Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Year's Resolutions

To disable ads, please log-in.

OK, I know everyone is already sick of being asked for these, but as far as biking goes, does anyone have a goal to meet this year? Maybe we can set up an accountability group here by letting each other know what we want to accomplish this year in our sport.

I'll start:

This year, it is my goal to put 1500 miles on my bike (that's about 200 miles a month in my area of the country).
    This year, it is my goal to increase my average speed on a 15+ mile ride to 15 mph.
    This year, it is my goal to lose the last 10 lbs and keep it off for the rest of my life by cycling, changing my eating habits and staying healthy.

OK......anyone else want to chime in?

Can old, uh... I mean experienced, riders chime in too? I've been thinking about this for the past few weeks, so I guess I better get it in writing to make it really happen.

- increase my average speed on flat rides (I'm not picking a number but over 15 mph would be good)
    - do at least one century a year (from now on)
    - do at least one event/tour in a different state every year (from now on)
    - match or beat last year's time on the local hill race (Mt. Diablo challenge)
    - finally learn to wrap handlebar tape correctly

- Ride a metric century, either the Cinderella Classic at the end of March, or perhaps sooner than that, do the full length & back of the American River bike trail near Sacramento.

- Get to the point where a 50-60 mi ride isn’t a big deal for me. I'm about at that point with a 30 mile ride, so there's hope.

- Go by the 15 mph speed limit signs on the paths I ride without wistfully thinking “yeah I wish!”. At the very least, I'd like to be able to keep up with my husband (or maybe even start pushing *him*, heh).

- Meet the Bay Area members on this list (and, if I'm really lucky, learn from Kim how to tape handlebars)

- Maybe, maybe, maybe do a 100 mile century ride this year. A girl can dream.

Happy new year,
    - Jo.

goals are sometimes elusive. and frustrating. and elusive.
    but without goals, we'd still be sitting in the dark, using paper cups to talk and sending carrier pigeons to far-away friends, scribbling bike forums on commmunity slabs of rock. so here goes:
    - complete a century, including training enough so that i feel good about my performance and don't hurt too much after!!
    - improve my commuting speed
    - not beat myself up for commuting less, and instead getting out on the weekends too
    - join the local cycling club, which i've heard very good things about, but aren't confident enough to get my butt in gear and just ride
    - change a flat!! i've never had to yet, but it's inevitable

aka_kim, i'm intrigued by your goal of going to a different place each year. biking seems to be a wonderful 'excuse' for going new places, seeing things we wouldn't otherwise. that's one of long-term goals, to bike in other parts of canada, and europe, etc., eventually.
    happy new year all!
    I used to dream about ice cream, Antonio Banderas, and daquiris on the beach. Now, i dream about fresh pavement...

Goals

I started working more seriously at the gym this fall because of my goal for 2004. I'm planning to ride the Mid Hudson century next fall (which goes through NY, CT, Mass and back into NY).
    It will be to celebrate my 50th birthday. In place of gifts, I'm going to ask my friends to give a donation to ovarian cancer research in memory of a friend or to stroke research in memory of my father.
    I'm telling lots of people about it ... I hope that will keep me on track!

That is so cool, KTeach !!

My husband just asked me about my biking goals a few hours ago!

I'm going to....

-complete a metric century
    -overcome the wind! It's a total mental thing, although sometimes physical, but it just kicks my rear when the wind is over 15 mph, which is all the time!!
    -improve my core strength as it's seriously lacking

OK...so I did the math a little while ago and 1500 miles this year is too low a goal for me.........I am boosting it up to 2000 miles this year. Everything else is the same. There is one ride I'd like to complete, it's called the "Jack and Back" and goes from Franklin, TN to Lynchburg, TN and back (Jack Daniels Distillery sponsors it--they're located in Lynchburg). Everyone here loves that ride and it's about 75 miles each way for 2 days, I think. That is my big ride for this year. I had hoped to race this year, but I truly don't think I'll be ready. I have to average 18+ mph on a 35 mile ride to compete around here.

Thanks for posting guys! I think it's great to have a support group like this all over the country. Keep us all posted of your progress.

There is a website called bikejournal.com for keeping your stats. Maybe we can all do that; or I can get my brother to write us a program to keep our stats and we can post the links here. What an accountability group!

Staying upright!
    Kim in TN

And one more...

One other goal I forgot to explicitly include, but is probably the most important: always keep it fun. Cycling should be enjoyable, not a chore.

One of my goals for this year is to ride a century. Reading though everyone elses goals it's nice to see I'm not alone in this which is really cool!

Hopefully I'll be able to call on you other century - riders for advice and encouragment through the year!

Why do I want to ride a century? Not sure... but I'm looking forward to being able to say I can ride one hundred miles on a bike!!

Mighty,

Be careful! Once you do a century and discover just how do-able it really is, you could get hooked....... and want to do lots more.

My goals:
    One leisurely, fun ride, Cycle Zydeco, then into serious training.
    Race more, road and mountain bike.
    No more crashes!
    Do some loaded touring.
    Convince at least one of my sons to bike with me.

That's enough for now. It's fun reading everyone's goals. Good things to have, I think. Something to strive for, something to motivate with. I know it really helps me, when I think about what I want to do, I will work harder.
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

I like reading what other people's specific goals are... it motivates me to set goals for myself.

My only real goal/resolution for 2004 is to finish a cross-country mtb race. I'll do the beginner class and although coming in last is not optimal, I just want to finish. I've lost about 40 pounds since last spring while continuing my weight training and running so I think I'll be ready by my May 1st race goal. Although that's only one goal, there are a lot of little things that go into making it happen so I think that's about enough for me!

I don't generally make resolutions because of that whole 80% failure rate within the population. So this is as close as it gets. I also like telling people about things like this because it really is a good way to remain accountable. Just having someone ask, "Hey, how's your training for that race coming?" get me motivated to be able to honestly say, "GREAT! I can't wait!"

I total believe that if you put it in print you are more likely to accomplish it. So I will join in on this resolution thing. Also being accountable is a good thing too.
    -Ride more than last year.
    -Increase avg. speed to 18+
    -loose that awful 10 lbs. that never seems to come off.
    -Ride STP at least 1 hour faster than last time. (14hours in 2001)
    -ah yes and not kill myself on the new roller that Santa Baby bought me for christmas.
    Or was that his reason for buying it, that or he wants to get me on video to try and win money. hm will have to think about that one
    I am sort of all alone out here in the middle of no where's vile so finding someone to ride with is probably out of the question but that would be nice too.

Good luck to all. Go peddle.
    Dea

In no particular order, my cycling goals for 2004 are:

Improve my hill climbing ability (the hardest but most important goal!!)
    Improve my pace-lining & sprinting ability
    Break an 18 mph average speed at least once!
    Increase my average speed by mid-season to 16.5+ mph consistently
    Beat my best speed in a metric century from last year (16.6 mph)
    Ride at least as many miles as in 2003 (4075)
    Attempt at least one major event in the NC mountains (scary)
    Do a short credit-card loaded tour (with my husband)
    Do an event in at least one state we've never been to (thinking of Colorado)

Good luck to all in meeting (or even beating!) our goals!

Emily

How are we doing? This is the 1st real week of 2004 and I am on target!

I got a trainer for Christmas........that I rode for the 1st time and absolutely love it! I listen to books on tape while riding. I am using it to build my base miles right now......I still haven't really accomplished that.

One thing on a trainer that I am not sure how I am going to measure is distance. My cyclocomp. works on the front wheel of course, which doesn't move. So, for now I am measuring time and heart rate. Any ideas on how to measure distance?

I will have my base mileage built up by March when we can go outside on a regular basis and ride. Then I will work on climbing and sprinting.

On the weight loss thing......I started today on my low carb diet again. If I can't stay on the trainer for very long, though I'll have to rethink that. I've got to get these 10 lbs off of me!!!!!

Good luck y'all...........let me know how you're doing.

Kim in TN