Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

jktgymnast Guest

Entry Level Road bikes

To disable ads, please log-in.

Alright, I've been on this site a couple times before but haven't left any comments or anything. I'm 15 and bought a hybrid/mountain bike a couple of years ago but have been using it on the road basically the entire time. I'm not very serious about racing but my dad and I are looking at road bikes and don't have any idea where to start. we both have some clue of what we're looking for since he has had several cannondale bikes but not for a women's bike- preferably not something strictly for racing although I wouldn't rule that out. I tested a Fuji Newest 2.0 today and a Trek 1500 WSD. If anybody has any suggestions or bikes they have really enjoyed please let me know!

~Kat

I tested on the Specialized Dolce and Dolce Comp and Muti-Sport and loved them all.

I'm quite happy with my Giant OCR1 so far (one month).

I love my Trek Pilot 2.1!

What price range are you looking in? You can do a search on here for various types of bikes or on choosing a bike and you'll find tons of info. This forum is a fantastic resource! Good luck and keep us posted on your shopping adventures.

The common theme you will find in most threads about choosing a bike is to test ride as many as you can - you won't regret it!
    Elizabee (age 5) at the doctor's office: "I can smell sickness in here...I smell the germs"

I test rode: Trek 1500 WSD, Trek Pilot 1.0 (I think), and fell in love with the Trek 1000. I have now had the Trek 1000 for a week and love her. I did not think there qwould be such a difference in the feel of the three, but there was. Test many and see which feels like it belongs under you.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

I also have a Trek WSD 1000 and now that it's adjusted right, it feels just super duper.

...I take it the Trek 1000 is female? I wasn't sure what kind of vibe I got from it... I still think mine might be male. Don't ask--still thinking of names for it.

I have a Bianchi Eros Donna (steel, WSD) and absolutely love it.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Be sure to try out the Jamis bikes. They are steel (a much smoother ride than aluminum, in my opinion) and reasonably priced.

I started racing when I was just a bit older than you (at 17). Congratulations! Support of your folks is key to success (especially the driving and paying for stuff part!)

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I have a Giant OCR1, and love it. It was $500 and not bad for an entry level bike. Now that I've had it almost a year, I know what I like/dislike/want/need in my next bike. I'm glad I went entry level instead of spending 3 times that amount and then realizing what I like/dislike about it.

Good luck, and have fun out there!!!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

fun, fun, fun!

Shopping for a bike can be so much fun! I am happy with my Specialized Dolce, but really bike fit is so individual, you have to try several different bikes to find "the one." I would strongly suggest you go to several different bike shops and not rush into a purchase. I rushed and although the Dolce is a good bike, I think I should have taken a bit more time and gone to a few more shops.

Happy searching!

I second the Jamis bikes. Do try at least one steel bike.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

[QUOTE=
    ...I take it the Trek 1000 is female? I wasn't sure what kind of vibe I got from it... I still think mine might be male. Don't ask--still thinking of names for it.[/QUOTE]

It could be. Mine is actually a regular Trek 1000, not a WSD, so they could be different genders. I too am thinking up a name.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle