Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bicycle-related expenditures for the year

To disable ads, please log-in.

As some of you know, I started riding again this May after being off the bike for a couple of years. The good news is that I already had the bikes and most of the necessary equipment to start riding again. However, it's always fun to go shopping, so the $$ have been racking up over the past couple of months.

Here's my "Mastercard ad" for recent bike related expenditures:

1. Custom hitch for car. $ I'm pretty embarrassed about how much I paid for this, but on the other hand, it was the catalyst for me to get riding again, so I guess that makes it "priceless."

2. BVG Hitch rack. $200.

3. Glue for patch kit. A must have, since the other glue had long since dried up. $3

4. New jerseys. $90.

5. New pairs of bike shorts. $80.

6. Replacement Look cleats. $15.

7. Krebs bike map. $12.

8. Bike-related books. $50.

9. Brooks saddle + shipping. $75

10. New tubes. $15.

11. Heart rate monitor. $60.

12. Tune up. $50.

13. Pedals just in case the Bianchi becomes a commuter bike. $35.

14. Being able to bring the bike with me so I can ride with my Dad. Priceless.

Whoo, I've racked up $1500! No DH to have to explain this to, so that's good. Good thing I got a couple of employee referral bonuses!

-- Melissa

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    It definitely adds up quickly, but if it gets you out there on your bike again- then it's all worth it! And not having anyone to "answer to" per se- even better.
    Have fun riding (with and without Dad).
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Let's see I just got into it this year...

1: Jamis Tangier Womens Specific Hybrid $899
    2: Fluid front and rear Lights $10
    3: Fluid Bike shorts (oh so comfy) $29
    4: Jelly Belly team Gloves $12
    5: Arm Warmers (french bank I think) $18
    6: Leg Warmers (BARGAIN) $25 (reduced from 50!!)
    7: Nalani women's Jersey $40
    8: Pro Race Bike shorts 2 for $50 (Bought online... from bf's fave store WORST BIKE SHORTS EVER!)
    9: Cat Eye computer $19
    10: Bottle cage $2.50
    11: Fluid Bike Pump: FREE
    12: Anaconda Water Bottle: FREE
    13: 2 women's Mtn Bike Jerseys off ebay 45$

NOW
    Add to the fact my boyfriend bought my Bell Helmet... $20 reduced from $80 (I was supposed to get a Fluid one Thrown in with the bike, but I have a WIDE head so I had to go with the Bell) and first Jersey ($100) plus a better set of Tyres... ($60)

AND add about $40 freight...

We've spent almost 1410 in start up costs for my bike this year! And I still want to get a bike rack for my ford Festiva so we can take my Jamis and his Bianchi on LONGER trips to scenic trails and such. Even do the gold coast strip...

EDIT: WHOOPS I forgot medical expenses relating to my fall a few weeks ago... EHEHE... May was well make that total go up to 1650
    @LIGHTSABE*R(::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Beginner Triathlete Log

Hey Melissa !

You can't put a price on good health, right? Bicycling IS great -- physically AND mentally !

I love #14, too. Have fun riding with your dad ! Helps to keep him in good health as well.

ENJOY!!

Have a great night!

Denise

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals".
    Immanuel Kant

Kitsune06 Guest
    *gape*

Uhm...

1. exDH's components off his naked/vandalized frame to put on DP's bike to make it rideable: $60
    2. Handlebar ends: $14.99
    3. Camelbak Bladder, 70oz: $27.99
    4. Elete, teeny bottle to try it: $4.99
    5. Elete, 8 oz bottle b/c it's awesome: $15.00
    6. 2x S-Ram prolink so I can work on dem chains- $4.00
    7. lt. blue canari jacket replacement $20.00
    8. Tail light $5.99

$152.00, total. ...and I STILL get the hairy eyeball!

Well, Kitsune,

I just look at it as my way of helping the economy.

-- Melissa

Kitsune06 Guest
    Indeed! I told DP this evening "See? You should consider yourself lucky!"
    ...but she only laughed. Ha!

Well, laughing's a good start!

I'm afraid to add it all up!

