Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BikeFest Rural Heritage Tour

To disable ads, please log-in.

Roll Call - who will be in Hillsborough NC on August 12? Looks like DH and I are sweeping either the 20 or the 31 (as soon as we hear back from the volunteer coordinator, we'll know for sure). So...who else is going? What distance? What does your bike look like/what will you be wearing? There have to be at least a few TE'ers in central NC!

Carrie Anne
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I would like to go, but I'm not sure yet...it will be one of those last minute decisions, I'm afraid.

Don't wait too late...

the registration deadline is August 4!

http://www.tarwheels.org/bikefest/

(they used to allow day of registration, but don't anymore)

Carrie Anne

I'll be there. DH and I are doing the century (our first!) and we are really getting excited!

I ride a very small white Specialized, wear a dark grey helmet and I'll likely be wearing a neon yellow sleeveless jersey. DH will be in the same jersey so we shouldn't be hard to spot!

We have reservations at the Holiday Inn in Hillsborough for Friday night so that we don't have to get up at 4 am.

That's awesome that you guys are helping out, but how come you aren't riding?

Catherine

That's the cool thing about sweeping - we will get to ride (just a short distance) - we're on bike moral support/mechanical support (or call someone who can do more than change a tire) - I don't think I would be ready for the 62 or 100 anyway - it's been WAY too hot here for me to ride much (our current heat index is 107!).

That is cool! I wasn't really sure what 'sweeping' meant, so that sounds like a nice compromise.

I has been HOT, hasn't it? We have been forcing the training so that we could get used to the heat, but if it's THIS hot on the 12th...we are in trouble!

You mentioned that the route would be more hilly this year than in the past. How hilly...do you know? I'm just wondering if we'll be ready (not like there's much we can do about it now! ). I guess I just want to be mentally prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968
    You mentioned that the route would be more hilly this year than in the past. How hilly...do you know? I'm just wondering if we'll be ready (not like there's much we can do about it now! ). I guess I just want to be mentally prepared.
    I've heard it's 5500 feet of climbing - that's what talked me out of trying to train for it (and then I ended up with a new job and working way too many hours, so training would have been difficult anyway).

You guys have trained well - you'll be fine!

Carrie Anne

Wow, 5500 in your area? Really? I'm impressed!

I think we'll be able to handle it as long as this heat wave breaks before then!

Okay, so I have one more day to make up my mind. I do need to go visit the folks in Durham...so maybe I'll combine the visit and the ride...one more day...

Procrastination wins again...the cutoff date for registration was July 28. How did the summer fly by so fast?

Have fun, y'all. I try for next year (and plan ahead for once!)

No...

The registration deadline was extended to 8/4/06 (online only now). This site is still open: http://www.active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=1317142

So...procrastination can't have won yet

Carrie Anne

I've asked my biking brother if he will do the 62 mile with me. I'm not sure I can handle the drive down, the ride, the drive back, but I will decide that tomorrow or tonight.

It looks like fun, and it's where I grew up!

I'm in

Hi everyone -

I'm registered for this event. Yikes I had heard that it was 5500' of climbing...I'm not sure if I'm ready for that, but I'm going to give the 100mi route a try. I'm from the Clayton area and it's pretty flat around there, I have to go searching for hills.

Hope to see ya'll there! Karen.

Grrrrr....

So we volunteered on Monday (I think) to ride sweep....we still haven't heard back for sure whether we're "accepted" as volunteers. We won't hear until Monday, apparently (despite my email pleas to know early, which have gone unanswered). And the registration deadline is midnight - $50 isn't cheap to pay "just in case" we're not accepted as sweep riders. GRRR.....What to do.....

How's that for great planning - kinda puts a sour taste in the mouth for volunteering, huh?

Sorry for the rant - I just want to know!!

CA - that sucks! I can imagine how frustrating that is!

Karen - we are also doing the 100. What color bike/helmet/jersey will you be wearing? We'll look for you and say 'hi!'.