articles rather than check baggage (in which case I could have carried all of my own liquid things in my checked bag).

But I think (no, I know) that I'd rather that extra precautions are taken than not. And we should feel lucky that our domestic flights didn't have the restrictions that flights to from here to the UK and back had over the past couple of days - no carry-on items at all except for a wallet and passport.

The severe liquid restrictions for medications have been eased somewhat this morning (looks like my eye drops problem is fixed...). Here's the updated "allowed liquids list" from the TSA web site:
    Exceptions: Baby formula and breast milk if a baby or small child is traveling; prescription medicine with a name that matches the passenger’s ticket; up to 8 oz of liquid or gel insulin and up to 4 oz. of non-prescription liquid medications.
    --- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

YES! Eye drops have been my main concern. As others have said, I would willingly give up carrying them on the plane if that's what needed to happen. I'd probably get the individual droppers, and put some in just before getting on the plane, then pitch the container. My other personal discomfort is lip dryness. I was thinking of putting some vaseline on a q-tip and carrying that in a zip lock baggie. I next fly in October. We'll see how things are looking then.

I get it about liquid explosives. I'm glad they're being so careful. There are people out there who do nothing but work all day to destroy the world the rest of us live in. If they can be thwarted because I'll leave my eye drops and chapstick behind, then OK.
    alas, I just went to the website, and eye drops are still prohibited. But solid lip gloss is allowed. I'm guessing they mean something like chapstick or a tin of lip balm? OK. No q-tip with vaseline needed, but still pick up the individual eye drop things. And make all flights very, very short. Yes, I have six layovers on the way to my brother's wedding. Sure, it wastes time and money, but my eyes won't be dry!
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Hmmmm...can't you just put the little bottle of plastic drops in your top (bra) and bring it on with you? Then again, if they caught you pulling it out, you'd probably get arrested and then you'd have a new set of problems.
    I know this is the world we live in now, sad but true. It's unfortunate, but something we have no choice about, and if it is safer, or even if it only makes us feel safer (don't even get me started on what you're allowed to check in vs. what you can carry on board-like something in checked baggage couldn't be used to do bad things), then it's OK with me.
    Hope your eyes don't dry out too much! Have a safe flight!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Duck on Wheels was flying in the "thick of it" on that day. She was in England where she met up with UK Eliphant. Next she e-mailed me from Copenhagen, where she had an hour's wait for flight home to Norway. The next I hear is from our Mom that she arrived in Trondheim....with all her luggage, and even on schedule in spite of all the extra security.

I'll try to get a first hand report.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Glad the Duck got through OK, Trek. Thanks for the update. L.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

(don't even get me started on what you're allowed to check in vs. what you can carry on board-like something in checked baggage couldn't be used to do bad things),
    They go through your stuff that's checked now, too. That's why you shouldn't lock your bag, because they are going to break the lock to go through it.

It is my understanding that the liquids have to be mixed and that's what causes the explosion...no one would have access to them to mix up the cocktail if they were in the hold.

It is also my understanding that it doesn't take much to destroy a plane after you put a hole in the side--a pressurized jet is basically a can of compressed air after it gets up in the sky. A small whole caused by a minor explosion expands when the pressure is let out, and then the other side of the plane would rupture, too. Catastrophe.

Now let's go FLY! lol.

Karen