Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Taking a break????

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have been riding about 5 times a week for 15-25 miles a day for a few months. Now I have to take a break for about 10 days b/c I'm tapering for a big championship swim meet. How hard will it be to get back to that amount? Will it be like starting all over again?? Thanks for the help ~ KT

At least for me, it did not take as long to "come back" after an event as it did to get into shape. It's good for the body (and mind and soul) to have rhythms of intensity. I could usually get back faster... and go further each time.

Generally speaking, your body remembers what it has been used for, and getting fit again after some time off doesn't take as long as the first time you got to the same level.

Just be patient and you'll find, all of a sudden, you feel in your legs what you had before.

Good luck with the swim meet...

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

I went away to summer camp with my daughter and was off the bike for eight days or so. I ran around like a big grown up kid (and I was afraid I wouldn't get any exercise). I didn't notice a difference when I got back on the bike. Just that my legs were sore in different places from running.