Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Cold!!!

So Cold!!!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey All, I'm suitting up to go on my third road ride of the new year, my FIRST ride on my new bike, and the COLDEST ride I've ever been on (currently its 20 degrees in Philly, feels like 10!!!!). I'm hoping we bust out 10 miles or so, considering how FRIGID it is.....(maybe i'll do more on the trainer when I get home to warm back up!)

So what do you guys do to stay warm? do you ride when its this cold? I've seen discussion about winter gear and I agree that 35-40+ is pretty easy for most winter gear to handle....but I've never been out when its THIS cold.....we'll see My number one complaint about my winter stuff is my balaklava doesnt quite fit, its definitely made for some big block headed guy.....(it fits my fiance perfectly...hehehe...) anybody have tips for keeping your face warm in men's size equipment?

Anyway, I'll let ya'll know how it goes....wish me luck (and warmth!)

Atombessy.

Can't help you on the balaclava, I'm afraid--I'm still using a unisex/one-size-fits-all thing I bought from REI back in 1996. I'll be in your boat soon, though, since it's finally wearing out on me!

I've been riding in our 10-30F weather here in Minneapolis, and I've been fine. Here's my getup for these temperatures, in case it will give you some ideas. IMO it's very important to dress in layers and have windproof gear for as much of you as you can cover.

Up top, sports bra, thin synthetic long-sleeve top, fleece long-sleeved high-necked jersey, wind vest, and/or wind jacket (depending on how windy). May add additional thin fleece vest under wind layer if it's in the 10-15 F range and I'm riding into the wind.

Bottom, shorts, thin synthetic base tights, thicker tights, wind pants. Will do kneewarmers too (under the wind pants, natch) if it's really windy out.

Thin sock liners, thin wool socks, neoprene booties. I use clipless pedals even in winter because I don't ride in extreme cold if I can help it, which according to my comfort is anything below 10F. So I don't have to worry too much about my feet. They sometimes get a little cold but not dangerously so. YMMV, of course.

Thin glove liners, Pearl Izumi "lobster" gloves. Thin balaclava, fleece ear warmer, winter helmet (fewer vents) w/ wind cover.

And on my back or the rack is my commuter bag in case I get too warm and have to peel some layers off! And I always pack a warm hat and an additional warm, dry top layer in winter, in case I get stuck someplace. In addition to food, water, ID, phone, quarters, pump, tubes, basic tools, etc.

Good luck and have fun! Winter riding can be a blast.

Originally posted by elevenpointfive

Up top, sports bra, thin synthetic long-sleeve top, fleece long-sleeved high-necked jersey, wind vest, and/or wind jacket (depending on how windy). May add additional thin fleece vest under wind layer if it's in the 10-15 F range and I'm riding into the wind.

Bottom, shorts, thin synthetic base tights, thicker tights, wind pants. Will do kneewarmers too (under the wind pants, natch) if it's really windy out.

I rode 20 miles of beautiful single track on Saturday. It was about 72 degrees... I don't know how you gals handle the cold!! Anything under 40 degrees, and I'd hang up my SPD's.

Up top: Sports bra & sleeveless jersey

Bottom: Terri racer skort

Oh yeah... Don't forget the sunblock!!

I love sunny California!!

Oh you are so cruel to even mention sunny warm weather. It is -34 C here, and I am so cold I can't even convert to F degrees. The kids have a day off school, buses cancelled due to extreme cold, but us poor mothers still have to go out. And to add insult to this, we are also going to get another 6-8 inches of snow, oh well that's northern ontario for you, at least when the cold moderates some, will be able to snoshoe again, I am counting the days to spring, hope the old groundhog sees his shadow, but any smart rodent wouldn't be venturing out these days..

I checked a conversion table. -34 C is about -31 F. Really c old no matter how you figure it!!!! We got down to about -10F one night last week and only up to 0 F during the day, but that would probably seem like a heat wave to you right now. Hang in there...... indoor exercise is better than none. And it gets you warmed up, which would be a plus for you, I think.
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

brrrrr!

Oh you are so cruel to even mention sunny warm weather. It is -34 C here, and I am so cold I can't even convert to F degrees. ... And to add insult to this, we are also going to get another 6-8 inches of snow
    I checked a conversion table. -34 C is about -31 F. Really c old no matter how you figure it!!!!
    minus 34, yikes!! it's only -24 in toronto today, but then again we whine about everything . not too much snow either but god knows we'll find something to complain about regardless. bundle up there, ladies, and we'll think about spring-- warm air and snow-less riding!!!
    I used to dream about ice cream, Antonio Banderas, and daquiris on the beach. Now, i dream about fresh pavement...

