Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Red face

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmachine
    I'm in the "no headphones" camp as well. I've never done it; never will.

When we should always strive to be as predictable as possible when cycling, I feel it has the potential to add an element of unpredicability that doesn't need to be there. Why not give yourself the best chance possible to be safe?

Food for thought...
    I couldn't say it any better!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Nope, I need all my wits about me when I'm riding.

State Laws

It's also illegal in Minnesota to wear headphones while riding a bike. Check your local state laws. Maybe save the ipod for trainer days

This should be a poll thread!

I'm solidly in the no-headphones-when-riding camp. Riding in Chicago is dangerous. People, cars, animals, potholes, broken glass, etc. I need to be very sharp, alert, scanning the road all the time. That's part of what I enjoy--it makes me feel really alive. I make up songs about the traffic, usually sort of magic spells to keep me from getting hurt! I also tend to sing either Amazing Grace or Amarillo By Morning on the bike. Or when I want to get a driver's attention, I'll sing "Hello, hello, this is Romeo..." (Melissa Ethridge).

I run with the headphones--my own disparaging inner critic gets too loud otherwise. Fortunately, on the bike, I feel like a superhero (go Team Danger!)

I hate riding around people using headphones. They can't hear me, even if I yell. They're oblivious to everyone around them. Who knows when they'll decide to rock out and fling their arms up in the air? The WORST are rollerbladers. Dancing on wheels on a crowded path. Insane.

Right up there are people talking on their phones while riding. Really unsafe. My favorite is still the guy I saw on the lakefront path this spring: On rollerblades, one arm in a cast and sling, the other arm holding a dog's leash, and talking on his cell phone. Sit down, you moron!
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Lise
    Sit down, you moron!
    Guess you're not getting the Team Danger Good Citizen Award. Hmm, guess I'm not either since I have a tendency to blurt stuff out. It's up to you, MP.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate
    Guess you're not getting the Team Danger Good Citizen Award. Hmm, guess I'm not either since I have a tendency to blurt stuff out. It's up to you, MP.

No, no. That kind of comment is perfect for Team Danger.

And I am in the NO camp on headphones. I only use them on the trainer. While riding I like to listen to the animals, breeze, creek, my own swearing, whatever. And the song in my head. Which varies. I think right now it is still Long Tall Texan by Lyle Lovett. But I haven't been on my bike in a while to check.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Right up there are people talking on their phones while riding. Really unsafe. My favorite is still the guy I saw on the lakefront path this spring: On rollerblades, one arm in a cast and sling, the other arm holding a dog's leash, and talking on his cell phone. Sit down, you moron!
    i don't get that one. if your on a phone, why are you trying to 'work out'? doesn't that just ruin the whole idea of getting away and doing something for yourself?

i'm so happy there is no cell phone coverage here just for that reason. hate being around people that are trying to do to many things at once.
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.

It's also illegal in Minnesota to wear headphones while riding a bike.
    This only applies when riding on public roads, I've been told by a law enforcement official (i.e. not a "rail trail").

I don't know...Good Citizen...making the paths safe for others...I think I could spin this one...

OK, I'll grant you I'm totally out of the running for Miss Congeniality.

PS: Pascale, I love the picture of your Borzoi! What a pairing of avatars, eh? From borzoi to dachshund.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

I hate riding around people using headphones. They can't hear me, even if I yell. They're oblivious to everyone around them. Who knows when they'll decide to rock out and fling their arms up in the air?
    OMG, I have NEVER behaved like this. I am never oblivious to my surroundings - I keep my head up, my eyes on the road and check my mirror ALL the time. I see people LONG before I could ever hear them coming, from either direction...

I don't know...Good Citizen...making the paths safe for others...I think I could spin this one...

OK, I'll grant you I'm totally out of the running for Miss Congeniality.
    The three of us are then in deep doo-doo. Last time yellow and I rode up Mt Diablo together I called someone an A-hole. Just came out. Even kind of shocked me. But he deserved it since he scared us so much. I am trying to mend my ways and find a more ladylike way to say the same thing.

I haven't yet witnessed MP do anything similar, but I can see it boiling beneath the surface.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

The three of us are then in deep doo-doo. Last time yellow and I rode up Mt Diablo together I called someone an A-hole. Just came out. Even kind of shocked me. But he deserved it since he scared us so much. I am trying to mend my ways and find a more ladylike way to say the same thing.

I haven't yet witnessed MP do anything similar, but I can see it boiling beneath the surface.
    regrettably, not very far under the surface.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Kitsune06 Guest
    I have to say I'm with Pascale.

I mostly ride without headphones/music because some of my routes take me places where such would be a dangerous distraction. I never wear them in the city. Then, I just go off the music that invariably plays in my head anyway- the Beatles, nirvana, blind melon, the Doors, etc... easygoing, pretty slowish stuff.
    BUT,
    When I'm on those long, empty trails and trying to keep up my cadence without a computer, I hang one of my earbuds (the ones with the hook that goes around your ear) on and listen to DGF's techno, with treble turned up, so I mostly hear "unf unf unf unf...." and the treble just as a sort of ghost over the wind noise. Honestly, if I pick up enough speed, my 1/2" plugs whistle louder than the earbud thumps, so it doesn't matter much to me either way.

I might feel differently when I'm older and wiser, but now I'm young and foolish and like my thumpy music.

nope

I don't use an ipod or walkman or whatever else is out there while riding/walking etc mainly becuase i'm deaf in my left ear. It's better that i not use them as i'd feel a danger to myself *& would hate to cause an accident. I

I have a hard enough time distinguishing car sounds & other sounds when biking/walking-esp when it's windy or even just a bit of wind. I just memorize songs...

(this is one reason i'm a mtn biker-don't have to worry about cars...)

c

Times have changed!

Seems like last time we had this thread, we had more people arguing for riding with headphones than against it.

I agree with Velogirl way back there - not only do I NEVER ride with headphones, but I go WAY out of my way to avoid those who are riding with headphones.

(Don't ask me about the time I road with my cervical collar on after my neck surgery though -- that was truly stooopid....)
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid