Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY

Hurt my tailbone today...

To disable ads, please log-in.

We were riding along a gravel & dirt road today. I was pretty tired already, and then we made a wrong turn and had to turn around in the middle of the road and go back. As I went over the deeper gravel part while turning, I felt the bike start to skid a bit, so rather than possibly skid out and fall, I hopped off the saddle to plant my foot down, while the bike was still moving slowly.
    Unfortunately, because this all happened unexpectedly and suddenly, my bottom didn't quite clear the saddle horn all the way and I hit my tailbone (coccyx) right on the saddle horn on the way off the saddle. OWwwww!!!! I was able to ride home ok mostly because nothing presses there when I sit on the bike, and because it seemed a bit numb from the shock.

I am managing ok, but I had to drive somewhere later and sitting in the car was very painful. Also getting in and out of the car. Less trouble at my computer chair, where theres' an open gap in the tailbone area between seat and back cushions.
    Damn, and just when my sit bones were adapting nicely to my new Brooks!
    I am expecting it to feel more sore tomorrow with probably a bruise, but I'm really hoping nothing is broken or bent and that it will heall quickly over the coming week or two.
    I don't want to stop riding my bike even for a few days! Why couldn't this have happened during the awful heat wave last week when I would have feel fine about not riding for several days?
    I am going to bed early and hoping for the best tomorrow.

Anyone else with this same experience? ...Please tell me how you healed really quickly!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This hasn't happened to me (yet) but I could feel the stinging pain as I read your words. I don't know if soaking in a warm bath of Epsom Salts would help or hinder; not medically qualified to advise, but I do wish you quick healing and a speedy return to happier rides.

Tailbone pain

I hurt my tailbone last winter when I fell on my butt and skidded down a very hard packed icy ski trail with lots of bumps.

I had a visible bruise from it, and at first was worried I'd broken something.

I wasn't cycling at the time, so I can't relate how it felt on the bike, but it did take probably about a month before it felt okay to sit down normally again. And boat pose in yoga was absolutely killer for awhile.

I hope yours feels better soon. Stay on the sit bones.

Ouch Lisa! I only did this once when I was a kid, fell on the ice. I recall it being very sore for quite some time, but then again I was a kid and all kids heal much more quickly then adults.

Be gentle to it for a few days and I hope it heals quickly for you!

I am sorry you are in pain.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Well, it's no worse today, but still hurts like HELL. I'm fine when I'm not moving, but the act of sitting down and getting up are both killer.
    I told DH I wanted bike the 1/2 mile down into town for breakfast and then see if we wanted to continue, it being such a GORGEOUS Sunday. Riding was "ok" when I leaned forward more than usual on my sitbones. He very considerately showed me a LOVELY 5 or 6 mile trip on a really nice PAVED back country road (no gravel=less bumping!), with moderate long rolling hills and beautiful farm scenery. I just loved it! Great route for gear shifting practice too. I have named that route "Sweetie's Favorite" now. We had SUCH a wonderful time.

By the end of the ride though, my entire sitting area was in major pain -both the tailbone AND the front girly parts from leaning forward to avoid the tailbone. It was just the right time to get the hell OFF my bike for the rest of the day.
    My leg muscles feel great though, it was a perfect workout for the day for me.
    I am relieved my pain is not actually worse today, that indicates to me that it will hopefully start getting better soon. Yes, I will take it easy, but it's a very difficult place to avoid putting any pressure on, I have found!
    Thanks for your sympathies, girl friends!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My sympathies!

I suggest icing it for awhile. 15 minutes morning and night. You may have bruised your coccyx and/or inflamed the surrounding tissue. Unfortunately, a bone bruise lasts quite a bit longer than a muscle bruise but time will heal it. I did it to my patella last year. I was able to move about comfortably in a week, but I felt some lingering aftereffects for about 5 weeks.

Hi Lisa:

I'm happy that you got to enjoy a beautiful ride today with DH .

Take it easy, and rest your tailbone... (ouch, BTW)!

Heal quickly

Have a peaceful day!

Denise

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals".
    Immanuel Kant