Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

achilles tendon pain

To disable ads, please log-in.

This winter I have been keeping myself busy at the gym by running. I've run in the past, but this time I'm loving it. I've worked myself up to 6 mile runs, but regularly run between 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 miles about 3 or 4 times a week. The last time I ran seriously (not because I was being chased by/chaasing my 6 year old) was 2 years ago and I stopped because I had a case of tendonitis in my achilles tendon. It caused a bunch of pain and made me spend many months in a sports injury rehab place hooked up to all kinds of electrodes. I didn't take running back up after the injury because I really only ran because I didn't have anything else to do, and it forced me to find my bike (which I love!), but this time I love running and would hate to have to give it up!!..anyway, it's happening again. I've been trying to stretch and be careful, but just this morning I can barely walk after my run yesterday. Any ideas about what might be causing this? I know the stretches, so I can get on them and hopefully stop the pain before it gets to the point it did last time, but I would like to make any changes I can in my running to make sure it doesn't continue...any ideas why my achilles might be such a problem?...thanks!!

I had that problem several years ago and it ended up being my shoes. They were too old, too broken down. Another one of my friends had the same problem but she had just gotten new shoes. Turns out they weren't right for her arch type. There are three basic kinds of running shoes - cushioned, stability, and motion control. She was using cushioned when she should have been using motion control. Roadrunnersports.com can help you find out which running shoes are best for you depending on your arch type and running mechanics. It's under the "Shopping Tools" menu choice and then under "Shoe Dog".

That's the extent of my knowledge. Hopefully it will be that simple for you and can easily be corrected. Good luck to you!

~ Wendi
    Do something EVERYDAY that scares you just a little.
    ------------------------------------------------
    If you're doing something you love, you are the luckiest person in the world.

thanks for the advice-- I actually just bought these shoes from a very reputable running store. They did look at my arch before helping me choose, but maybe I should head back to them and see if maybe they have a second recommendation. It would be nice if that was it-- another pair of $80 shoes-- since the PT was much more expensive (and not entirely paid by my insurance-- had to pay $15 copay for every visit!!) Thanks again for your help!!

Kristin

Why not call your PT & see if they have any ideas? They should have your file. And it costs $0, whereas new shoes aren't cheap.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

In the mean time, ice, heat, and an anti-inflammatory medication (Advil, Aleve) can help it feel better immediately. I had the same problem and no one could figure out what was causing it. I happened to have become unemployed around that time so I spent 2 full days icing and heating the area. I felt like a complete slug and hated sitting in front of the boob tube for such an extended period of time. I also felt like I was being a baby for pampering myself like that. But it worked and I've never had the problem again. I just did ice for 15 minutes, heat for 15 minutes, and then nothing for 15 minutes over and over. So I guess being a pampered slug did have it's payoff for me!

re:achilles pain

You also may want to look up a medical massage therapist/clinical massage therapist. They will be able to work the muscles that are pulling and causing the achilles inflamation as well as do some joint physics, returning proper blood flow and reducing the pain and inflamation. Two that come to mind are the Gastrocnemius and Soleus.
    Stretching and good shoes are essential as you know.
    Speedy recovery!!!
    Crash

I have dealt with shin splints since I was 9. I am 33 now. I also have planter facitus. Both are painful. Luckily I don't have problems with my achiles.

I have 2 suggestions:

1)Don't just pay $80 for a good pair of shoes. You have to have your feet measured every time. That includes measuring the arch height. I just paid $135 for a pair of running shoes to walk and weight train in. I also got my new orthodics. What does this mean? Get measured properly and invest the money in shoes. Your feet will serve you much longer. Personally I like NewBalance because they come in widths.

2)You may need to invest in a foot stretcher. It stretches the achiles much more than you can. I got one after my 4th time in 2 years in PT because of leg pain. I have had those nice electrodes hooked up too. I know that is not the proper name--foot stretcher--but a good running store should get the idea. Mine is a semi-circle on the outside with a oplace for the foot--not flat--there is also a cut out for a good arch stretch. Wish I could remember the name of it.

Hope this helps.