Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone do yoga?

To disable ads, please log-in.

One of the few things I like about the early-dark days of winter: time to do yoga tapes. I did them last winter and haven't since -- too busy riding, running, and walking after work. Once daylight savings time is over, I'll do them a couple of times a week after work (and ride the trainer a couple of other nights). I have several Rodney Yee tapes and really like them, though I still feel like a bit of a klutz when I do them!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I second what everyone else has said. I agree that yoga is a great compliment to cycling and just about any other sport. I picked up a book called Bike for Life a couple months ago and would note that it recommends yoga to essentially "undo" some of the stresses that cycling puts on your body. Cycling aside, yoga is a great compliment to life in general. It's benefits go so far beyond the physical. I can't sing its praises enough.

I do recommend that you read up on the various types of yoga to determine which one seems best for you and then see what the studios/gyms in your area offer. I tend to like rather fast-paced vinyasa (or flow) classes. I otherwise get a little bored. Wherever you go, I would also recommend that you try various instructors. You'll find that you like some and not others.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Yoga for Cyclists - Chicago

I just received this email and it sounds like a good option, though expensive for just one session.

Cycling Expert Steven Blum of Chicago's Johnny Sprockets Cycles teams up
    with Yoga State's Physical Therapist & Yoga Instructor, Sheri Lake to
    revolutionize your ride with safe and healthy practices for cyclists!

Whether you are an avid cyclist biking long distances, racing, or just
    beginning, please join Sheri and Steven as they share their love of the
    sport, and assist you to reap the healthiest benefits from the practice!

Experience a Comfortable & Efficient Ride:

* Learn Proper cycle fit

* Thoroughly enjoy a dynamic yoga practice incorporating Pilates
    exercises to build the core

* Experience yoga poses to open and align the shoulders, back and
    legs, and partner work to go deeper into poses

* Practice the Perfect warm up/cool down practices for maximum
    efficiency & best ride

* Be free from pain and overuse that may be experienced with distance
    cycling

Sunday, October 22 1-3pm $35

To what everyone else has said, roger that. PLUS, I've found that the combo of yoga and cycling is immeasurably good for my crooked, persnickety back.

A year or so ago, I couldn't teach two 1:15 classes in a row without ending up with excruciating back pain--I mean, ice packs, anti-inflammatories, immobility, and still being in pain. I'd begun to wonder how much longer I'd be able to teach. I saw a chiropractor who found that I have a slight curve in my spine and treated me for several weeks. That took the edge off but I was still in some pain most of the time, and still in agony after teaching those two classes in a row.

Quit the chiro treatments when I realized I wasn't getting better any more and figured if I was going to be in pain anyway, I might as well at least get some fun out of it. I started cycling again, then hitting a yoga class once a week. A year later, with no more chiro treatments and no more painkillers, my back is still persnickety but I can teach like I used to and ride my bike as much as I want without being miserable afterwards.

So yoga+cycling has given me my life back. Yesssssssss!
    Bad JuJu: Team TE Bianchista
    "The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress." -Roth
    Read my blog: Works in Progress

Thumbs up yoga texas style!

Ok i LOVE the boots in this poster!!!

www.texasyogachampionship.com
    "The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."-Moliere

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." -Thomas A. Edison

Shorty's Adventure - Blog

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    I found this old thread in a search for TE yoga threads, and I got a kick out of seeing some of the old familiar faces of TE from 2006 who posted on it years ago.

I've been doing yoga now for three months, never had done yoga before. I'm just a beginner but am seeing results already. Really enjoying it and it seems to work into my lifestyle and schedule pretty well since we have a new yoga studio right in town, located where I have to go for errands anyway several times a week.

Anyway, figured I'd bump a post onto this old thread, especially now that we are heading into winter and biking way less, looking for some indoor fitness inspiration perhaps.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Gosh, when I first posted in this thread, I was relatively new to yoga (about five months of practice). I've been practicing now for six and a half years. Although there have been times I haven't made it to my mat more than once a week, it's been a near constant, even when I've had to cut out other things. It's helped me immeasurely, physically and emotionally, and it's allowed me to meet some wonderful people. I just love it.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Indy, I love hearing that!

Well your post as a beginner of 5 months was way more experienced than I am now after only three months! Wonderful that you are still enjoying it so much now over 6 years later, and here you are in the same thread!

