Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What's for breakfast?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I hate to eat first thing when I get up. In a perfect world, I'd have some coffee and then eat my first meal about 10. But with workouts, skiing and all that, I have to force myself to eat in the morning. I don't like a big mea, but something that stays with iss good... like a slice of really good WW bread with peanut butter, or leftovers from dinner.

I'm looking for new ideas for morning food.

Irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I'm with you, Irulan, as far as eating breakfast. I don't like to eat right away in the morning, but my schedule doesn't allow a leisurely start most days, so I either eat early, or don'teat at all, which is not a good option! I make myself eat something. I agree with the PB on WW. That's my usual. Or else I will make a bowl of oatmeal w/ raisins. MMmmmmm, good on a cold morning. Yogurt and a WW bagel works. It has to be something quick and easy, preferable with some protein to make it last longer. I'm not very creative here. Hopefully, someone else will have some great ideas!
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

On early ride/run mornings, always a bit of coffee first! I have to force myself to eat too, for some reason! At work, I'm starving & having b'fast b/wn 7:30-8 am. But anyway, I've used Slimfast, the liquid yogurt stuff w/straw when driving (Dannon Fusion, etc.) and those new-ish chewy Trail Mix bars, they seem to stay pretty well. By Nature Valley, I think. Very 'gorp'-like stuck together w/honey. Even toasted waffles spread w/pb or syrup. Dried fruit.
    Leftovers too! I'm glad I'm not the only one who eats leftovers in the a.m. Not imaginative, but kinda quick.

Hi all, what a nice bit of chit chat that goes on here! Saying hello from sunny Melbourne, Australia!

I am a creature of habit in the mornings, 2nd or third thing I do in the morning is eat breakfast. It's always weetbix/muesli, yogurt and cold milk. Can eat exactly the same thing for a year and not think twice about it...am I normal?

Try a couple of sausage links with your oatmeal. We usually cook up a package on the weekends and then reheat them in the microwave as needed. Ham or steak is good too. I actually usually have the meat after the oatmeal.

I don't get to eat again until 10:30 - that's when snack time is, and I find a bit of meat in the morning keeps me from being starving.

Veronica

my favorite

My favorite breakfast is 2 eggs (poached) with some nice whole grain toast, glass of OJ and a bit of coffee.

if i am in a hurry, i usally make some oatmeal with flax meal and extra wheat germ.

Sometimes when i am bad i heat up some left over thai (mmmm)

I'm actually kind of spoiled in the breakfast department. Most mornings Thom cooks up an egg (sunny side), a bit of ham and puts it on a sandwich size English muffin for me.

Veronica

i'm chronically late in the morning (ten more minutes of sleep, please??) so i eat breakfast at work. hence, portable breakfasts. i make bacon/sausage ahead of time, prep as much as i can the night before (cut onions, wash lettuce, etc), and take 5-10 min in the morning to make it and take it with me. some ideas:

BLTs --very hard to eat on the bus and not re-heatable unless you take out the L
    frozen waffles --i found no-name whole wheat at my grocery store-mmm!
    scrambled eggs on a bagel -- melt cheese on one half under the broiler if you've got time-- yummy
    smoothie-- blend a banana, yogurt and frozen fruit and dump in a portable coffe mug. drinkable while driving or bussing.
    muffins--they take a half hour to make and are sooo good. there are gazillions of recipes on-line. never buy muffins--they load them with so much fat & sugar it's like dessert
    breakfast burrito --scrambled eggs with red/green peppers and onions rolled up in a tortilla
    bacon bagel -- no explanation needed, i hope

oooh, this is making me hungry!
    I used to dream about ice cream, Antonio Banderas, and daquiris on the beach. Now, i dream about fresh pavement...

also (sorry, i forgot) hash browns!! my favourite... and pizza is always yummy cold.

at recipesource.com, they divided breakfast recipes into categories by main ingredient so it's easy to browse. should give you some ideas, anyway.

http://www.recipesource.com/main-dishes/breakfast/
    I used to dream about ice cream, Antonio Banderas, and daquiris on the beach. Now, i dream about fresh pavement...

hi guys,

talking about food, has anyone tried the South Beach Diet?

I would love to try it but am afraid of not getting enough carbs for energy when riding or spinning. I am just addicted to carbs and need to lose weight.

Any info would help.

Thanks, Kate

I'm also one of those "just 10 more minutes of sleep please" people. But I have to have breakfast because I'm hungry all the time. Kate, I haven't done South Beach but have been on Atkins for about 8 months so I basically just eat eggs every morning. I'll add bacon or maybe a cheese tortilla if I'm extra famished. That diet has been the best thing for me as far as my weight, my energy level, and the fact that I get to eat all the time. Snowmouse, I hope it's not abnormal to eat the same thing every morning because I'm like that too. Lunch is generally 3 or 4 different things sortof rotated. My partner makes dinner so that's where I get my variation. I used to eat a lot of outmeal with different fruits and that was a very tasty and comforting way to start the day.

Smile

Glad to read a few others eat the same thing for breakfast day in - day out. I'm also in a huge rush in the morning and actually eat my breakfast on the train.

On a weekday I usually have a thick layer of cottage cheese on toast - normally granary bread which I wrap and take to the station. Variations might be cream cheese or marmite.

At weekends when I've got more time poached eggs on toast are a fave or porridge with raisins in the winter before a ride on a Sunday.

Mmm - must go and cook some dinner...

I eat my breakfast at work also because I just can't fit it in at home. But I combine Irulan and Annie's breakfast parts. I put some oatmeal in a bowl, add three spoonfuls of peanut butter (gotta have the protein), add the water and microwave. Stir it up when done and it's yummy and sticks for a few hours. Quick and easy and I eat it everyday. And on the weekends, it works for me just before a ride as well. I'm not burping it up like a McDonald's Sausage McMuffin...

~ Wendi
    Do something EVERYDAY that scares you just a little.
    ------------------------------------------------
    If you're doing something you love, you are the luckiest person in the world.

breakfast

Coffee, except for the morning I take my Fosamax. Then I sit staring at the clock for the 30 minutes I have to wait before I can have my coffee. Can't even lie down for those 30 minutes. After the coffee, another coffee and then the rest of my pills. By then its too late to eat anything. Pack my sandwich for lunch, add an apple and start getting my bike out and head to work.

muffins

I make a dozen muffins - sometimes more - during the weekend and freeze them. Take a couple out the night before & you have a quick easy breakfast that is portable.

I agree that store bought are horrible. Some have as much fat as a Big Mac! You can use different grains for fiber, add nuts for flavor and vitamin E, raisins for quick energy, protein powder for that extra boost.

I'll have one muffin on the way to work. After I get settled in, I'll have another muffin and a protein drink (soy milk with protein powder). Lasts me until lunch, quick, easy and portable.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid