Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Just to re-assure you folks - BAA (that's the British Airport Authority) has announced they have 'lost' 5,000 pieces of hand baggage. Yes that's 5,000 - that's the hand baggage they stopped people carrying on to planes in case it contained explosive material.

Apparently they are not 'lost' they are 'in the system' - some may have been sent to other airports in error. So what happened to the rule that your baggage couldn't fly without you?
    If it's not one thing it's another

Quote Originally Posted by SalsaMTB
    I know, I've been trying to figure out what to do. My trip is less than 2 weeks away, so I can't expedite it. There are places you can go for quicker service, the closest one is like a 4 or 5 hour drive, and of course, they're only open on during the week. Hmmm....maybe it's worth it. Like I said, last time I went to Japan, no questions were asked, they didn't even look at my marriage license. Now, though, I'm a bit nervous!
    I am going to have a similar issue pretty soon. We are going to Ukraine in 2 weeks and my passport and green card have different names. I am taking every single document with me to prove that I am not an "elefant". Now I am also pragnent and cannot imagine going through the airport without my water. Plus my vitamins are gelled. So, what am I supposed to do? This is just going to very annoying.

Lenusik--speaking as a midwife, I would not worry about you missing a day or two of vitamins. They are a good supplement, but your food is your baby's greatest nourishment. Please do drink lots of water in the week before you travel, while you're in the airport, and then on the plane. I am sure the flight attendants will be helpful with that. I wonder if you could bring an empty water bottle with you and ask them to fill it on the plane?

Also remember to get up and walk frequently to prevent blood clots in your legs.

Take care,

Lise
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

hmmmmm you pack your vitamins in your checked baggage... and once you are on the plane an in the air... you ask for a glass of water?

i guess i don't understand the whole "bring water on the plane" thing... cuz i've never done it... i always just get water and/or soda or juice from them... they start serving it shortly after lift off?????

now eye drops... chap stick (and electronics for entertainment for some) i can see being annoyed about not having them.... but water.. and make up... and deoderant.. and vitamins... you can take them... just have to pack them in checked baggage!

Quote Originally Posted by Lise
    Lenusik--speaking as a midwife, I would not worry about you missing a day or two of vitamins. They are a good supplement, but your food is your baby's greatest nourishment. Please do drink lots of water in the week before you travel, while you're in the airport, and then on the plane. I am sure the flight attendants will be helpful with that. I wonder if you could bring an empty water bottle with you and ask them to fill it on the plane?
    Also remember to get up and walk frequently to prevent blood clots in your legs.
    Take care,
    Lise
    Thanks, Lise. I am not afraid of missing my vitamins. But it is a matter of principle. Some things just do not make sense. Being 9 hours on a plane without tooth paste is really annoying. Now I have to stock brush ups. But I want to have my own water with lemon in my own bottle. I don't think that I am asking for too much especially if I am drinking in from of the security personnel. I hope that they do not suggest that I drink explosives. I just need to stay positive and go with the flow. I am finally going home after 5 years, I have to stay positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenusik
    Thanks, Lise. I am not afraid of missing my vitamins. But it is a matter of principle. Some things just do not make sense. Being 9 hours on a plane without tooth paste is really annoying. Now I have to stock brush ups. But I want to have my own water with lemon in my own bottle. I don't think that I am asking for too much especially if I am drinking in from of the security personnel. I hope that they do not suggest that I drink explosives. I just need to stay positive and go with the flow. I am finally going home after 5 years, I have to stay positive.
    rules are rules.... and if the rule is no water.. the i wouldn't even push the issue... they will give you water once you are on the plane and in the air. you just need to understand that they aren't going to bend the rules for one person to allow you to take your own water! plus all you'll end up doing is holding up the line of people behind you that are waiting to get through security!

there really is no "matter of principle" here... it's all a matter of safety and RULES....

as for freshening your breath... take a stick of gum... then once you are off the plane and have your checked luggage back... brush your teeth! i would never use icky plane bathroom water to brush my teeth... ewwwwww!

I must say that I'm glad that I flew to Dallas a few weeks ago and not after the bomb scare. :/ I have many medications which are labeled to me, under the name everyone knows me by, and not by my old asian name that only my parents call me. :/ It would mean getting new prescriptions filled out, mail ordered, etc etc... and since I have 8 separate prescriptions, from three different doctors, it would definately be a pain.

Keeping the meds in their original bottles is also a pain. I'm having to now mail order my medications, so each bottle holds typically 3 months of medication. If I lost my meds, I believe the insurance that I have would require that I pay for the replacement out of pocket. We're talking about $6k. :/ And since I need those meds to live, the alternative isn't very good.

*sigh*

I think I'm going to avoid flying for a while again.

Mel

Some of us can't chew gum; I've always found it a lousy alternative to teeth brushing, and it hurts my jaws and teeth.

I'm like Lenusik, I go everywhere with my water bottle. I'd rather bring my own than have some poor cabin attendant running down the aisle every time I want a drink. Considering I can finish off a liter easily, that would be a lot of running.