I saw where you had written:
    I do recommend that you read up on the various types of yoga to determine which one seems best for you and then see what the studios/gyms in your area offer. I tend to like rather fast-paced vinyasa (or flow) classes. I otherwise get a little bored.
    So my question is now- after 6 yrs, do you still tend to prefer the fast paced vinyasa/flow classes like you did then? Do you still get a little bored by slower paced classes? Are there other things that have changed in your view, preferences, or attitude about yoga during the 6 years since then? I'd be fascinated to know!
    Lisa

I'm looking at taking up yoga again, thought it would be easier/cheaper if my pilates studio just offered both. I think I can afford one class a week, though. I need to do something or all of this darkness is going to drive me nuts. 7-ish weeks til days start getting longer...

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Quote Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
    Indy, I love hearing that!

Well your post as a beginner of 5 months was way more experienced than I am now after only three months! Wonderful that you are still enjoying it so much now over 6 years later, and here you are in the same thread!

I saw where you had written:

So my question is now- after 6 yrs, do you still tend to prefer the fast paced vinyasa/flow classes like you did then? Do you still get a little bored by slower paced classes? Are there other things that have changed in your view, preferences, or attitude about yoga during the 6 years since then? I'd be fascinated to know!
    I still prefer faster-paced flow classes. My studio started offering heated classes a few years ago, and I've come to prefer those as well. It's not that I don't appreciate the challenge of slower classes (and they can be challenging in their own way), but I like how focused my mind is in faster-paced flow classes.

A lot has changed for me physically in the years since I started. I've had a number of injuries that I've had to nurse, from some nerve issues in my hands, to hip and groin issues, to a hamstring injury. I was also diagnosed with Graves' Disease last year, and that's affected my strength and energy levels, too. At times, it's been really challenging to practice, and I've had to modify a lot of poses and/or take more rest during class. I've often been very discouraged, but it's taught me to really listen to and honor my body. I have to resist the urge to compare it, on any given day, to what it once was. Right now, thankfully, I'm feeling pretty strong, but I know that it might not last.

I also encountered other challenges to my practice in the years since I started. My first teacher quit teaching in the spring of 2008. She really was the back bone of my practice. It was rough on me, and on the studio as a whole. A lot of the regulars ended up going elsewhere, and I struggled to find a new teacher that I liked even half as well. By the time I did, I had started to suffer from some of the aforementioned physical issues. Then I got married and moved away from the studio. It became harder to pop into a class any old time that I wanted. So, while I continued to attend classes, it was with far less frequency. That's why I was so excited to find a new studio that's closer to my home.

Emotionally, my practice has evolved. When I first started, I was going through a tough time in my life, and yoga resonated very strongly with me in a spiritual sense--and I, an agnostic, use that term with some degree of hesitation. I don't want to bore you with the details of where I was at the time, but suffice to say that yoga helped me bring together some things that I'd been working on/thinking about for a long time, e.g., self love and self empowerment, interpersonal connection, and the cultivation of a sense of gratitude, surrender and openness. I can't explain, exactly, why yoga helped with these things, but it did. Ultimately, I changed in some profound and fundamental ways the first couple of years of my practice and while yoga wasn't the only thing that aided that process, it was certainly key. The intensity of those years has lessened over time, but the spiritual undercurrent is still there for me.

Ultimately, I almost always find peace on my mat. Even if it's just for an hour, my mind quiets. Regular practice usually gives me enough mental and emotional space to work on those things in my life that need attention. And for that reason, I'll keep going to my mat.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Indy, thank you for sharing all that- it's inspiring and compelling to hear about how your life and yoga have evolved in an interweaving way over these past few years.
    I try to do 3 yoga classes per week, but sometimes I have to miss one. Today's class was after 4 days without, so I really felt the difference between 'yoga/non-yoga'. I think my studio offers pretty good pricing of 10 classes for $120, that's $12 per 90 minute class....that's pretty low, isn't it? I figure that's a good health investment in the long run, will help me prevent joint and back problems like so many of my friends seem to have. The postures involving hip opening and particularly spine stretching and twisting make me feel so good the next day. I've never moved and flexed my spine this much in my entire life, and I keep thinking wow, what I've been missing out on all these years! I feel like I've discovered a whole new part of my body. Isn't it odd!
    Lisa

You should try doing pilates. You can search online on pilates private instruction North Brisbane. It is like yoga. Really effective in workouts too. A good way to meditate also.

Here are some of the benefits i've experienced from yoga and cycling :

1. Improved Core Strength
    2. Improved Neutral Spine While Ridding
    3. Increased focus and lower levels of tension
    4. Reduced Risk of Injury
    5. More Efficient Breathing

check out https://www.nepalyogainstitute.com/y...ning-in-nepal/ for more great resource which i've learned alot.

Yeah, I do.