Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

nutrition while riding

To disable ads, please log-in.

I would like to know which of the "power bar" type of foods or "goo" work the best while riding long distances to keep the carbs up. I also sweat a lot and lose a lot of fluid while riding and would like to know about different sport drinks that work. Any thoughts on this topic would be appreciated.

My favorite gel is PowerGel Strawberry-Banana. I can choke it down easier than the others. It seems like eating toothpaste but is very helpful on long rides for me without adding too many calories.

On shorter rides (40 miles or less) I usually like one rest stop to refuel quickly with a banana and some cold water. I can feel the point when my body is out of food and starts to use fat. I need to let that happen and ride past it because I have had trouble carrying too much weight in the past despite the fact that I ride over 4000 miles a year.

Re: nutrition while riding

When I was riding competitively a few years ago, my favorite was Gu - Vanilla Bean flavor. It kinda reminds me a little of vanilla frosting. Often when I'm riding hard, there are many foods/flavors that I can't stomach, but the Gu went down really easy. I did manage to splurt most of a package over my hands during one ride (can you say "sticky"!!) but then I got accustomed to opening them on the fly and managed to get it all in my mouth thereafter. :-)

Sports drinks - I confess I've never been big on these. Mostly, I just use water. But I find most of the drinks way too sweet/strong and if I do use them, I water them down quite a bit. My favorite was Shaklee's product, which you have to buy through a rep. The worst I've ever had is All Sport. Totally vile!

Smile Sports drink

Try Cytomax sports drink. You just mix it with water. It actually taste good!
    I put it in an insulated water bottle and it stays cold.

Thumbs up power bars

As far as power bars go, Luna bar (makers of Cliff bars) is great. I even keep one in my purse for days with no time for lunch!

Unhappy problem with cytomax

i have a problem with cytomax. i bought the tangy orange to try and i found it gave me energy SPIKES! i tried it mountain biking. I found i would practically kill myslf flying up a hill, and i would almost bonk at the top. By the end of the ride i had the shakes, BAD! anyone have similar experience or recommendations...
    much appreciated...

I used to use GU, but I have a problem with their nonrecyclable packaging. (OK, yes, I DO live in California Now I use HammerGel. It works, but I must admit I like the flavor of GU better.

Balance Bars work the best for me during a ride. I've had problems chewing/digesting Clif Bars and Power Bars on the go. The Balance Bars aren't too chewy and don't seem to "repeat" on me.

I use plain, old Gatorade as my sports drink during a ride as well. Once again, it is the only thing that didn't give my stomach fits during a ride.

Smile Gu recycling

i just read in a dirt rag issue from earlier this year that Gu is accepting people sending in their used GU. apparently for every 10 you send in, you get one free. some guy picked up Gu after a race, and sent in something like 1500 packages...he is enjoying lots of free gu. i think it is worth looking into...

Cool eating on the fly

I also love the Luna bars. My only complaint is that they're hard to open, which means I usually can only eat them during a break. I also love the Gatorade bars - substantial and easy to open. Usually eat half then half later, cuz they're BIG - which is great on the long rides.
    Another great snack I pack is toasted frozen waffles, slathered in peanut butter. Stick it in a baggie and you've got a great energy booster for the return trip!
    As far as the sticky stuff goes...I also love the Vanilla Gu and Power Gels. Stay away from the Orange Gu...horrible aftertaste !

Wink opening bars on the ride

a friend suggested during our 24 hour race, to stick an opened bar in our shorts or back pocket. that way we don't have to fidget with it during the ride. that bit of advice came in very handy (although be careful of those sticky bars on your legs

Lightbulb Why didn't I think of that?!?!

Thanks for the tip, han-girl!

Thumbs up

I like hammergel much better than the gu's. Hammer gel is not as sweet and is easier on my stomach. I like Luna bars, or apple newtons or peanut butter and jelly on a bagel. Cytomax is my choice for a drink.

nutrition while riding

I recently spoke to a nutritionist at the UPMC Sports Medicine Center in Pittsburgh. She advises all of the University athletic teams as well as some of the cities professional teams, and she suggested using honey instead. It does the same thing and is easier to get down. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to.

Wink Nutrition

Well, I am here to tell you that Fig Newtons are IT. They have a greater percentage of calories from carbos than other "energy bars" and less fat overall. This makes them quick and easy to digest. The only problem is that they tend to get beat up in your saddle bag and sometimes the fig seeds get stuck between my teeth, and there I am without a toothpick.

Re: Nutrition

Originally posted by Whyelse
    sometimes the fig seeds get stuck between my teeth, and there I am without a toothpick.
    Just say you're a mountain biker and they'll think the seeds are bugs--much cooler than fig seeds!

-J**
    "Do I contradict myself? Very well, then, I contradict myself." --Walt Whitman