Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Talking Well... I did it...

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just got back from ordering my new bike at Rivendell.

I decided it was time I built up a light double century event bike. This urge to keep doing these crazy rides is not going away. At least it's not growing and I haven't quite let MP convince me to do an entire brevet series.

So what did I get?

A Legolas.

http://rivbike.com/html/Legolas.html

I could have gotten any color, but that's just too much to think about... so I'm going with the standard red and I'll accessorize with black. I decided to go with a compact double. I'm sure some of you are gasping in disbelief. But it's going to be a 46 - 33 in the front with an 11 - 34 rear. The smallest gear will be about 9% taller than my current smallest. But I think that I will still be able to get up Diablo with that - maybe I'll have to stand on the 17% now.

It's going to have a Phil Wood Bottom Bracket, a Chris King headset in black. I've asked for Campy Record Carbon Brake Levers. The Legolas has cantilever brakes, so I asked for the Paul Neo Retro ones.

The wheels are going to be built up by Rich at Rivendell. The goal is something stiff like my Mavics, but without the tendency to toss me around in a cross wind and lighter.

It should be done in about 3 weeks.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

suh-weeeeeet !

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica
    I just got back from ordering my new bike at Rivendell.

I decided it was time I built up a light double century event bike. This urge to keep doing these crazy rides is not going away. At least it's not growing and I haven't quite let MP convince me to do an entire brevet series.

So what did I get?

A Legolas.

http://rivbike.com/html/Legolas.html

I could have gotten any color, but that's just too much to think about... so I'm going with the standard red and I'll accessorize with black. I decided to go with a compact double. I'm sure some of you are gasping in disbelief. But it's going to be a 46 - 33 in the front with an 11 - 34 rear. The smallest gear will be about 9% taller than my current smallest. But I think that I will still be able to get up Diablo with that - maybe I'll have to stand on the 17% now.

It's going to have a Phil Wood Bottom Bracket, a Chris King headset in black. I've asked for Campy Record Carbon Brake Levers. The Legolas has cantilever brakes, so I asked for the Paul Neo Retro ones.

The wheels are going to be built up by Rich.

It should be done in about 3 weeks.

V.
    3 weeks!! wow! congrats (they told my husband 2 years so he isn't getting
    a Rivendell!)

sounds lovely. i love red and black stuff.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

It's two years for a custom Rivendell. The Legolas is a production bike, just like the Rambouillet and Atlantis. I love my Rambouillet and in my size the Legolas is like a lighter version - practically the same geometry.

One thing I forgot to mention - I'm sticking with bar end shifters.

V.

TandemHearts.com

Mimi, it is 2 years for a custom Rivendell frame. The Legolas is a boutique production frame like the Ramboillet and Atlantis.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

It's two years for a custom Rivendell. The Legolas is a production bike, just like the Rambouillet and Atlantis. I love my Rambouillet and in my size the Legolas is like a lighter version - practically the same geometry.

One thing I forgot to mention - I'm sticking with bar end shifters.

V.
    Ha! You beat me to it and I guessed the shifters.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Dynohub?

Very cool V! I can't wait to see her/him!

edit: Red bikes are very fast!

Quote Originally Posted by jobob
    Dynohub?

Mark and I discussed it. Thom thinks it's a good idea. Mark thinks it makes the bike heavy. I think, just get faster so I don't need so much light.

V.

TandemHearts.com

Congratulations V - its beautiful. I love it when someone buys a new bike for me to oggle. Make sure you post some pics once you have your new baby at home.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

give me just a sec here to wipe the drool off the keyboard, the monitor, my jersey (ok....that's sweaty I wouldn't know the diff)......not only did you get a Rivendell but you got the one named after the one character in Lord of the Rings that I've been in lust with since I was about 13 yrs old and read LOTR for the first time. My feelings right now are wayyyyyyyyyyy beyond envy they've entered into denial - I'll just pretend I didn't read this post and then it really didn't happen!

What a neat deal V - I can't wait to hear how it works out for you on those killer centuries.

(did you get the red to go with your cashmere jersey and pearls? lol)
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by CorsairMac

(did you get the red to go with your cashmere jersey and pearls? lol)
    Red has always been my favorite color, although lately I've been getting a lot of pink stuff. So when they first came out I was in serious lust.

I've been e mailing Mark about the various parts - so much to choose and think about. I thought I wanted a Phil Wood bottom bracket...but they are not that light.

I need to choose cranks...

I want a black Finesse saddle, but the ones at Wallbike don't have bag loops. I actually use the bag loops. The ones on the Brooks site have bag loops.

And of course I want to get it all decided so it can be ordered, so it can be built, so I can ride it...

V.

TandemHearts.com

V - have you checked ebay for the saddle? A friend of mine just bought one there, a Swift, with bag loops. Wallbike didn't have it either.

So how much weight are you going to lose (from the bike, not your bod)? And how many minutes will that translate into on Diablo?

Congrats. Sounds nice.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Maybe so, but I'm going to have cooler on the trailer, so we can have picnics.
    Oh. That's totally different. Nevermind.