Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

If not taking your eye drops onboard a flight is the worst thing in the world maybe you should count your blessings. You could always take a train, bus or car instead. I have been flying everyday since Thursday and everyone on the flights have been VERY understanding. I didn't hear even one complaint about the new restrictions, which I was surprised about. Also, all airports sell toiletries at stores if you are desperate for something that is banned during your sit time between flights! Unfortunately no one will answer yes to the question "Are you a terrorist?'

Quote Originally Posted by aka_kim
    I'm waiting for the day when we're stripped down, strip searched, forcibly restrained to our seats, and then given general anesthesia for the duration of the flight. Really. I can't wait.
    I think the general anesthesia would be better if administered when you enter the airport.

What a big ridiculous royal pain!
    Grandmas with lipsticks are NOT planning to blow up any airplanes soon.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby
    I think the general anesthesia would be better if administered when you enter the airport.

What a big ridiculous royal pain!
    Grandmas with lipsticks are NOT planning to blow up any airplanes soon.
    I agree that you are probably right, but it's kind of an all or nothing thing or we get into the very slippery slope of racial profiling.

hurleygirl Guest
    I'm glad I'm not planning on flying anywhere anytime soon. I will be going to Florida to visit my mother in October. I usually just bring a single carry-on bag, and I think I'll just mail my bag of travel toiletries to her a few days before.

The only beauty items I need are my chapstick, and toothbrush and toothpaste. I really get weird about my teeth if I can't brush them after I eat. But I have a bunch of tiny toothpaste tubes, so I suppose I'll bring one of those and just pitch it at the airport.

I usually travel with a bottle of water, but I'll bring a smaller one and finish it off before I get in line. Does this also mean that you won't be able to buy food in the terminals? I can imagine how dehydrated travelers will get if their flight is delayed and they can't even get any water.

This also leads me to wonder how much waste was generated the day these restrictions went into effect. Travellers were given no warning, and the news showed pictures of bins and bins of discarded items - all still perfectly good. What happened to all that stuff?

does anyone know if they are checking carry ons when you go though security only or right before you get on the plane?

if its only security, can't you buy stuff once you get through security and carry that on you. i'm sure they have toothpaste, chapstick and the like in those little stores, so you could actually still carry it on with you.
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.

They just toss all that stuff.
    When they were afraid that some old man would heist a jet with nail clippers
    a few years back, i inquired as they took my nail clippers and my tiny folding scissors.. They told me it all got thrown out.

Too bad you can't take a train to Italy.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

Quote Originally Posted by chickwhorips
    does anyone know if they are checking carry ons when you go though security only or right before you get on the plane?

if its only security, can't you buy stuff once you get through security and carry that on you. i'm sure they have toothpaste, chapstick and the like in those little stores, so you could actually still carry it on with you.
    In the airports that I went through this past weekend, they are spot-checking bags at the gate in addition to the x-ray at security. I also heard that the stores inside of security are now prohibited from selling liquid/gel toilet articles.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleygirl
    I usually travel with a bottle of water, but I'll bring a smaller one and finish it off before I get in line. Does this also mean that you won't be able to buy food in the terminals? I can imagine how dehydrated travelers will get if their flight is delayed and they can't even get any water.
    The stores can still sell drinks beyond the security point - but you can't take them on the plane with you.

--------------------------------
    I was lucky in that my travel started on Friday, and by then it appeared that all of the travelers around me were aware of the rules - so the security checkpoints weren't any slower than normal. I was able to carry my prescription eyedrops which were in individual "serving size" containers - but I did have a copy of my prescription with me.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

That's a good point. It could get expensive but it would be nice to be able to get the stuff you want. Maybe if it's not okay now, they will move that direction.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

DeniseGoldberg "The stores can still sell drinks beyond the security point - but you can't take them on the plane with you."

so they confiscate or you toss the drink before the security point, buy another after that point, toss it before the flight, buy another on the flight....all I can say is I hope they are recycling

and....all this about water and toothpaste and are they checking the luggage and cargo yet??? Hope there are no lipstick wearing terrorist grandmas on TE.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Start flying Jet Blue! I swear they came around 3 or 4 times on my flight from NY to CA with free drinks (non alchoholic). And there really is more room between the rows. On United et al. I have to slide in sideways, not neccessary on Jet Blue. I hope they make it as an airline.

V.

TandemHearts.com

While our corporations can now make even more money off our airport purchases, our ports remain unchecked and we rely on other countries to keep us Americans safe. Thank you, England and John Cleese.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Somewhere in Grad school when I was actively doing research I remember hearing a phrase that went: Greatest Good for Greatest Number. I think this is the phrase that pharm. companies use, now bein coined by airlines. I have always been a white knuckled flier and this stuff makes me so nervous. If they wanted me to board a plane buck neckid I would, I have no problem with heightened security. What bothers me is that our US government has failed to catch these creeps. What exactly is our national security doing??
    I suppose my posts will be scrutinized from now on.

karen
    not a terroist just a confused citizen
    Quitting is NOT an option!
    Know the signs of stroke!! www.stroke.org

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica
    Start flying Jet Blue! I swear they came around 3 or 4 times on my flight from NY to CA with free drinks (non alchoholic). And there really is more room between the rows. On United et al. I have to slide in sideways, not neccessary on Jet Blue. I hope they make it as an airline.

V.

they don't fly to alaska.

best service i had was on China Airlines going down to PI.
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.

Quote Originally Posted by massbikebabe
    What bothers me is that our US government has failed to catch these creeps. What exactly is our national security doing??
    I suppose my posts will be scrutinized from now on.

karen
    not a terroist just a confused citizen
    ha you and me both. Our government has given millions of dollars to security to little tiny towns in the middle of nowhere while big cities (like NYC) have had to CUT their funding for security because there wasn't enuf.
    When i am in the airport, I do not cause trouble, I quietly go along with whatever indignity and BS that they are doing, but that doesn't mean I like
    it or even think it is useful or effective. and the poor souls who work in the airport get the worst of it all!
    YOU WANT MY WHAT????!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

they don't fly to alaska.
    Maybe eventually they will. They just started going to Maine in May.

V.

TandemHearts.com