Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone do yoga?

Anyone do yoga?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm thinking about starting yoga today and was wondering if anyone else does yoga in addition to cycling. What are the benefits you have experienced? Has it helped with your riding? Thanks!
    I always hear apples say they would rather be pears. Well I'm a pear and I'd rather be a stick of celery!!!

I love yoga. It increases flexibility and balance, works on the core, and is a wonderful destessor. I strongly encourage yoga. If you are looking at DVDs, my two favourite instructors are Rodney Yee and Patricia Walden.

HTH!
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I do pilates now, but I used to do yoga. Yoga really helped my flexibility, as well as really helped me fall and stay asleep. Through pilates I have strengthened my core and all but erased back pain. Climbing is better, too.

Yoga and cycling are a great combination. I can't imagine what kind of shape my middle aged bones and muscles would be in without regular Anusara and Iyengar yoga classes. I think yoga helps me recover from hard rides and helps undo some of the stress that cycling puts on my body. I can't wait to get to class the day after a hard ride. In my first down dog I can always tell just how hard I rode the previous day and how much my muscles need to stretch out.

Aside from the physical benefits of yoga, the mental strength and focus I learn in class help get me through long hard rides. In fact, I never rode further than a metric until I started taking Anusara classes. My teacher and fellow students inspired me to ride my first 100 miles. Several years and countless centuries later, I am now trying to apply what I learn in yoga about balance and moderation to my cycling.

The women at my yoga studio may not be hard core cyclists but they are my inspiration on every single ride.

Yes yes and yes

Yoga is great mixed with cycling. We tend to develop certain muscles which cause imbalances in our bodies as cyclist. The Yoga makes you more flexible strengthens your core and makes you a better cyclist!. I have a bad back and it really helps me out to be more flexible. Also, helps me when my shoulders and neck get too tight from mountain biking and sitting at a computer all day.

I don't think you can go wrong with yoga!

I'd recommend yoga to anyone for any reason, as a compliment to any sport. The physical and mental benefits (and spiritual, as well, if you explore that aspect of it) are tremendous.

One of the first benefits that I think of is that learning to properly use the breath during yoga has been a great help in controllng my breathing while riding. Whether I'm hammering up a hill (or trying to hammer...), sprinting, or just cruising for distance, maintaining an even breathing pattern makes such a difference.

I also had an interesting realization about body alignment recently: No matter what saddle I used or how the saddle was positioned, I had very uncomfortable pressure on my "girlie bits" on even short rides. When I was talking to the LBS tech during my recent bike fitting, it dawned on me that it wasn't necessarily the saddle that was the problem.

In yoga asanas that involve a forward bend, proper form encourages you to bend from the hips and not the waist. This helps to maintain the correct curve of the spine in postures like Downward Dog and Forward Bend. I realized that when I stretched forward to ride on the hoods or drops, I was bending from the hips and rotating my pelvis backward just as I have always done in yoga. In the process, my weight was shifting forward onto the pubic region and causing the discomfort. Since then, I've begun to consciously bend from the waist on the bike, which puts my weight on the sit bones where it belongs. Voila! No more bruised "girlie bits".

The result of this new positioning, though, has been occasional soreness in my lower back, for which, of course, I turn to yoga for relief. Funny little circle, there, but through the combination of yoga and biking I continue to learn more and more about anatomy and alignment.

In addition to bikingmomof3's recommendation of DVD's by Rodney Yee, I'd throw in the suggestion to pick up Yoga Journal magazine or check out www.yogajournal.com. It's a great resource from which I've learned a lot.

Edited to add this link I found at yogajournal.com: Yoga for Cyclists.

What everyone said, in addition I am just not good about stretching after rides, so a yoga class makes up for it....
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Any sport combination is great. I mix tennis and cycling. And I agree with the girls, yoga will give you excellent flexibility. If you have a combination of diffrent activities, you work out all muscles. It is the best way to avoid stiffness.

i do yoga and pilates. i work on them to keep up my flexibilty and core strenght. i notice a difference in running and cycling when i keep up with them. all around i feel better, mentally and physically.
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.

Yoga has been a very positive thing in my life. Even during times when I seldom "go to the mat" I still find benefits from the time I've spent learning asanas and contemplating the philosophies of yoga (mostly from Yoga Journal).

I feel my best when doing my own yoga routine several times a week, riding several times a week and doing a weight workout a week.

Go for it! Remember that it's not a competition and to listen to your body. It's never supposed to hurt!

Namaste,
    ~T~
    The butterflies are within you.

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/picsiechick/

Buy my photos: http://www.picsiechick.com

Question Yoga or Pilates

I only have time to fit in one class, so now I'm trying to decide between Yoga and Pilates (on the reformer machine). I've done Pilates before and enjoyed it, but I've never done yoga.

Flexibility is my major issue...I have a very tight lower back so I'm looking for something to help me stretch it out on a more regular basis.

Which one do you all recommend?

I teach yoga!

So i am a little biased...personally i like a combination of yoga and pilates, actually pilates comes from yoga!

Yoga is a bit slower than pilates. Depending on the location it can also be a little more spiritual, have a little more meditation and breathing associated with it. You might want to research the various types of yoga (hathe, ashtanga, bikram...) to decide which one is more for you. Yoga at a fitness center, tends to be more fitness oriented and less spiritual than a yoga center.

what i teach is fitness yoga - hatha style, so the focus is on postures and a i do a little bit of relaxation at the end.

Namaste!

hannah
    "The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."-Moliere

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." -Thomas A. Edison

Shorty's Adventure - Blog

Never done Pilates but yoga yes!

I have a bad back so flexibility is really important for me. I've found that yoga is the ticket - it really helps me in the flexibility department. I really miss it when I'm not doing yoga.

i do both. i would love to go to a class, but none where i live. so i've settled for the dvds.

i've been getting up a bit extra in the mornings to do a bit of yoga and i'm noticing a huge difference in my whole day.
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.

Maybe I should try yoga again. I took it my last semester of college and did not enjoy it. There was probably a lot of factors to my dislike:

1. It was usually after working in the morning at Lowe's. I was always so tired!
    2. We had to write about the experience afterwards. Homework with yoga- ick.
    3. My mind was never able to settle. I was trying to graduate, work 40 hours a week and plan a wedding!
    4. I was a complete slug at the time. This was 30 lbs ago, I wouldn't run, I didn't bike, the only thing I could tolerate was 20 minutes on the elliptical.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan