Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

What do you know about Hincapie shorts?

To disable ads, please log-in.

It's time to get some new shorts (I have really lousy shorts now and one pair is developing a hole - I think the bad spot started with my crash. I would love to get the Sugoi shorts that everyone seems to be raving about, but I can't part with $120 right now. So, I'm looking for a happy medium. I like PI, but I haven't heard anyone say anything positive about the Ultrasensors for '06. I've heard recently that the Hincapie Performer shorts are nice.

http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=18631

Any thoughts?
    Elizabee (age 5) at the doctor's office: "I can smell sickness in here...I smell the germs"

I haven't tried the Hincapie Performer shorts but my cycling team kit is made by Hincapie. Not sure how they compare to the Performer but I hate the shorts we have. When they say high rise, they aren't kidding. We joke that the waistband is so high that we could almost pull it up over our boobs as a tube top style sports bra. Also, they are the only shorts I have that I need chamois butter for. They chafe me big time.

We're all shaped differently so what I hate might be someone else's favorite. My favorite shorts are by PI & Sugoi. I can't remember the specific ones I wear but not the ones that cost $120. I think I usually pay in the $60-80 range for a pair of shorts.
    2004 Colnago Chic - WTB Deva
    2008 Blue RC7 - WTB Deva
    2009 Colnago Master X-lite - WTB Deva

Too funny!

And, you're right - we're all different. I have a Velo Bella pair of Hincapies(from the 2005 kit), and they're one of my favorites. I love the chamois. Go figure. I'm gonna have to go home and check the waist band height -- who knows - you might start a new fashion craze!

Quote Originally Posted by fishdr
    I like PI, but I haven't heard anyone say anything positive about the Ultrasensors for '06.
    *I* like the 2006 PI Ultrasensors... they're just *different* from the 2005 model. The fabric on the new ones is more matte and less shiny/smooth, which is more flattering, I think. The new shorts seem to hug my body better than the old ones did, which is great because the chamois stays in place and doesn't chafe at all.

My old (2005) Ultrasensors used to be my favorite shorts. My current favorites are the Shebeest Elite Distance 2 shorts: http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=12919. They're currently #3 on the TE Top 20 list. The chamois is smooth and stretchy like the one on the Shebeest Triple S shorts, but slightly thicker and more durable. They're definitely worth a look.

Cari

Thanks for the info! I took a closer look (online) at the Hincapie shorts (on the Hincapie site) and either that model is very short waisted or those things could be used as boob covers.

Cari - I'll look into what you suggested. You are the only person I've seen on here that speaks favorably about the PI Ultrasensors '06. I'll be heading to civilization in a couple of weeks and I'll try to get to a LBS to try some on.
    Elizabee (age 5) at the doctor's office: "I can smell sickness in here...I smell the germs"

... either that model is very short waisted or those things could be used as boob covers.

LOL!!! Ed Grimley Jr. Shorts.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

I tried mine on. I realized why they're so comfy. Instead of cutting into my waist, like all of my other shorts do, the Hincapie's sit way up on my ribcage!

Cari - I'll look into what you suggested. You are the only person I've seen on here that speaks favorably about the PI Ultrasensors '06. I'll be heading to civilization in a couple of weeks and I'll try to get to a LBS to try some on.
    I like the '06 PI Ultrasensors also. I didn't have a pair of the '05's so I don't have a comparison, but they are currently my favorite shorts. I would give them a look.