Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

John Kerry riding Pan-Mass Challenge

To disable ads, please log-in.

John Kerry is riding the Pan-Mass Challenge this weekend to raise money for the Jimmy Fund. I just got an email from JohnKerry.com (his political email list of 3 million) asking for donations. Didn't know that John Kerry was a survivor of prostate cancer, but that's what his email says. He's done the Pan-Mass Challenge twice before and this year he's riding the 111 mile route from Sturbridge to Bourne. Anyone here riding PMC this weekend?
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

That's fantastic! Is there a link?

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

PMC riders

Mainerider & I are starting in Sturbridge, we hope to meet up in Bourne before heading on to Provincetown. I also hope to meet a couple of other women from the Terry cycling forum.

Quote Originally Posted by pooks
    That's fantastic! Is there a link?
    No, and I didn't find it on his website, but here's a copy of the email:

-----

Dear Debra,

Saturday, I'm going on a long bike ride -- with 4,500 other riders from 36 states. Following my 2003 bout with prostate cancer, I will be among the 200 or so riders who are cancer survivors.

Each of us will be sponsored by the donations of friends and family. And 99 cents out of every dollar we riders raise during the Pan-Massachusetts Challenge will go directly to the Jimmy Fund, which supports the life-saving cancer research of the Dana-Farber Institute.

At the fundraising training sessions for the event, they tell you to email your friends and ask for their help. But, I don't suppose they realized I had three million friends in my email address book. Will you consider joining me in support of this very special charity?

I want to help John Kerry support the Jimmy Fund. [link to: https://www.pmc.org/egifts/default.asp]

All I can tell you is that this ride means a great deal to me. If you've ever participated in a walk, run or ride for a cause you believe in, you know what a powerful and rewarding personal experience it can be. The Pan-Massachusetts Challenge is especially so.

It started out in 1980 when 36 riders took part and the event raised $10,200. Last year, those figures were 4,000 riders and $23 million. And this year, with your help, we expect to crush the goal of $24 million raised. The funds generated by this race now represent 50% of all money raised annually for the Jimmy Fund. Pretty remarkable, isn't it?

I can hardly wait until early Saturday morning when I join thousands of fellow riders at the starting line in Sturbridge. There are several different routes, and the one I'll be riding travels 111 miles to Bourne.

Because I care so much about this event and about the unbelievably important work that Dana-Farber does, I'm hoping you'll sponsor me on my ride on Saturday by pledging either a total dollar amount or an amount per mile.

I want to help John Kerry support the Jimmy Fund. [link to: https://www.pmc.org/egifts/default.asp]

Those of us who grew up in New England know all about the Jimmy Fund -- a wonderful charity that has been long supported by people all across the region. My own memories go back to Ted Williams urging Red Sox fans to rally round children struggling with cancer.

I've helped the Jimmy Fund out by taking part in the Pan-Massachusetts Challenge twice before. Now, in a few days I will ride again as a cancer survivor, one who knows that others -- including friends and family -- weren't so lucky. That makes this year's Challenge even more special and anything you can do to help will be especially meaningful. Thanks for considering this invitation to join me in support of the Jimmy Fund.

Sincerely,

John Kerry

P.S. The 5 people who come closest to guessing my time will win a free, autographed Pan-Massachusetts Challenge jersey. Click here to guess my time. [link to: http://www.johnkerry.com/features/panmass/]

Paid for by Friends of John Kerry, Inc.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Pmc

Hi All,
    I have been lurking for a while. I am a 7 year veteran volunteer for the PMC, road crew. This year my son joined my husband and I as road crew so I could ride day 2. I wasn't sure I could not having done many long rides, I did ride the Ride for Shelter two weeks ago, 62 miles, and did ok.
    Seeing the PMC from the saddle of a bike is so much different than from the seat of a road crew van. I had to pull over a few times from being overwhelmed from the support of the onlookers. I was concerned that people would think I was injured but it seemed a few others also "had something in their eye".
    My respect and admiration go out to all riders for any cause, I would like to ride both days but for now am not ready to give up my road crew position.
    Thank you to all who rode and to all who stood out for hours cheering each and every rider.

PMC /John Kerry

Hi - Jean & I did hook up in Bourne on Saturday. Fortunately the weather broke on Friday and we had a beautiful weekend - both weather-wise and PMC-wise.

My husband & I saw John arrive in Sturbridge Friday afternoon. He attended the Opening Ceremonies Friday night and had a brief spot in the Opening Ceremonies (live on New England Cable News - NECN). Usually you can access their clips. John said Friday night he was just shy of the $50,000 mark with his fundraising. The link given in his email would bring you to a screen where you would have to type his name. You then get his story and his current fundraising total (over $51,000, I just checked).

Also participating in this year's PMC were Greg Lemond, Uta Pippig (international marathon winner including Boston 3 years), and Johann Koss (gold medalist speed skating 1990's). I had my picture taken with Greg & Uta but don't have it with me today to download!

I saw Johann in Bourne on Saturday, my husband saw Greg in P-town on Sunday.

