Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Houston driver

Houston driver

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have about a 15 minute commute and I generally just go along with traffic. I'm temporarily in Houston so I've had to get used to people in general not knowing what to do with a bicyclist on the road. They've usually given me a good amount of room and I definitely stake my claim to the lane. Don't want anyone thinking he/she can just sneak past me without hitting me. Anyway, the other day I was minding my own business, stopped at a light. When the light turned green, a woman passed me and yelled out the window... "YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO RIDE AGAINST TRAFFIC!" Since people in cars don't realize that bikes are often faster than they are, she probably wasn't expecting me to show up at her window. When I got there, I just told her that her information was incorrect and she should check out rules of the road for bikes. She wouldn't even look at me. Can you imagine... a bicyclist riding on the road... against traffic!? lol That chick would freak out if I came at her head-on. Back to Colorado in a few weeks where most people know the rules... regardless of if they follow them!

Tucson cyclists

Down by the University, where I work, kids are famous for riding the wrong way. One just got killed - driver turning right & looking left for on-coming traffic. Never expected to see a cyclist coming up on the wrong side of the road.

You should have heard the outcry from the family of the cyclist. I mean, it's too bad the kid was killed, but he wasn't without fault.

Oh - and helmets? We don't need no stinking helmets!
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

I just think you were pretty brave to even commute in Houston at all! Texas mindset is just plain hard on any form of alternative transportation! By foot, bus, bike, you name it.

RdDezert, that's definitely true about Texans in general... the ones I have encountered anyway. But the price of parking at the university is SOOO expensive and difficulty to find and it's only 1 1/2 miles so I just couldn't see the point of driving. I just have to be very careful.

Very sad about that cyclist killed going the wrong way. Even going the right way we have to keep our eyes peeled for vehicles. My commute has confusing one-way streets and I've nearly been hit head-on a few times in my car by people going the wrong way. So far nothing close on my bike, but I still keep a look out for those wrong-way drivers. Feels like a war zone or something when I describe it!

Heck yeah, I'd ride or walk too as close as you are to University. Those couple of bucks saved goes to.....more bike stuff!!! Just stay safe