Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The best and worst part of your commute

To disable ads, please log-in.

Just wondering what obstacles people face on their commutes.

On the way there:
    The best part of my commute is the trail that runs beside norman creek. In the afternoon riding along that on my way home I hear all the lorikeets going nuts. Plus the trail starts next to the Library so I usually duck in there and pick up a new book to read at home before I ride on.

The worst part is crossing Ipswich road to get to the hospital in the morning. It's 3 lanes of traffic to cross in each direction (6 in total) and is full of TRUCKS and disgruntled drivers going to Ipswich at supposedly 60kph but they really fly by!! It was also near where I crashed coming home
    a few weeks back.
    @LIGHTSABE*R(::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Beginner Triathlete Log

Best is harder to pick than worst

The worst part of my commute is the left turn into the driveway when I get to work. 2 years ago they widened the road so there are now nice paved shoulders, but the traffic is going at least 15 to 20 mph faster, getting a gap both directions in next to impossible.

The best part is a lot bigger, riding through the Audubon Sanctuary and adjoining Trustee's of Reservations sanctuary lets me see lots of wildlife and plants; and at the end I come to a chunk that is leased to an organic farmer so I ride through fields of sunflowers, tomatoes, pumpkin and corn. Since I commute year-round it get to see all of these go through their annual cycles.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    The best part: only a 15 minute commute, and little to no traffic in the morning.
    The worst part: lots of cars in the afternoon and crossing a very busy 4 lane road. I still get scared there every day.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

The worst part of my commute is that our school system goes back to work on Thursday and I'll find myself commuting. When I do commute the worst part is that the safest way to my school is down a very high traffic road (approximately one mile of travel) and dealing with parents who are late, high schooler in a rush to meet their friends before classes begin, school buses pushing me, etc.

The best part of my commute is from June to August when I don't have to commute. However, when I do commute the best part is turning of the busy 2 lane road onto the road that takes me to my school (approximately a one mile ride). Traffic is spread out and motorists are far nicer and very patient. I've actually had parents drive behind me and stay there until I reach my school making this part of the ride a lot of fun and hassle free.

The worst part of my commute is when i have to get into the left lane to turn left. Traffic is moving 35-40 mph and they want to get around me, and there I am trying to get into the left lane!

The best part of my commute is the hill home. There are NO right turns at all, for a mile. So I can merrily pedal uphill at my own speed pretty much not too scared that someone is going to try to take me out because the lane is very wide.

another best part of my commute is when I go through the old factory building where they used to make the old b-52 bomber airplanes. It's totally vacant, but there are still roads that go THROUGH the silent building. So as I silently pedal through, I imagine all the hustle and bustle that Rosie the Riveter and all those other gals were making during WWII.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

The best part of my commute is Washington Park. I work at a bike shop two miles from my house. Half way there is Washington Park. Since I bring my dog with me to work (she rides on the back of the bike), we always stop at Washington Park to play for a while. I think that's how I trained her to love riding on the bike -- we always go to the park!!!

The worst part of the commute is coming home. I live on a somewhat-busy street and even though it's the designated north-south bike route, it's terrible for bikes! There's usually broken glass in the non-existent bike lane and always busy. I'm only on this street for half a block, but it's just a couple of blocks from the freeway and right next to my condo complex is a shopping center with a grocery, starbucks, etc., so lots of folks are bustling in their cars. I have to make a left turn into my complex and it's always a challenge. Probably doesn't help that I was hit on this street in 2002 -- it's always creeped me out.

But did I mention the best part is going to the park?

My 13 mile commute from Wayland to Lexington, MA.

Worst: Rt. 2A in Lincoln/Lexington between Bedford Rd. and Old Mass Ave. Fast traffic and narrow. It used to be fast traffic, narrow, and bumpy, but it got repaved 2 years ago. Generally OK but occassionally I get passed too fast and too close by a bus or large truck. And I have to make a left turn getting off of it, which occassionally has me sitting on the double yellow line with cars whizzing by in both directions. The only reason I have to ride on this road is because Hanscom Air Force Base is between me and my destination.

Most annoying: All the road patches, which are only on the right 1/3 of the road of course. With my stiff 80s steel frame, this stuff is really unpleasant (like having your brain rattled sometimes). I take the center of the road if at all possible to avoid it.

Best: The road next to the Drumlin Farm Audubon Sanctuary. I get to look at the drumlin every day, and sometimes the sheep are in the field.

Most fun: The big hill on Bedford Rd. in Lincoln Center going north. It's a tough uphill, but a very fun downhill. I hit 36-38 mph going down, and it's fairly straight and then has a flat half mile until the Rt. 2 stop light. Going the other way there is a stop sign just at the bottom of the steep section, so I can't take much speed.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Best Part: Being on the Trail in the morning, passing all the other commuters and cyclists and people walking their dog before work. I can get pretty fast on that nice flat trail, so I like to get into the drops and feel the road just hummmmm underneath my tires.

