Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascale
    OMG, I have NEVER behaved like this. I am never oblivious to my surroundings - I keep my head up, my eyes on the road and check my mirror ALL the time. I see people LONG before I could ever hear them coming, from either direction...
    Pascale, you have never seen people on the north branch of the Chicago Lakefront Path! People are nuts.

I notice you're from the Twin Cities. I have relatives up there. When my cousin, John, moved to Chicago, he learned how to use his horn in traffic. When my aunt came down to visit, she was shocked when he blew his horn! "John! What are you doing?! That's so rude!"

I'm not surprised that you're a more responsible rider than most of us down here.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate
    The three of us are then in deep doo-doo. Last time yellow and I rode up Mt Diablo together I called someone an A-hole. Just came out. Even kind of shocked me. But he deserved it since he scared us so much. I am trying to mend my ways and find a more ladylike way to say the same thing.

I haven't yet witnessed MP do anything similar, but I can see it boiling beneath the surface.
    I know. When somebody scares me on the road, the very worst of my language comes out. Not proud. Just sayin'. On the other hand, when I yell "On yer left!" and the person/people move over, I always say, "Thank you!" as I pass. Only fair.

I doubt that Team Danger will win many "Ladylike" awards.
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

I'm sure the racer boy who nearly ran into me on Wed. as he made his left hand turn w/o looking to the right, felt perfectly safe on his long ride with his ear buds. I betcha he rides hundred of miles a week that way.

It's a good thing I'm not oblivious... because he would have hit me if I hadn't changed my pace.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I'm in the no headphone camp.

I work in a call center, off the job I don't want anything in/near/around my ears. that discomfort I can get at work.

Then there's the hearing loss thing, I'm bad enough without headphones. and that hearing loss folks? Caused by the headphones. I wear earplugs at work now to protect what's left. Sorry to get preachy but this next generation will loose their hearing approx 20 years earlier than their elders. It's not worth it, unplug, turn it down.

I workout to unplug, to get away, to enjoy nature and other like minded people.

On the treadmill, eliptical, indoor trainer only.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

I've posted it before... this is what a sign on the Burke Gilman trail said, about 20 years ago. (the Walkman era)

Two things on this trail
    Will get you dead
    Having music in your ears
    And no helmet on your head
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by Lise
    Pascale, you have never seen people on the north branch of the Chicago Lakefront Path! People are nuts.

I notice you're from the Twin Cities. I have relatives up there. When my cousin, John, moved to Chicago, he learned how to use his horn in traffic. When my aunt came down to visit, she was shocked when he blew his horn! "John! What are you doing?! That's so rude!"

I'm not surprised that you're a more responsible rider than most of us down here.
    Lise, that's very sweet of you to say. I don't know about that, but I do REALLY to treat people the way I'd like to be treated - it seems a simple enough concept, LOL.

btw - I love the pic of your running Daschund - my neighbor has a puppy mini-dacshund and I'm trying to find a way to steal her away - she keeps coming under the fence into my yard - I think she really wants to live with ME and I ADORE her! lol

"Avoid using headsets to listen to music"

I always have a headset along when I'm riding. It's between my fork and head tube. Mine doesn't play music unless it's loose and I hit a bump. Then the tune is similar to Jingle Bells but far less melodic.

My ears, however, are free of foreign objects.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

I am very, very, very hard of hearing. I am considered leagally deaf in both ears, so I need to wear hearing aids. When I ride, I have a very hard time hearing sounds behind me. Due to the wind and other factors. This is hard for me because when I am on a path and someone wants to pass me on my left, I cannot hear them say, "On your left!" Instead, I pay very close attention to my suroundings and a stay to the right side of the road/path as much as I can. I also check my back every min. or so to avoid being taken surprise.

Despite my hearing loss, I can, for the most part, hear almost like a normal person and love to listen to music while I ride, but not all the time. If I ride with a group of people, I don't. If I ride in town, I don't. If I ride by myself on a hwy. with very little traffic, I do. In a nutshell, it just depends on the situation and how comfortable I feel about it. I want to be responsible and cautious of my actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascale
    btw - I love the pic of your running Daschund - my neighbor has a puppy mini-dacshund and I'm trying to find a way to steal her away - she keeps coming under the fence into my yard - I think she really wants to live with ME and I ADORE her! lol
    Oh, yeah, they do love to go under the fence! That's not actually Schatzi in the picture, although she looked just like that in her prime. Snapdragen found that picture for me to use as an avatar when I joined the site.

Schatzi lived to be 19. She was often the sanest member of our family! Her priorities were never out of order. And she loved to dig under fences.
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

guilty

i went out and ran yesterday with the ipod and after posting and reading this thread i kinda felt guilty about doing it.
    eventhough i didn't have anyone to compete on the road (this time or next).
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.