Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

commuter challenge

To disable ads, please log-in.

Our shop has created an internal commuter challenge for the month of August. For those interested in participating, we have split up into two groups. You get mileage for commuting using any alternative form of transportation. So biking and walking get straight mileage and using the bus gets half mileage. We're offering really cool prizes for the winning team.

Today after my morning ride, I decided to stay in my dirty clothes and go get my hair cut. Usually the drive takes 10 minutes. The neat thing was on bike it took 16 minutes. That was really cool - plus the concept of using a bike for running errands was the topic at the hair dresser today.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    That's great...can we join or is just local?

I ride my bike to and from work, which is 14 miles away, and to the local grocery store., which is only three blocks away. It keeps me from buying too much stuff, because only so much will fit in my panniers!

I also ride to my pilates class two miles away. I would like to ride to my mandolin lesson, which is five miles away, but I haven't been able to find a case that I can carry on my bike, either as a backpack or a messenger bag. They make gig bags, but I want a lightweight hard case with padded shoulder straps and a waist strap. Might have to break out the old sewing machine and make a holder for my hard case.

My family is a one car family, and my husband is a musician and needs the car to get to gigs. He's also a translator, so he doesn't need the car for that, but he does play music 3-4 times per week. Many times I just don't have a car available to me, so I ride my bike. We could get a second car, but why would I want to?

Quote Originally Posted by tulip
    That's great...can we join or is just local?

I ride my bike to and from work, which is 14 miles away, and to the local grocery store., which is only three blocks away. It keeps me from buying too much stuff, because only so much will fit in my panniers!

I also ride to my pilates class two miles away. I would like to ride to my mandolin lesson, which is five miles away, but I haven't been able to find a case that I can carry on my bike, either as a backpack or a messenger bag. They make gig bags, but I want a lightweight hard case with padded shoulder straps and a waist strap. Might have to break out the old sewing machine and make a holder for my hard case.

My family is a one car family, and my husband is a musician and needs the car to get to gigs. He's also a translator, so he doesn't need the car for that, but he does play music 3-4 times per week. Many times I just don't have a car available to me, so I ride my bike. We could get a second car, but why would I want to?

would a case for tennis rackets work??.....don't know if they're hard shell but I know they make backpack style packs for holding tennis rackets which should give you the waist strap.

and Mom: what a neat idea. I'm one of those people once I"m home I stay home so I've started running a lot of my errands on my way home from work - on the bike. So did you take your bike into the hair dressers? I don't leave my bike outside and I have yet to have anyone tell me I can't take my bike inside somewhere.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

gig bags look like tennis racket bags. They are padded and light weight, but I'm just worried about damaging my mandolin if I should fall. It's a nice instrument.

There are possibilities. I took up the mandolin in part because it's portable. My cello that I played for 20 years, however, is not!

Maybe it's time for an xtracycle!

Quote Originally Posted by tulip
    gig bags look like tennis racket bags. They are padded and light weight, but I'm just worried about damaging my mandolin if I should fall. It's a nice instrument.
    I believe Leila Barker took a violin with her on her cross-country trek last year, so it's definitely possible. She was riding a Bike Friday New World Tourist, so it's entirely possible she stashed her violin in her trailer.
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journal/amphibious2005

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Welp, the Ditty Bops are doing their musical tour by bicycle: http://www.thedittybops.com/

And, of course, Xtracycles are *made* for big gear. However, be mindful not to let the sucker tip and dip your valuable stuff into rain-swollen rivers in gutters (but the 'puter is still working, yppee...) This is not me, it's from the "Team Free Radical" site from xtracycle:

I walked into the hair stylists all sweaty and red faced. I politely asked if they would cut my hair so sweaty. They said no problem. I then saw a blank wall and asked if I could put my bike against the wall out of the way of any customers. They were very polite about it and agreed. I was tulquite happy with that answer since I was on my Lemond Buenos Aires instead of my green Frankenstein bike!!

tulip - I'll have to check with the judges of the contest about others outside the shop joining. I'll post tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by bikemom

tulip - I'll have to check with the judges of the contest about others outside the shop joining. I'll post tomorrow.
    No problem, I just wasn't sure if your post was an invitation or simply telling us about a program in your town. It would be great to start one locally here, too. I'll look into it.

Thanks

Thanks for all the instrument-toting success stories. I'll see what i can rig up.

Now for being confused:

bikemom
    MomOnBike
    bikingmommy
    BikeMomOf3
    RunningMommy

Jeeze louise, folks! You're making my head spin, already!

Now for being confused:

bikemom
    MomOnBike
    bikingmommy
    BikeMomOf3
    RunningMommy

Jeeze louise, folks! You're making my head spin, already
    And I thought I was the only one.....

As for the contest, not sure if I can participate in yours but maybe Susan O. can have one on TE like she did with the TdF coverage? Just a thought.

Anyway, I commute 11 miles each way 4 days a week to school and work in downtown Chicago. I run errands around town (average 1-3 miles each way), like going to the bank or walgreens to pick up prescriptions. I always enjoy using the drive up service
    "Only the meek get pinched, the bold survive"