On many flights I've been on, there either is no service or too many needy people monopolizing the attendants. Then they barely have time to do much else but run down the aisle throwing pretzels.

hmmmmm well... take some lifesavers.... breath mints.... tic tacs..... ..

as for the water... well.. if anyone is going to fly... they are just going to have to go with the flow or change their plans until such time that you are allowed to haul your water with you.... (geez... if i drank all that water... i'd be annoying the passenger next to me getting up to go pee every 2 minutes! )

Gaaah, I just found out I'm flying to DC next week.

I so don't want to deal with airlines right now!

Quote Originally Posted by caligurl
    hmmmmm well... take some lifesavers.... breath mints.... tic tacs..... ..

as for the water... well.. if anyone is going to fly... they are just going to have to go with the flow or change their plans until such time that you are allowed to haul your water with you.... (geez... if i drank all that water... i'd be annoying the passenger next to me getting up to go pee every 2 minutes! )
    I usually sleep during long flights and don't need to drink all that much. But pregantn women tend to be thirsty - ALL THE TIME. Besides they aslo go to the bathroom more often. So, I am not planning to "save" anybody from my needs. I alreasy bought some brush ups to replace toothpaste. This should help.

Quote Originally Posted by caligurl

i guess i don't understand the whole "bring water on the plane" thing... cuz i've never done it... i always just get water and/or soda or juice from them... they start serving it shortly after lift off?????
    Caligurl,
    I fly to Italy... The legs of the flights can be 8 or 10 hours or longer. I can assure you they do not give you enough water. I always (in the past) carried a water bottle and on one of these long flights, if you don't drink enough; you're going to get dehydrated.. So I practically run up and down the aisles of the plane, (to keep my legs from driving me nuts) and get water often too.
    I also go to the bathroom a lot...
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by SalsaMTB
    See, this is what I was wondering. I understand the need to eliminate liquids because of the risk, but if it takes such a small amount, you really think the people who want to blow up the plane will not think of taping it to their leg or something? They wouldn't put it in their carry-on, they would just put it in their pocket. You can't catch it in the metal detector. So, are they searching every person that walks through the gate?? I understand the need, but to say my sealed container of eye drops is not OK to bring, but to just let everyone walk to the metal detectors and not pat them down seems a little silly.
    Yep. They are patting down everybody. Which, for me, means explaining to a new security agent at each flight what an ostomy bag is. Anyways ... at least this trip no stupid person in uniform asked me to take it off and show it to him/her ! But back to the general pat-down procedure: That's what makes the security line snake all the way through the pre-security shopping area now -- sloooooowly! That, and people who try arguing with the staff about their hand cream or eye drops or whatever. My conclusions after flying to and from UK on the first days of this:
    1) Be prepared! Get prescriptions for whatever liquids you need. Pack according to the current list. Allow plenty of boarding time.
    2) Be patient! It takes the time it takes. People are doing their best. Planes are running pretty much on time. Nothing has blown up yet.
    3) Remember the silver linings: Less hand luggage means more leg space! Scared off fellow passengers can mean an empty seat beside you!
    4) Forget about arguing. It gets you nowhere. It only adds irritation to your trip.
    5) Remember travel insurance! Lost luggage? Yes, it's more likely with even your "cabin" baggage checked, but who cares? 4 hours delayed luggage means I get to do $300 worth of shopping. And then eventually the old stuff turns up again. Just be sure to email any vital documents to yourself (like the notes for that lecture you're travelling to hold), then you can always print them out again at the other end if they're lost.
    6) Water rules: The day I travelled, you COULD buy water inside and take it with you EXCEPT on flights to/from the UK. Now they may be more restrictive on that. But attendants were more than usually attendant about hydration. They were there with the water & juice every few minutes, it seemed.
    7) For me the strangest rule was that you're not allowed to take any reading materials with you through security, but you can buy them inside and take them on the plane. So post-security the shops are hurting on liquor sales, but making out like thieves on sales of books, newspapers, etc. Oh well. silver linings again: It forced me NOT to try working on the plane, and it "forced" me to buy more recreational literature.
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck on Wheels
    But back to the general pat-down procedure: That's what makes the security line snake all the way through the pre-security shopping area now -- sloooooowly! That, and people who try arguing with the staff about their hand cream or eye drops or whatever.

4) Forget about arguing. It gets you nowhere. It only adds irritation to your trip.
    that's what've been saying... rules are rules... and arguing only slows down the line behind you (but everyone here seems to want to argue about that, too!)

your point.... and my point.. the rules are there... no point in arguing at the airport to try to get your way... you know the rules... either cancel your flight or go with the flow... figure out alternatives....

Quote Originally Posted by Duck on Wheels
    Yep. They are patting down everybody.
    Honestly, I guess I'm sort of glad they are patting down everyone. Seems a lot more secure when we're talking liquid explosives!