Maureen

The PMC is special in many ways. The crowd support is so genuine, and sometimes over the top. Like the women in hula skirts passing out water and oranges slices at the top of one hill. The sheer number of signs on lawns "A cancer survivor lives here, thank you PMC riders." Honking up one hill I realized that the fellow I was passing had an artificial left leg. After a water stop I thought I was about to pass him again until I realized that this rider had an artificial right leg. There is something very empowering about seeing all these riders in the same jersey, forming a long yellow line as far as you can see ahead or behind you; all united to help fund cancer research

My first PMC...

Notice I say my first ... yeah I am hooked.
    It was a blast. I find myself wondering "now what" since this year was all about getting to the point where I could do this. Context: did not own a road bike before this spring. was not in decent shape. wasn't comfortable with cars, clipless pedals, and so many other things. I hadn't even ever really biked seriously. There were times I wondered if I was crazy for trying to do this in my first year cycling. But I was also driven... this was just something I had to do.

Well, I did it, and I loved it. Even better, now I love cycling, and I am pretty good shape (though I plan to take it to the next level once I finish my post PMC rest period of easy riding).

I can't wait til next year! And I am going to be doing some club rides soon. If any of you are MA/NH locals I would love to ride sometime...

Quote Originally Posted by tygab

I can't wait til next year! And I am going to be doing some club rides soon. If any of you are MA/NH locals I would love to ride sometime...
    Congrats on your first PMC!

Plan to come to Kennebunkport, ME some weekend! I lead a women's ride on Saturdays from Cape Able Bike Shop, 8 am and we have co-ed rides on Sundays (we break out into groups based on speed, 20+, 19, 18, 17, 16, 15), 8 am.

Maureen

Quote Originally Posted by mainerider

Plan to come to Kennebunkport, ME some weekend! I lead a women's ride on Saturdays from Cape Able Bike Shop, 8 am and we have co-ed rides on Sundays (we break out into groups based on speed, 20+, 19, 18, 17, 16, 15), 8 am.

Maureen
    That sounds awesome, I will definitely make it up there perhaps for a fall ride (shudder, on a night like tonight that doesn't seem so far away - tell me, how can we go from 100 degree humid awful heat to feeling like fall is right around the corner in a few days? Don't get me wrong, I know the heat will be back and I much prefer these dry and cool temps, but the swings are pretty amazing...). I love Maine and I don't need much in the way of excuses to go there!

-Tasha

Smile Pmc

Congrats tygab on your first PMC. I was hooked from the first as well, although I have been road crew for 7 years. My husband and I share a road van, this year we brought our son along to crew so I could ride the second day to Ptown. I am now a hooked rider. I would love to ride the two days but truly don't want to give up the road crew experience. Such a dilemma to enjoy something so much and have two awesome options. My husband is a long time cyclist and infected me with the bug when we met 6 years ago. My(our) two sons have become avid cyclists and own a plethora of bikes thanks to havng a live in trained mechanic/builder. I enjoyed the PMC so much and being a former runner, I am seriously thinking of a spring mini tri, or at least a du.
    The PMC is a tremendous organization. Seeing it from more than one aspect just reaffirms the committment of Billy Starr and all those who work alongside him. The excitement bulds all year and the nervousness sets in Friday night as crew member seeing all the cyclists who are our responsibility. We breathe a momentous sigh of relief Sunday afternoon driving the gear back to headquarters knowing the vast majority of riders made it without a medical or mechanical issue. The moment we hit home Sunday night we start checking for next years dates to mark our calendars.

Quote Originally Posted by mainerider

Maureen
    Forgive my intrusion, but that does sound amazing. My husband and I are planning on leaving the Boston area in the next few years and settling in Maine. We actually spent our first camping trip together in the Machias area and honeymooned in Bethel. A bit furthur north but the entire state is amazing. We make frequent trips to the Big Chicken Barn in Ellsworth.
    A fall bike trip sounds glorious. We have already begun planning one but we are weekend workers so always ride when the rest of the world works.
    How long are your rides from the bike shop?

Quote Originally Posted by mrss
    How long are your rides from the bike shop?
    Saturday's ride is 25 miles. It is a women's ride until October, then it becomes co-ed. Sunday's rides are 28-45 miles, we break up into several groups depending on speed, we all shoot for about 2 hours and then finish with coffee and muffins afterwards. The club's wed site is www.mainecoastcycling.com

Would love to have you come ride with us.

Maureen

Quote Originally Posted by mrss
    Such a dilemma to enjoy something so much and have two awesome options.

The PMC is a tremendous organization. Seeing it from more than one aspect just reaffirms the committment of Billy Starr and all those who work alongside him. The excitement bulds all year and the nervousness sets in Friday night as crew member seeing all the cyclists who are our responsibility. We breathe a momentous sigh of relief Sunday afternoon driving the gear back to headquarters knowing the vast majority of riders made it without a medical or mechanical issue. The moment we hit home Sunday night we start checking for next years dates to mark our calendars.

Well this is not a bad problem to have! The volunteers make the event run so smoothly and the riders do feel well looked after. I very much appreciate their and your family's efforts. I am already thinking about next year, found myself looking at when I'd begin my 07 training today, heh.

In the meanwhile I am thinking about a du or tri as well. I'm not ready for at this point so if I can get one in late fall that may work. Otherwise I think it would fit as a late spring challenge, then I can focus on the PMC. I still can't believe it was just two weekends ago...