Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Best True Touring Bike for Women

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi.
    Well I am quiting my job and biking across country. I am no where near the biker most of you are, but I figure by the end I will be!

Right now I'm in the final stages of looking for the perfect touring bike for me (F, 5'3). My favorite so far is the BIANCHI VOLPE, I have not found a TREK 520 in my size yet (17') and the CANONDALE T700 didn't seem to fit right, but I'm going to give it one more test ride.

Anyone try/own these bikes and have an opinion? I've read great stuff about both the Cannondale & Trek - but from men. Ladies?

I've read alot on this side about the women's specific bikes, but except for TERRY none are true touring bikes, and that is what i'm looking for - i want to go fully loaded. Additionally I want steel -cuz "steel is real"!

Thanks!

I know it's not on your list but have you considered a Rivendell Atlantis?

You can read more about them here.

http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/htm...tisframes.html

Veronica

Can a bike BE any prettier ?

Well I am partial to orange myself.

Veronica

one thing that goes against Cannondale is that they have proprietrary parts on them. This means that for certain things, you MUST take it to a shop that has the special tools that come from Cannondale. Not just any bike shop. Also means that you can't fix certain things yourself either, or order replacement parts from whomever. Headsest for sure, not sure about other parts, maybe the bottom bracket too.

Irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Sonya, that sounds so wonderful. Please keep us updated on your plans. My new hobby is living vicariously through the lives of adventurous souls like yourself.

That's an excellent point that Irulan made about the Cannondale. Also, most Terry's have different sized front and rear wheels which means you'd have to carry spare tubes in 2 different sizes.

While I think Rivendells rule, you might want to check Heron too:
    http://www.heronbicycles.com/index.html

Also, if you don't already know about it, there is a wonderful website at http://www.crazyguyonabike.com which is chock full of touring info and journals. I went to the search page and typed in Trek 520 and got a ton of hits, including this one which I think you might find helpful:
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journ...20040114221959

You might want to check some of the journals written by women on that site to get a feel for what they ride.

I had looked briefly into the Trek 520 myself, but I wound up with a Rivendell Romulus instead. The Romulus is not as beefy as the Atlantis (or the 520) and I'm not sure if it's as suitable for fully loaded touring as the Atlantis is. (But I honestly don't see myself carting around a tent and sleeping bag - I'd prefer a nice comfy bed and a hot shower, but that's just me, I'm a wuss that way).

But that said, I've heard very good things about the 520, even though it's not a woman-specific design. I hope you can manage to find one in your size to try out.

Best of luck, - Jo.

Just wanted to clarify a few things about Cannondale (since I work pt at a C-dale dealer).

The proprietary parts that require special tools are generally found in the mountain bike line (e.g. Headshok and Lefty forks).
    The larger-than 1 1/8" diameter of the headtubes on these bikes also means you are also somewhat limited on stem-selection. If you stay away from suspension forks you have no worries there.

Certain C-dale road bikes DO have integrated headsets and bottom brackets, however, this is becoming more common in the industry and is seen on many other bike brands as well.

An integrated headset is still...just a head set. The integrated headset in my C-dale road bike is Campy. The headsets offered on the current C-dale touring bikes are Cane Creek(and not integrated to my knowledge). I'm not a huge fan of the whole integration-trend, but at least I know that replacement parts are fairly easy to find.

The integrated crankset/bottom bracket is (at this time) only found on the super high-end CAAD6 Si frames.

All C-dale bikes are made of 6000 series aluminum .

We are also a Trek dealer, and I'd say for the money the 520 is a great little bike. Of course if you have the $$$ for the Rivendell look at those too

pedal faster, thanks for the correction... everything I've heard about the c-dales has been in reference to thier mountain bikes...I'll be the first one to say that road bikes are not my focus.

Irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Smile Got it!

I finallly found a store carrying my size frame in the Trek 520 and after 2 minutes riding it, i knew I had my bike. Wish I had a great reason - it just seemed to fit me really well. The bar-end shifters are a bit tricky, i'm getting used to them but not sure i'll ever be a total convert. Oh, and the seat s*cks! but everything else on this bike is really smooth. She's a champ!

After a week together, we are a pretty happy pair! We've bike to Tiburon from SF and we've gotten to work and back everyday, even in the rain.

I told the boss about my plans to bike across country, and he offered me a leave! What to do?! It certainly is a great offer. Anyway, I am still set for a departure date in mid-March.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Talking Sweeeeet!

I'm so glad it all worked out so well for you, Sonya!

Sounds like you had the perfect reason if it felt right! And that's a really good bike, you done good.

I wish I had thought to ask where you lived, if I knew you were in the Bay Area I would have given you a couple of names of places to try. Not that it matters now, LOL!

Hope you can keep us updated on your adventure!

- Jo.