Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm in the no headphones camp. And I also won't ride with anyone who insists on wearing them.

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

You should see the students on the univ campus riding through traffic circles, no hands, an iPod bud in one ear and a cell phone in the other. Wouldn't this qualify as illegal in California where two earphones are illegal? Neither the state law nor the campus rules state anything about the headphones being attached to the same source.

University at rush hour is a death trap.

Pooks, I know that you say you're riding in only your own neighborhood, but I find that people tend to run stop signs and rush willy-hilly through neighborhoods more than other places. It's like they take for granted that the low traffic volume means that all bets are off.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I also use my ipod to listen to books on tape (love those popcorn mysteries from audible.com) when I am alone and not around traffic or lots of other types of traffic or doing manuevering that takes concentration (like going up or down a mountain). I find a big difference between BOT and music - I could not listen to music and bike but I wouldn't say that no one could.

if i lived with people...

if i lived in a more populated area i wouldn't wear earbuds or listen to music. i'm way to worried about someone else doing something they shouldn't if its a car or a person walking. people and/or animals are so unpredictable.
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.

Quote Originally Posted by chickwhorips
    if i lived in a more populated area i wouldn't wear earbuds or listen to music. i'm way to worried about someone else doing something they shouldn't if its a car or a person walking. people and/or animals are so unpredictable.
    what about mama bears???!!!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I listen to them when I am running. And I admit slightly louder than I should. I should heed the warning and not think my trail is safe.

NEVER on a bike. I have enough trouble hearing cars over the wind!
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Just chiming in here:

I got a snazzy new ipod accessory that hooks onto my handlebars (www.marware.com. Great stuff!). Anyway, I got it during the winter and hooked it on while I was riding on the trainer. I thought it would be a great idea for rides in general, but when I was ready to get out on the road for the first time I felt funny using it (mostly because I didn't want to crash and break it!). Now I reserve my handlebarclipyipodthingy (yes...the true technical term) for rides on the trainer only. I think I'd be uncomfortable with anything in my ears!
    Road Bike: 2008 Orbea Aqua Dama TDF/Brooks B-68

Ellen
    www.theotherfoote.blogspot.com

I have to admit, I occasionally use my iPod when riding alone, but only on long rides (50+ miles) to try to keep my cadence up. I keep the volume low and I've found that I actually hear cars better than without the pods in my hears. Without the pods, the wind in my ears generally drowns out most noises, including cars until they're basically right on top of me. With the pods, the wind is blocked and I can hear things better. But again, I keep the volume low so that the music is more of a background noise and I never use it when I'm riding with others.

Susie
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." -- Greg LeMond

I'm in the absolutely no headphones camp. People who say they are fine and can hear everthing since they don't turn their headphones up very loud or wear one earbud belong in the same camp as those who drink and then say they are just fine to drive in my eyes. They don't understand how dangerous they are being.
    It IS possible to rely on your eyes for safety - deaf people do it all the time. People without earbuds in can be riding and not paying any attention either - spacing out in their own little world, worrying about whatever is going on in their lives.

When I was a zookeeper and was always running heavy equipment or loud hoses, you just learned to be alert with your other senses.

You know, it seems that many here aren't even tolerant of those who might ride for leisure - even those who are respectful of others, move over when faster traffic comes, even pulls off the trail or road. I suppose that just opens a whole other can of worms though.

I don't know where you come up with thinking that trail riding is inherently more dangerous than road riding either, that one just totally baffles me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascale

I don't know where you come up with thinking that trail riding is inherently more dangerous than road riding either, that one just totally baffles me.
    I don't think trail riding is more dangerous than road riding, but the recent murder of a fellow woman biker kind of spooks me on this subject. Was she
    wearing an earbud, listening to music? we'll never know but something tipped the scales against her.. I'm going to protect myself as best as I can.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Pascale

Which zoo did you work at?

I was a docent at Como for most of my teenage years. Still think of the Minnesota Zoo as the "New Zoo."
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

I'm with Velogirl on this one. I've never used any kind of headphones, ipods, or what have you when I'm out cycling.

I too think this is a dangerous activity regardless of where you live, cycle, run, etc. I get distracted enough with my own "self" conversations without adding mechanical devices to the mix.
    Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by Nanci
    Which zoo did you work at?

I was a docent at Como for most of my teenage years. Still think of the Minnesota Zoo as the "New Zoo."
    Nanci, I worked at the Minnesota Zoo for 14 years

I don't think trail riding is more dangerous than road riding, but the recent murder of a fellow woman biker kind of spooks me on this subject
    I was responding to Eden's comment, and I'm not sure that's what she was referring to.

I find my own internal dialogue much more distracting - I can focus better with music because I really don't have to pay attention to music, but I don't find myself trying to figure out the world's problems in my head, either.

Brandi, when I lived in Newport I rode the boardwalk and HB pike path on a cruiser with the loudest breaks. That loud screech was the BEST! I never wanted to get rid of the screech because it was so effective. People thought I was flying and about to run into them, when I was barely touching the break. They moved quickly!

Last night on my ride a woman was running toward me with her ipod and EYES SHUT. I kept thinking she would move to the inside so I could pass. Only when I got close did I realize she had her eyes shut. It forced me into the lane of traffic. Good thing there were no cars! Now if I'd only had that cruiser's breaks! SCREEECCHHHH!!!!!! Hello?? Other people here wake up.

I would ride with tunes on a rail trail or unpopulated area. Lots of miles here without lots of people.

I have to admit to using my ipod on occasion, mostly for long rides on hot days when I need to help to keep going. I use hook-over-the-ear headphones rather than earbuds.

On something of an aside, I don't exactly use music or books. There are podcasts available to a specific # of beats per minute.
    These would be good for running, spinning, etc too. They are actually made for runners but are great for cadence when spinning.

At ITunes look for FitPod, Podrunner and there is one more that I'll have to mention later.