I had to post to this thread. I am a native Californian, born and raised in San Diego. I now live in the Midwest US. And I just want to say...I LOVE snow. I have vowed to never again live without the trees changing colors in the fall and snow in the winter.

Is this just a case of "the grass is always greener"?

p.s. If you have snow where you live, just make sure you have XC skis...GREAT winter cross-training

me too, I would never live anywhere without snow and four seasons. I xc ski, alpine ski and telemark ski in the off season.
    Here's my house last week, still looks like this:
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I am SOOO jealous of the sunny/warm/ridable weather. At this point anything above 45 would be welcome. Today we're having snow and another fit of FREEZING weather (-25F wind gusts!!). Anyway, my virgin freezing ride was terrrrible! I tried a ski mask balaclava combo, it was a disaster. I was choking from all the fabric around my neck, and the mask is still so big on me that I cant breath well and I'm cold anyway. SO I found a balaclava online that comes in different sizes, so I'm either going to try that OR a hooded jersey with a women's sized ski mask. I cant decide which is better, although I"m leaning towards the hooded jersey/mask combo, just because all the fabric of the too big balaclava around my neck was giving me that chokey turtleneck feeling.

But you know its going to take me until spring to find the perfect women's sized combo....ya know it.....ah well...

I can't even fathom how cold you guys are!! I also couldn't believe that I didn't have the forethought to take my bike with me yesterday. I'm a stay-at-home mom and there's no one to keep my kiddo during the day so I can ride, but I drove about an hour to visit my grandparent's yesterday and it would have been the perfect opportunity. It was 70 and sunny! I walked outside to get something from my car and just about kicked myself for not having my bike on the back of my car!!! Dumb, dumb, dumb...

humbled...

..and here I sit...waiting for the temp to get above 55 degrees before I go out. I feel like a whimp (albeit, a WARM whimp!).

Kim in Tucson. We won't talk about the summers in Arizona...
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Whine warning......

We are going to have a high temp of about 10 F today....... That's too cold for me to ride outdoors, even with the sun shining. Mountain bike trails are still a bit icy from the freezing rain of a few days ago. So even tho' it might be a tiny bit warmer riding in the woods (no wind) I don't want to deal with sliding on the ice! We have no snow to x-country ski on. Winter and cold but no snow. Bummer! What do you do to motivate yourselves to work out indoors? Ideas?
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

Motivation/Guilt...

It's cold here and the trails are covered with snow and ice. And, during the work week, it's dark when I go to work and it's dark when I come home.

I have a bad habit (as I'm sure a LOT of other people do) of coming home from work and eating dinner in front of the tv on the couch and really not doing much else. So, I decided to move the treadmill into my living room. Now that the treadmill is there, I'll finish my dinner, let it digest, and instead of continuing to sit on the couch and watch tv, I see the treadmill looking at me - calling to me - making me feel GUILTY for sitting on the couch! So, after enough guilt has sunk into me, I will get up, change into my running gear and......

Go sit in ANOTHER room and watch tv.......

Ok, just kidding. I get on the treadmill and watch tv. It has now become a habit and the time flies by when I'm watching something good. I'm not sure if that's considered "motivation", but for me, "guilt" works better...

~ Wendi
    Do something EVERYDAY that scares you just a little.
    ------------------------------------------------
    If you're doing something you love, you are the luckiest person in the world.

I just got a fluid trainer and put my bike on it. I was leaving it in my bedroom and listening to books on tape while riding. I could only last about 30 minutes before boredom set in or someone needed me to do something...which was more often the case. So, yesterday morning, I moved the bike and trainer in the bonus room in front of the TV and I can ride at least an hour without losing interest. I even remember to change gears and am learning to ride out of the saddle. I am supposed to pick up my new Sidi's tomorrow; which from what I hear will increase my output without increasing effort........that's cool! I am also looking at a new saddle tomorrow....mine feels like a rock after about 45 minutes!

Well, that's how I stay motivated..........I watch TV while spinning! Seems like a repeating theme, huh?

Kim in TN

Try Spinervals videos. They have a fitness series of videos and a competition series. Generally they are about 45 minutes long, with a few that are longer. Yesterday's workout for me was Mental Toughness - 90 minutes of tempo work and sprints at the end. If you're serious about training and getting bored with the tv, these are a good way to go.

http://www.spinervals.com/workouts.php#beginning

Veronica