Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question Bird noises.....

To disable ads, please log-in.

The weather out here today was absolutely beautiful so Ben and I enjoyed a 20 mile ride out in the country.

At around mile 12, I started hearing birds chirping - kind of in sequence, sort of a 'whistling' sound.......but this sound kept following me.
    It was really starting to irritate me ....

I started to think of Alfred Hitchcock's, "The Birds", and as well, Tippy Hedren.... The sound was that piercing!
    This noise happens when I am pedaling (only) -- so, I had 8 more miles of pedaling to go before we got to the car to get the spray for the chain....

This seemed to help about 90%, but I didn't take it for a long enough ride to really see.
    Does anyone have an idea as to what this might be?

Thanks a lot!

Have a great evening.

Denise

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals".
    Immanuel Kant

Kitsune06 Guest
    Could be any number of things. Is it a particular leg? if then, it could *possibly* be the saddle... if it seems lower, I would start to wonder about the bottom bracket, or maybe your pedals...

Good luck and keep us updated~

somone else had this same question / problem recently - try lubing your jockey wheels (the two little plastic gears on your rear derailleur). If lubing doesn't work, they may need to be replaced.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Hi Kitsune & Eden!

Thanks for your input -- I appreciate it very much.

I know for sure that it's not the saddle.

When I'm off the bike, I lift it & turn the pedals forward, the chirping & squealing noise is coming right from where the pedals are. Only makes noise when I'm pedaling. (noise doesn't seem to be from the pedals).

There's a couple of shops open tomorrow, but I really hope that it's nothing too serious....... Another beautiful day and we want to go ride .

Have a great rest of the night everyone.

Denise

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals".
    Immanuel Kant

Well, I sprayed some dry lube on the chain & surrounding areas...... And, my little trial ride around the parking lot seemed to be fine - no "bird" noise...

So, we're on our way for a nice ride!

Thanks for your help

Denise

Immanuel Kant

Oh well.... our ride late this afternoon turned out to be 6 miles rather than 20+ .......

That chirping noise is still there, and now appears to be coming from the rear derailleur or cassette & freewheel service.

Kitsune: I believe on another thread you mentioned the "Park Tool Website", and that's where I found the names that I mentioned above. (well.... I knew 'derailleur'....but, the other I didn't .
    I'm going to really check out that site tonight -- lots & lots of very informative stuff.

So, I'll call my lbs tomorrow and I HOPE that he'll be able to check it out & fix whatever the problem is so that I can go riding tomorrow.... I don't want to be without my bike for long!

Have a wonderful evening everyone.

Denise

Immanuel Kant