Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip
    For eye drops, can you soak cotton balls in the eye drop solution and then put the cotton balls in a ziplock bag, and then squeeze the eye drops out of the cotton balls when you need them for your eyes?
    lol! you don't wear contacts, do you!

For eye drops, can you soak cotton balls in the eye drop solution and then put the cotton balls in a ziplock bag, and then squeeze the eye drops out of the cotton balls when you need them for your eyes?
    That sounds like a good way to get unwanted fibers in your eyes, to say nothing of the fact that it wouldn't be a sanitary method of dispensing eye drops...
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by caligurl
    lol! you don't wear contacts, do you!
    No I don't, but I was not thinking of contact solution; I was thinking of regular eyedrops, like Visine or something.

No I don't, but I was not thinking of contact solution; I was thinking of regular eyedrops, like Visine or something.
    for me the big deal of needing eye drops is for my contacts! the dry airplane air dries them out something wicked! (same goes for the chapstick!!) i'm so glad i don't have any trips planned right now!)

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseGoldberg
    That sounds like a good way to get unwanted fibers in your eyes, to say nothing of the fact that it wouldn't be a sanitary method of dispensing eye drops...
    Well, considering that I don't have a problem with dry eyes, I don't have to worry about it. The suggestion was meant to perhaps help someone, but I suppose it does not.

I've heard that Visine and similar drops can become habit-forming. Have y'all found this to be true? It would be a shame to have to rely on drops for healthy eyes to function normally.

I've heard that Visine and similar drops can become habit-forming. Have y'all found this to be true? It would be a shame to have to rely on drops for healthy eyes to function normally.
    YIKES! i hadn't heard that... and i agree... it would be a shame! (any dependancy is not a good thing!)

i know i try, even with my contacts, to NOT use drops unless i HAVE to! on planes is a HAVE to situation... especially if i've fallen asleep in them!

Visine does not fall in the category of a good eye drop (as in a drop recommended for use by a doc!).

My eye doctor has recommended several eye drops for my use (different brands, but all classified as handling moderate to severe dry eye), all of which are supposed to be preservative-free in the eye (which is an interesting characteristic since there are preservatives of a sort in the drops). It's not a case of the drops becoming habit-forming in my case - there are eye conditions that require drops to help maintain a healthy eye.

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Visine does not fall in the category of a good eye drop (as in a drop recommended for use by a doc!).

My eye doctor has recommended several eye drops for my use (different brands, but all classified as handling moderate to severe dry eye), all of which are supposed to be preservative-free in the eye (which is an interesting characteristic since there are preservatives of a sort in the drops). It's not a case of the drops becoming habit-forming in my case - there are eye conditions that require drops to help maintain a healthy eye.

--- Denise
    Of course, medically-necessary drops are needed to maintain healthy eyes for some conditions--drops for pressure (glaucoma), for example. Alot of people use Visine who do not have a medical condition that requires drops. My opthamologist said to be careful using drops (OTC, not prescription) since they can become habit-forming. My MIL uses Visine constantly, I don't know what she's going to do on the plane when she comes over from France for a visit in a few weeks.

I have only one good eye, so I'm quite careful about it. Luckily, I don't need any drops. My messed up part is the retina, which is way back out of the reach of any drops (and drops wouldn't help at this point anyways).

Oh well, all of you who need eye drops, I wish you the best on the airplane.

Quote Originally Posted by Susarific
    If not taking your eye drops onboard a flight is the worst thing in the world maybe you should count your blessings. You could always take a train, bus or car instead. I have been flying everyday since Thursday and everyone on the flights have been VERY understanding. I didn't hear even one complaint about the new restrictions, which I was surprised about. Also, all airports sell toiletries at stores if you are desperate for something that is banned during your sit time between flights! Unfortunately no one will answer yes to the question "Are you a terrorist?'
    Susarific, I’d like to respond to your post personally after looking at your profile. I am mystified as to where you saw anyone state that not having eye drops is the worst thing in the world, but I can imagine that you didn’t hear any complaints. Well-mannered people don’t voice such complaints to someone who is already in a stressful situation without control over events. With such a recent event, everyone is in a bit of shock and just trying to cope. Complaining to a stressed flight attendant or to other passengers during the flight ridiculously increases stress levels without any opportunity to affect a solution; it is just a waste of time and counter productive. After all, you control our access to water, the most power to be had in the universe. I know I certainly wouldn’t say anything on the plane or in the hearing of any airport personnel in those first few days.

Please also realize that those of us who don’t spend hours daily in airports may not be as intimately acquainted as you are with the items available airport shops. They are very expensive and I buy from them only in a crisis. I looked on TSA’s website for any information regarding Denise’s statement:
    I also heard that the stores inside of security are now prohibited from selling liquid/gel toilet articles.
    But, I didn’t find anything. From personal experience, I also know that the airports all operate independently of each other and the TSA at times. TSA will say one thing and the airport will do another at their own discretion. In other words, one cannot depend on the availability of items in the stores or the stores even being open.

You may have not heard any complaints, but that doesn’t mean there weren’t any and that some of those complaints weren’t justified.

By the way, look back through the thread. You’ll see that by starting the thread many of us learned a few tips and tips for traveling -- a positive outcome of having an open discussion and we shared some humor at a time of national issues. I hope that your daily job will return to a more normal status soon.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Since I'm scheduled for some business related travel coming up soon - I have a question about those who have been flying... I don't medically need anything and the restrictions are really just an inconvenience but I am old and cranky and wondered... the worse thing for me is 1) not being to have water with me at all times and 2) not being able to have my iPod.

Are the airlines sensitive to the fact that we won't be bringing on water and are they quick to offer some? I was hoping some have figured out they can give it away at the door as we board.

Second my iPod has gotten me through long waits at airports and also helps calm and sooth my nerves while flying especially if there's some screaming kids or chatty folks sitting next to me. Has anyone had a problem brining on their iPod? I heard it's restricted.

Frankly since 911 I lost my joy of flying and now avoid it at all costs. The new restrictions just add to my all ready mounting anxiety.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Pam,

Domestic flights are allowing personal electronics again (iPods, laptops, etc.) so you should be okay.

ipods and such are not restricted in the US. As far as water, the airlines haven't changed the way they dole out drinks. I made sure I visited the water fountain before I boarded the plane and had gum or something to keep my mouth moist. The upside is that I didn't have to use the bathroom every fifteen minutes!

I can only speak for the airline that I work for, but they are boarding extra sodas, juice and water. Also, if someone asks for an extra beverage we have no problem giving it to them provided they ask for something that we have. We can't give out whole bottles of water, but really we're pretty accomodating.

From reading the thread it seemed that people were pretty unpleased about the situation with the TSA especially the eye drop issue. It just seems to me that in situations like this it is easy to lose perspective of why they are doing this, it's just to keep everyone safe. As for people complaining to stressed out flight attendants... in my experience people are very vocal about what they like and don't like regarding anything air travel related. Trust me people have NO problem complaining about things like this. Those who I did speak to about the TSA regs. were very understanding, like I said I was surprised. Anyway, good luck to those of you who are travelling this week.

I don't think I'd ever want to be a flight attendant. I couldn't be nice for that long.

Remember CC's post about the guy from Florida wanting pancakes ... Imagine a plane with 20 more like him. There's a reason for the term "Ugly American." Well I'm sure everyone on TE is generally polite and well mannered, manners do seem to have flown the coop in our society.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com