Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question Am I ready for a Duathalon?

To disable ads, please log-in.

This might sound dumb, but how do you know you're ready to tackle a race. I signed up for a Duathalon in two weeks and have yet to complete a run-bike-run while training. I've run and biked seperately without a problem, but have yet to try the combonation.
    Should I just dive into the race and crawl across the finish line?
    Geo

Hi geo...

Wow - just two weeks to your event? I'm afraid that's too short to create a whole training scheme. I'd probably opt out of the event if I were in your situation.

However if you want to have a go...

There's simply too much to go over to cover it here.

The short answer is, yes try to get in one or two of what's called a 'brick' (bike workout immediately followed by a run w/o a break). These activities tend to tire different muscle groups, so you'll want to at least get a sense for how it will affect you in advance of your event. That way, come race day, you'll know your limits and what pace you can maintain. Otherwise, you may be in for an unpleasant surprise.

If you need more info, repost this in the Triathalon section of the forum - you'll get a better opinion than mine!

Go for it!

How long is the race? I just did my first duathlon sprint in June, and a few weeks before, I did brick workouts at the gym. Cycle class, and then jump on the treadmill for a couple of miles. As a result, my transition times were abysmal, because I hadn't practiced getting all the gear together. If you're just in it to try it out, I would do it. I had no illusions about what my race times should be, or placing, or anything. It's not too late to stage one or two brick workouts at the gym or out of your garage, to see how it feels. I just wanted the experience, and it was great! The energy of all the athletes there, and the excitement of families cheering for each other, and the race volunteers were all fun. I didn't try to kill myself out there, I wanted to enjoy it. And I did! And I can recommend it! By the way, the distance was 5K run-12M bike-5K run. And I can really only run 4 miles or so at a time right now, but for me the bike was a little bit of a recovery from the run, so it was okay.
    "It's a fine line between hobby and mental illness."

big thanks...

Thanks for the encouragement and tips! I thought about dropping out all night, but decided I have to face this. It's just 2m-19m-4m so you can't die from that...right? I will start to brick today. No illusions about finishing times, just crossing the finish would be an acccomplishment for me.
    Cross your fingures!
    geo

Geo... go for it!
    "The bicycle was the first machine to redefine successfully the notion of what is feminine. The bicycle came to symbolize something very precious to women - their independence."—Sally Fox

Quote Originally Posted by geo89
    Thanks for the encouragement and tips! I thought about dropping out all night, but decided I have to face this. It's just 2m-19m-4m so you can't die from that...right? I will start to brick today. No illusions about finishing times, just crossing the finish would be an acccomplishment for me.
    Cross your fingures!
    geo
    Well, if all you want to do is finish... you can do that.

Training with bricks is essential to preparing for duathlons and triathlons. Your legs feel like JELLY after getting off the bike.

Just be OK with walking when you need to... and you will be fine.

Good luck!
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

Definitely do it! Use this as a trial duathlon. You'll train better and know what to expect next time. One thing about the bricks - don't do them back to back days. Even if you only do one before your race, at least you'll get a feel for the transition from bike to run. And I agree with the jelly comment totally.

Go For IT!!!

I say try it. What is the worse that can happen. I did my first duathlon recently and I started training about 3 weeks before the event. I had not been on a bike in years and I did the race with a mountain bike. But I finished. That was my sole goal. And as another poster stated, my legs felt totally like jelly.

You can do it! You get credit just for trying. And you also have to remember adrenaline starts pumping when you see the other racers.

Let us know how it goes if you decide to do it.

Ann

You are all awesome

You are all right - it's a learning process and I may,more like will, feel wrecked, but I am encouraged by your words and they will sustain me in the last miles.
    Thanks I'll let you know how I do.
    Geo