We've spent a little over (one eek for each digit!) A big chunk of that is our custom tandem - a little more than half actually. A smaller chunk was Thom's replacement Rambouillet, after his accident in Australia. Other big ticket items were the bike case and my Bridgeston MB1. We also bought some really good lights. Everything else is kind of incidentals - food from REI, tires... I put my clothing in a different category, so that's not included.

I'm so thankful that we are able to spend our money on something we both get so much out of. And everything we have bought has been carefully researched and is getting used... A LOT!

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Wow, I wasn't sure if I should even post in this thread because then I'll actually see the numbers in black and white!!!

Well, here goes:

Specialized shoes: $125
    Ultegra Pedals: $125
    SRAM chain: $40
    4 jerseys: $250
    2 shorts: $80
    new bar tape: $20
    5 tubes (I stock up when tubes are on sale): $30
    Lube/Cleaning Supplies: $35
    Tune-up: $50
    Books/Magazines: $250
    2 Base layer shirts: $50
    jacket: $50

So, it looks as though I've spent $1105 (and I'm sure I'm forgetting some things!!!). Whew, at least we're almost in the 8th month of the year . . . hopefully, I won't need much more . . . or wait, is that "want much more"?!?!?!?

Seriously, cycling is probably one of the best investments in and for my life that I've ever made.

Kitsune06 Guest
    I've seriously come to a point where I said "Self? Yeah. Uhm... Cycling and all the accoutrements seem to cost less than sleep aids, antidepressants, a gym membership and whatever drugs it would take to work both my lousy jobs without going crazy. We're sticking with biking."

... and I never argued.

I am probably not remembering everything and this is just for me since Jan 1. Considering how often I ride and that my bike is very low end, I think this isn't that bad. DH has spent some cash too, but this is just me.

1. New tire $34.99
    2. Tubes $20
    3. CO2 Pump $19.99
    4. Spare Cartridge $3.99
    5. Ol Army Cycling Jersey & MS150 Team Fee $75
    6. PI Shorts $50
    7. Socks to match #5 $10
    8. Polar Water Bottles $17.99 (for 2)
    9. New gloves $55 (bought 2 pairs)
    10. Headsweats $10
    11. Much needed bike tune up including new cassette: $100
    12. Arm Warmers- On Sale for $12

So that is $408.96.

The following items were also purchased but they were from money I got as a work bonus OR birthday money:
    1. Pearl Izumi Jacket/Vest $49
    2. Cannondale Shorts $55
    3. Tifosi Sunglasses $50
    4. Sleeveless Jersey $25
    5. Socks to match sleeveless jersey $5

That is another $184

Then there is the food stuff. I am sure I have spent about $30-40 on Sport Beans and Luna Bars. We have now spent close to $20 on NUUN tablets. There was $6 to try HammerHEED. And quite a bit on Gatorade before my dentist said no to that.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune06
    I've seriously come to a point where I said "Self? Yeah. Uhm... Cycling and all the accoutrements seem to cost less than sleep aids, antidepressants, a gym membership and whatever drugs it would take to work both my lousy jobs without going crazy. We're sticking with biking."

... and I never argued.

Amen. I really fell in love with cycling after I could no longer bowl due to a movement disorder. Running was the first thing to fill the void, but it didn't take me out to see the world and was hard on my knees. I think how depressed I was when I first started shaking and realize I am happy now because I have something to do (and good medicine). I too have a lousy job, but the day seems better when I am looking forward to a nice bike ride!
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Used Titus Racer X mountain bike (ebay): $1379 including shipping
    New Shimano XT crankset for said bike since I need 170mm cranks, and it came with 175s: $272
    Other bike shop tuneup stuff and labor: $$?? (not sure yet, I pick it up Tuesday!)

Yes, it adds up - but it is money well spent in my book!

Oh, I should also add that I recently made $750 selling one of my road bikes, so that helped offset these purchases.

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Biking is our investment in the good health of our bodies AND our spirits. And when both these things are in good health, that goodness spreads even beyond us like an aura, affecting those around us as well in positive ways.

Others spend as much on beer, cigarettes, jewelry, car stereos, cable tv, etc....
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^