Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Brakes

Brakes

To disable ads, please log-in.

The brakes on my inexpensive hybrid Trek just don't seem to stop or respond as I'd like them to. Can they be adjusted or should I go with a better quality break? I really don't know anything about 'em ... any advice would be appreciated.

You might be better off having them checked at a Local Bike Shop (aka LBS) - maybe your brakes just need an adjustment. Sometimes cables can stretch, or perhaps the brake pads need to be re-aligned or replaced.

- Jo.

Swapping up brakes on an inexpensive bike is not a great idea- expensive and possible compatiblity problems. A good wrench can adjust them, and usually you can switch to better brake pads for a reasonable amount of money and a lot more stopping power. The factory pads are probably Shimano Black ones, and they're lousy. Even dialing out the barrel adjusters will help sometimes. Ask the guy at the LBS what that is.
    Cleaning the rims will help too- Windex is best for that. Brake pads will slide on grit and chew up the rims. Cheesy pads will get grit embedded and slip on rims too.
    Hope this helps,

Lizzy