Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Great forum

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay

Great forum

To disable ads, please log-in.

THANKS to whomever is responsible for creating this forum!

I get most of my miles from commuting, and it's nice to be able to discuss commuting issues with other commuters. Maybe we'll even get some recreational riders to try commuting on their bikes!

THANKS, TE!

I agree - it's great to see this forum!

I just laugh at myself... I half-commute. There is a park-and-ride halfway through my drive to work, so I ride halfway. It's not much... only 6.9 miles, so my commuting days log me a whopping 13.8 miles! (My husband regularly rides 50-75 miles, 4-5 days each week.) Oh well - I'm oddly proud of myself anyway. I started riding in July, and already feel stronger.

I just wish I could do it more days! I can't commute when I have appointments and seminars out of the office, so find that I usually can only commute 2 days each week. My goal, before the end of September, is to work myself up to full commute... that would be 27 miles each day!

I'm lucky... the commute in is mostly downhill. Of course, that means I have an uphill battle to make it home at the end of the day!

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    If you are riding your bike on your way to work, you are a BIKE COMMUTER! If you drive part way, or take the train part way, you are still a bike commuter in my book!

and besides, "not that much" - that's totally relative! I ride 7 miles myself one way. That base mileage really adds up!

my commute to work is about a half mile. do i still count?
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.

It's only a couple of miles, and I probably COULD do it, but I'm not quite ready to envision myself loading a sewing machine, computer, and projection monitor into the kid trailer that DH found for our grandson and trekking down the hill to work. Worse yet -- it's enough challenge to get up the hills alone yet!!!!

Karen in Boise, who thinks maybe some day!

Right on!

Ditto on the thanks to who created this forum. Commuting presents challenges that road biking and mtbiking don't have. It will be nice to discuss things with other commuters!
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

2010 Kelson custom/Brooks B17 Imperial
    2009 Masi/Terry Damselfly
    2004 Specialized Dulce Elite/Terry Damselfly
    2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara/unknown saddle
    1987 Bridgestone 100/Terry Liberator X

What great timing!

I just started commuting last week and this forum came at a great time for me. There are tons of challenges unique to commuting that I'd never thought about before last week!

My ride is 13.7 miles each way, but I don't ride it twice in one day. I drive in to work with my bike and extra clothes, bike home, bike back the next day, and then drive home. Then repeat. I'd love to be able to ride both ways, but I need a car at work to get to meetings in other buildings during the day (2-3 miles away).

Do I count since I'm only half a commuter?

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968
    What great timing!

I just started commuting last week and this forum came at a great time for me. There are tons of challenges unique to commuting that I'd never thought about before last week!

My ride is 13.7 miles each way, but I don't ride it twice in one day. I drive in to work with my bike and extra clothes, bike home, bike back the next day, and then drive home. Then repeat. I'd love to be able to ride both ways, but I need a car at work to get to meetings in other buildings during the day (2-3 miles away).

Do I count since I'm only half a commuter?
    I think that is a very cool way to do it for those of us who need our motor vehicles at work. I wish I'd thought of it first!

Okay, okay! I'm a commuter!

GLC - that sounds good to me... I would love to drop off my truck and have it available for certain days. I am sure I would end up with more miles (on the bike, that is)! The only problem is that I don't entirely trust the neighborhood... I would like my truck to remain relatively unharmed. Our office has been broken into before so I am very careful about what I keep here.

In a few weeks, my plan is to drive to the Park-and-Ride, ride in to work, then ride all the way home. My DH will help me pick up the truck. I'll try that a few times, then hope to do the full trip on the bike!

I kind of wish I lived far enough from work to bike. As it is, I walk.

I feel so inadequate.

OTOH, DH bike commutes and I've really seen a positive difference in how he looks and acts. His ride is 5 miles each way.

It's all good.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX