Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Another one here in the absolutely no headphones camp. It is bad enough that I am a lone female out biking/running as it is. I don't need an mp3 player on to make me look more of a victim to any potential assclown who thinks he can try something because he thinks I am distracted by my music.

I ride/run to listen to my body and to get outdoors. I need to hear my breathing, the rhythmic thump of my feet on the ground, the ratcheting of a freewheel, the wind in my face, the burn in my quads. Music plays a large part in my life, I love it. But not when it could put me in a potentially dangerous situation.
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

2010 Kelson custom/Brooks B17 Imperial
    2009 Masi/Terry Damselfly
    2004 Specialized Dulce Elite/Terry Damselfly
    2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara/unknown saddle
    1987 Bridgestone 100/Terry Liberator X

On something of an aside, I don't exactly use music or books. There are podcasts available to a specific # of beats per minute.
    These would be good for running, spinning, etc too. They are actually made for runners but are great for cadence when spinning.
    oooOOOOooooo, I didn't know this was available! I have a hard time finding music at the correct tempo for when I ride the trainer. It's either too fast or too slow. I have about 3 walking tempo CD's, but after the thousanth time the music does tend to make you suicidal...hehe.

Thanks for the tip!

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread discussion. *ahem*
    Road Bike: 2008 Orbea Aqua Dama TDF/Brooks B-68

Ellen
    www.theotherfoote.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby
    what about mama bears???!!!
    if i'm around an area that seems high risk (lots of hiding places) for running into a bear, i take off my headphones, but then again if there is a bear in the area you can usually smell them before seeing them if the wind is right.
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.

Maybe my former life as a musician has warped my brain, but i don't need
    an ipod to hear music.
    I have tunes in my head always; waltzes when i want to go slow, marches when i want to go fast.

and then there's my husband, on the front end of the tandem belting out "Your cheating heart"
    loud enough to scare cows...
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Maybe my former life as a musician has warped my brain, but i don't need
    an ipod to hear music.
    I have tunes in my head always; waltzes when i want to go slow, marches when i want to go fast.
    Ha!! I do the same thing! Except usually it's just one annoying song that won't go away. But heck...I can pedal to it!
    Road Bike: 2008 Orbea Aqua Dama TDF/Brooks B-68

Ellen
    www.theotherfoote.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pascale
    It IS possible to rely on your eyes for safety - deaf people do it all the time. People without earbuds in can be riding and not paying any attention either - spacing out in their own little world, worrying about whatever is going on in their lives.

I don't know where you come up with thinking that trail riding is inherently more dangerous than road riding either, that one just totally baffles me.
    I've hear the deaf arguement before and I find this to be a bad argument with bad logic for thinking that anyone is safe when using earbuds. A person who is not deaf does not spend 100% of their life accomodating to not hearing. Sure people without earbuds can be spacing out, but people who are not drunk can be bad drivers too - you still should not drink and drive. I feel the same way about the use of headphones - its an additional distraction that you just don't need and you are only fooling yourself if you think you are just as alert with them on. Do you talk on your cell phone and drive too...

As far as trail riding goes - In my experience I find that because of the crowding that one finds on trails with so many people with differing uses and differing abilities you have to be very very alert when you ride on trails. Kids, dogs, joggers, strollers, people who are going too fast on bicycles or riding erratically, street crossings - all of these things mean you have to be extra careful . An accident you might have on the road with a car may be more devestating and dangerous - but the trail poses more of a constant hazard. I know of just as many if not more people (several TE'ers even) who have had accidents resulting in broken bones and other injuries because of colliding with other trail users as I know people who have had incidents with cars.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

It is also important to remember that in some states (including Mass), riding with earphones is ILLEGAL.

SheFly

Quote Originally Posted by Eden
    As far as trail riding goes - In my experience I find that because of the crowding that one finds on trails with so many people with differing uses and differing abilities you have to be very very alert when you ride on trails. Kids, dogs, joggers, strollers, people who are going too fast on bicycles or riding erratically, street crossings - all of these things mean you have to be extra careful . An accident you might have on the road with a car may be more devestating and dangerous - but the trail poses more of a constant hazard.
    I totally agree. As a new rider I started out on the bike path, but after one short month on the bike, summertime hit and so did the crowds at the beach. I quickly realized that I was safer on the roads and took my riding there. Right now the only time that I attempt to ride the beach bike path is in the early morning, usually starting before it's light out. The only people out are other people exercising or the surfers. Not wanting to ride alone in the dark this morning, I waited until later than normal to leave the house and just that one hour made a huge difference in the crowds on the path and the number of hazards that I encountered.

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby
    I have tunes in my head always
    Same here! Right now it's Girl by Beck.

Quote Originally Posted by Luci
    Brandi, when I lived in Newport I rode the boardwalk and HB pike path on a cruiser with the loudest breaks. That loud screech was the BEST! I never wanted to get rid of the screech because it was so effective. People thought I was flying and about to run into them, when I was barely touching the break. They moved quickly!
    That's what I need...squeaky brakes!!!

No headphones are allowed here. I think we (my family and myself) need to hear what is around us. so, while we ride, no iPods are allowed.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

I've used my iPod at the gym in the past on the treadmill and on other pieces of cardio equipment. One time I tried running with it in a park. A small park mile loop...partly a trail...partly paved walkway. I went around one time with the thing and was paranoid the entire time (especially on the trail...which had a few bushes where someone could hide). Despite the volume being very low (and being able to hear the pounding of my own feet)...I was convinced that someone could sneak up behind me and I wouldn't hear them.

I went back to the car and took it off to finish my run. I'd never think to listen to it while riding.

Wind noise can't be helped...but I don't want to miss ANY noise near me if I can help it. Plus, as another poster said...wearing visible headphones might just make someone think you aren't paying attention...and makes you a bigger target than someone who isn't wearing headphones.

I agree it may be a bit more dangerous to wear headphones or earbuds in your ears and listen to music while riding. I do not agree however that it can be compared to a drunk driver. A drunk driver puts himself and whom ever he or she comes into contact with in danger.
    If I listen to music while riding by myself on a lone rode, if there is danger, it is only for myself.
    I live in the country and most of the rodes I ride have large shoulders on them. The traffice at the time I ride is minimal, and if someone is going to hit me while riding on that large shoulder they are going to hit me whether I hear them or not. I do however keep the earbud out of the side that is by traffic. I think there are exceptions in every situiation and everyone's is different.
    The music motivates me and keeps me moving even when I am hot and tired. I am riding to lose weight and get healthy and set some goals for myself. I am not out there racing in competition, or riding the mountain trails with turns and bumps everywhere. In those cases, yes it would be a dangerous thing to be listening to music when you need all concentration on what you are doing.
    Anyway, I guess I am just trying to make a point that situations are different and the rules aren't always set in stone.

My point is not that earphone wearers are as dangerous as drunk drivers, but that earphone wearers who staunchy say that they are just as alert and can hear fine with them on are just as deluded as those who drink and insist that they are fine to drive.

and someone else brought this up - in many places including here in Washington it is illegal to ride a bike with earphones on - so it is a rule here.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

No headphones for me!

I'm in the "no headphones" camp as well. I've never done it; never will.

I lost the hearing in my right ear, nearly 30 years ago, when I crashed my bike. Even if I had hearing in both ears, I wouldn't do it, and I avoid cyclists that do. I fail to understand those that feel it does NOT impede their awareness around them.

When we should always strive to be as predictable as possible when cycling, I feel it has the potential to add an element of unpredicability that doesn't need to be there. Why not give yourself the best chance possible to be safe?

Food for thought...
    Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world. ~ Grant Petersen