Worst Part: Norristown. Coming out of the trainstation onto a busy 2-lane road with potholes and broken glass and gravel. I have to continue on these roads for some time, and let me tell you that asphalt can get hot! Also, I hate sitting behind cars at traffic lights.... exhaust blows!

K.

The best part of my commute is that it's only about five minutes long, all through residential city streets, and some days if I go in late I see more bikes than cars. People wave, almost everyone is friendly. The last block I take through an alley to avoid a one-way street, and the guys at the body shop always wave and say hello.

The worst part of my commute is a block and a half stretch right by my office that is officially designated a "bike route," but has diagonal parking all along one side. It wasn't so bad in past years -- the people who park there are mostly residents and they all seem to be really careful about backing out, so that is less of a concern than it might otherwise be, although obviously I have to be really alert. But also obviously, I have to take the lane in that stretch, because of the diagonal parking, and in the last few months that has been a little scary. It's a 25 mph zone and it used to be fine, but my neighborhood's demographics are changing, and these days we have more SUVs and cellphones and aggressive drivers. A lot of people seem to feel that they must pass me on that stretch, even though there isn't any room to pass safely. (I take the lane in most of my route, because our bike lanes are not wide enough to keep me from getting doored, but this is the narrowest stretch so it's pretty scary when I get passed.)

Actually, I change my answer. Cellphones are the worst part of my commute. People on cellphones don't see bicycles.

Let's see... the best part is coming down the Big Hill in the morning.

The worst part is trying to ride past Dunkin Donuts in the morning - I had three near-misses in July!

(Or is the worst part going UP the Big Hill, after having slaved in the office all day? Ah well, my climbing is getting better! )

Best part - my commute is better for me than any cup of coffee. I am wound up and ready to go when I get to work. While everyone else is groping for their morning stimulant, I just rode mine in.

Worst part - (1) executing a three lane sweep to make a left hand turn to get downtown. If I can time the traffic lights correctly, this isn't a problem. The bike lane ends about a quarter mile back, so I have to take the lane and hope some redneck in a pickup understands that I belong there too. (2) another left hand turn on the way home. I don't even bother attempting to get into the left turn lane, the traffic is just too much. I cross the intersection and punch the ped crossing button. I have found that to be much easier.
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

2010 Kelson custom/Brooks B17 Imperial
    2009 Masi/Terry Damselfly
    2004 Specialized Dulce Elite/Terry Damselfly
    2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara/unknown saddle
    1987 Bridgestone 100/Terry Liberator X

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I commute 14 miles each way, starting in Maryland, through DC, to Alexandria Virginia. Three states a day!

The best part of my commute is my hour + of riding my bike early in the morning, being strong, and taking the lane. I like it when I get on the bike path in Virginia and don't have to deal with stop signs and busses. Oh, and there's that cute guy going the other way who always smiles at me!

The other best part of my commute is arriving at Misha's coffee shop in Alexandria. THAT's my destination, and since it's only a couple of blocks from work, I figure I might as well just go to work since I'm so close.

The other best part of my commute is having a shower and an indoor bike rack at work. Bless them!

The other best part of my commute is my job--I really like it!

The other best part of my commute is going home and letting all the stresses of the day trickle away as I ride home.

The other best part of my commute is arriving home to my beautiful house and garden. I was able to buy a house a few years ago and it's really dreamy--100 years old with a wrap around porch and a yard that I've filled with flowers.

The other best part of my commute is kissing my lovely husband hello, taking a shower, making dinner, practicing mandolin, reading a book, and falling into a heavy sleep (biking makes for good sleep, among other things )

What was the rest of the question?

The best part of my commute:
    • Passing all the cars stuck in stop and go traffic (thinking my route was a "good" alternative to the main highway)
    • Slowing way down on the shoulder whenever some jack@$$ thinks he's going to take cuts in front of all the people stuck in traffic by passing on the right
    • Getting the best parking space at the office (I get to park inside!)
    • The option to extend my ride home after work by 20-35 miles on beautiful backroads

The worst part of my commute:
    • I pass one freeway offramp where people cut in front of me a little too close
    • Sometimes I have a headwind on the way home
    "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There's something wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym." -- Bill Nye

oh, you reminded me.
    the best part of my commute (okay another best part) is that no matter which way the wind is blowing, on my commute, it is only a headwind for 1/3 of the ride
    because i ride in a circle!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    x.......................x
    x........................xxx
    x...........................x
    x...........................x
    x............................x
    x............................x
    x.............................x
    x..............................xxxx
    x...................................x
    x....................................x
    x..................................xx
    x.................................x
    start...........................finish

(that's my commute)
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Mine only has a worst part - it is 50 km so I've only made it once. And it's not nice enough to do it again.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias