Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: July 28 rides

July 28 rides

To disable ads, please log-in.

Okay, got up with DH this morning before he left for work. It's almost 6 and I really, really want to go back to bed. Instead I got on the TE forum and read a few things and then got my butt in gear and out the door.
    Went 10.8 miles today. Little further than last time. I am able to take most of the hills now without going completely into granny gear too. There are still a couple that are short but fairly steep, (for me anyway) that I have to drop down to granny gear in, but the rest I am able to stay in the big ring for, which makes me feel so much better. Dont' feel like I am fighting to make it the whole ride.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

evening ride

I had planned to go for a 42km ride tonight but the weather changed that...

Goal for tonight was to test the double shots(lights) in the dark sections of the bike path..

It started raining just as i was really getting into the ride & was rather annoyed that i had to keep stopping to wipe the drops of my lenses..the rain just kept on coming down & couldn't see

So, decided to venture back home and about 5km from home...it stopped raining..Kappoeeeeee I say....It's been like this all week....

Bike lights are awesome-they come second to the home made ones ian made for us.

c

Sixty-six degrees for my ride in, which was really nice. I noticed that I am going to have to dig out my headlight, as six a.m. around here is not dark, but visibility isn't all that great. Doesn't help that we are slowly losing daylight either. Oh! Mr. Nice-Calves-Commuter Guy passed me halfway in. That was some nice eye candy for a mile or so.
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

2010 Kelson custom/Brooks B17 Imperial
    2009 Masi/Terry Damselfly
    2004 Specialized Dulce Elite/Terry Damselfly
    2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara/unknown saddle
    1987 Bridgestone 100/Terry Liberator X

did some variations of one of my usual routes, which actually resulted in a little less hillclimbing. Yippe! I've been noticing the decreasing daylight in the AM, too.

Way to go Donna...you're doing great!

I had a solo 37 mile ride this morning and it made me realize how fortunate I am to have someone to ride with most days. I came to the conclusion that I never shut up, even in my head. Rode from home down to the beach path and took it south to the Balboa pier. On my way back while riding on a one way street with a bike lane I almost got hit head on by an idiot who wasn't paying attention and swerved into the bike lane while he was checking the surf between the houses. Luckily I never let my guard down on that particular stretch of road and I realized he was headed toward me and didn't see me and I was able to swerve out of his way. Silly me...taking up the bike lane. Rode by the pier where the US Open of Surfing and the Bank West Beach Games are going on and I'm thinking of taking the kids down there later to see the girls skate jam. Still not sure if I want to fight the crowds, we'll see. Turned around at Bolsa Chica and headed back home.

Woke up to rain and thought I might have to cancel my club ride this morning. However, about 45 minutes before the start of the ride the rain stopped and I decided to give it a go. We rode 49 miles today at a very leisurely pace and my legs felt great after the two days of rest I gave them this week. Unfortunately with just five miles to go the skies opened up and we got soaked. Oh well, a great ride even with the rain.

First day this week I have felt like riding and now it is over 100 again! I may get a short ride in late this evening, but I wanted to do more.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Just a 14 mile recovery ride for me today. My knees let me know they remembered that they did a metric century yesterday, but after they warmed up it wasn't too bad. I had an appointment in the morning so it was after lunch before I got to ride. Thanks, all of you California girls that sent that hot, hot, hot, air my way. I sure worked up a sweat! (And in no way did I mean that you are full of hot air)
    "It's not how old you are, it's how you are old."
    SandyLS TeamTE BIANCHISTA

Ah, now that the temps are back down in the low 70s, with a little cloud cover, even (am I a Seattleite or what?)----such a nice day for a 40 mile ride on the trail, still including that one off-trail hill. Felt great! Bug ingestion: minimal to none. Saw the usual bald eagles, great blue herons, and not so happily, a dead rat in the middle of the trail. Was told by a runner that I was the most courteous cyclist he'd ever met on the trail, which is sort of depressing, actually. Would much rather he'd seen MANY courteous cyclists on the trail.

Couldn't have been a nicer ride day. Mucho gratitude for that.

My friend and I did about 20 this morning. We too were talking about the daylight coming later. We went our usual route, but today, part of the road we have been taking is down to 2 lanes. We had a guy yell at us that that part of the road is closed to cyclist (like we knew since we were in a different city than we live). Then we were coming back and on our favorite part of the ride (where we can get up in the 3rd chainring and just rock) and a cop blew his siren at us to get around us. We thought he was just being a jerk, then we heard the other sirens. They were on their way to a wreck that was in the middle of the intersection that we needed to go through. Our option was to wait or to turn on the highway where everybody drives like 75-80 mph along with the rubber necking. We opted to wait. I hate when you have a good ride going and get stopped like that.

My husband and I did about 10 miles this evening. We managed to make it up to 23 mph, which was great for us! It was quite humid out this evening with tons of bugs. I would go in the wee hours of the morning, but it is not much better and i am without a headlight, although it is on my list of things to buy.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

a nice ride

I rode 50 miles on my single speed because I am getting ready for a century with a friend that wants to ride a ss at the Hotter than Hell in Texas. By the time I headed home it was close to 100. It sounds like the temps will be over 100 next week. I guess that is summer in Ok. lol

My ride stats-
    miles: 16.06
    av. speed: 13.0
    max speed: 27.9
    ride time: 1:13:36

Not too bad for my 4th time out this season! (yeah, yeah...I started way late, but better late than never)

I rode with DH tonight....well, kind of. He starts out from home and I drive to "the barn", as we all call it. It's the place where the road turns off the busy main highway and onto some really nice paved roads where you may see 2 or 3 cars your whole ride. We go past the Heirloom Old Rose Gardens in St. Paul, OR, then around back across the highway and eventually over to Champoeg State Park. The weather was beautiful at 75, but the headwind on the back half of the ride was horrible. Usually hubby catches up to me right before we cross the highway in St. Paul, but today I rode most of the way wondering where he was. After about mile 12 I stopped at a local nursery and called him. Turns out he had extended the route by about 5 miles. And here I thought I was just whippin' along!

Highlights: Seeing the osprey nest with 4 little baby heads poking out
    Lowlights: The headwind and the car full of teens that honked at me and almost made me poop my shorts!
    Road Bike: 2008 Orbea Aqua Dama TDF/Brooks B-68

Ellen
    www.theotherfoote.blogspot.com

100 degrees at 7:00 p.m. for my ride. DH decided it was too hot so I went by myself. I'm still in a panic about being able to do 50 miles in three weeks. I just could NOT do my hill circuit today and did mostly flat for my last 10 mile ride. Why oh why did I buy a house on the hill? Ekkk, uphill for the return home. At least it forces me to do some hill, eh?

Tomorrow I get to rest (have horse lesson instead) and Sunday see how I do with a 25 flat ride. Hope those hills from this week will pay off!

Brandy you make me positively homesick with your ride description!!! My folks bought an old beach house on 38th in Newport and I half grew up there. I lived in the house as an adult until I moved here. Sniff! I miss it! Next time you're on seashore dodging surfers doing wave checks, it's the 4th house from Seashore, tell my old house hello.

Quote Originally Posted by oxysback
    My ride stats-
    miles: 16.06
    av. speed: 13.0
    max speed: 27.9
    ride time: 1:13:36

Not too bad for my 4th time out this season! (yeah, yeah...I started way late, but better late than never)
    Looks good to me. I just learned to ride on the 12th of July.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle