Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shims for Shimano dual-control levers?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I finally went for a "real" fitting at a shop with the Serotta fit system. The one thing that we were not able to improve was the reach to the brake/shift levers. Unfortunately, when the tech guy looked in the Shimano catalog, he could only find one style of levers for which Shimano had shims and of course, it wasn't mine. Does anyone have any idea whether it's possible to get shims for the Shimano Sora dual control lever system?

I have a feeling I'm gonna have to call Shimano directly. There's no way I can afford a new lever system this year.

Specialized makes shims for Shimano, and I'm pretty sure they work with Sora. You should try giving them a call or going to your Specialized dealer. After installing your shims, you have to adjust the brake cables, so you might be better off having them do that.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=14890

I do a lot of bike fit for women. I've been shimming levers for years (before Shimano came out with their fancy shims). I use those little felt/wool carpet squares that you put under furniture that goes on wood floors (I'm sure they have a real name but I can't think of it). They're felt on one side and adhesive on the other. Just depress the lever and insert the shim on the solid part of the lever (inside). You may need to adjust your brakes after doing this if they're running too close to your rims. This, of course, only works on Shimano. I haven't figured out how to do this for Campy, but I understand that there's a shop in Santa Cruz, CA that fabricates custom Campy shims.

fujigirl: I had looked at the Specialized site, too, and seen the shims that work on the Dura-Ace and Ultegra levers. I'm going to try calling both Shimano and Specialized tomorrow to ask if they'll work on Soras.

velogirl: That's an interesting idea. Does the wool/fabric part compress over time? Do you trim them to make them fit the lever? If I can't get real shims, I may try that.

Thanks to you both for the suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga
    fujigirl: I had looked at the Specialized site, too, and seen the shims that work on the Dura-Ace and Ultegra levers. I'm going to try calling both Shimano and Specialized tomorrow to ask if they'll work on Soras.
    The DA and Ultegras are identical in shape to the 105s and Tiagras. I think that must be a load of hooey. Dunno about Soras, though, so definitely check. Sometimes I think that Specialized is full of BS. They advertised their 2005 version of the Jett as "women's specific" but in reality it was *exactly* the same as the current Avatar in 155mm, which is "unisex".

2005 Jett:
    http://kozy.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=1&id=3860

2006 Avatar 155:
    http://kozy.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=3859

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga
    fujigirl: velogirl: That's an interesting idea. Does the wool/fabric part compress over time? Do you trim them to make them fit the lever? If I can't get real shims, I may try that.
    I haven't found them to compress. They're meant to go under heavy furniture, remember, so they seem to remain pretty true.

I don't cut them. I've used both the round and the square and they're smaller than the space where you attach them, so no need to cut. You could also get larger sheets or shapes and cut them down to size.

And for a buck for a sheet of 20, you can afford to replace them once a year or so if you need.

I have Tiagras on my bike. And it just got shims. My LBS did it. They went on painlessly and did a great job of making my brakes reachable.

I'm going to be lazy here and instead of google I'm just going to ask you gals.

What are shims?
    ~~Tiffanie~~

Your biggest challenge isn't someone else.
    It's the ache in your lungs and the burning in your legs and the voice inside that yells "CAN'T".
    But you don't listen. You just push harder.
    And then you hear the voice whisper "CAN".
    And you discover that the person you thought you were is no match for the one you really are.
    Author Unknown

I know the trick!!!

Just had EXACTLY the same issue on my Dolce. The LBS ordered some special shims, and when she took them to the mechanic to put on, he showed her how to adjust WITHOUT SHIMS! I don't have my camera right now, but if you on your bike and look at the levers, there is a small hole in the black plastic part. There is a screw like thingy inside that you turn with a screwdriver?( I didn't adjust them the LBS did) and it creates it's own shim.

The Sora's are the only ones like this according to the mechanic.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanie
    I'm going to be lazy here and instead of google I'm just going to ask you gals.

What are shims?
    They're little plastic triangle you can stick between your brake lever and it its base, so the lever will be closer to the handle bars

If you need or want to change your handlebars, there are 2 models that work, they bring the levers closer to your hands. They are the Modolo Venus bar and the 3T Eva bar. My LBS didn't know about them until I told them.

Quote Originally Posted by gringa loca
    I don't have my camera right now, but if you on your bike and look at the levers, there is a small hole in the black plastic part. There is a screw like thingy inside that you turn with a screwdriver?( I didn't adjust them the LBS did) and it creates it's own shim.

The Sora's are the only ones like this according to the mechanic.

Hope this helps!

Hmmm... I called both Specialized and Shimano and neither mentioned anything like that. Though more and more it seems that folks in Customer Service areas really don't know the more esoteric stuff about their own products and companies.

So, I looked at the levers and there is a small screw in the back of lever, in the middle of the hood. Is that what you're referring to, gringa loca? If it's something inside the lever/hood that's exposed when the lever's depressed, then I can't see it.

Between the brake lever screw and velogirl's carpet squares, my bike tech is gonna end up with all sorts of new ideas, thanks to the TE forum.

Rubber cabinet bumpers really work well, too!

Kalidurga,

If you screw it in, then you will see your levers "shim" and once it's screwed in, when you depress your levers and look inside you will see it.

Unfortunately my husband has our camera, and he's in Chile right now!

What bike do you have? I just got my Dolce in June.

So, I looked at the levers and there is a small screw in the back of lever, in the middle of the hood. Is that what you're referring to, gringa loca?

Sorry not enough coffee yet this morning! So yes, that is exactly it!