Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb Help w/saddle decision

To disable ads, please log-in.

Okay, I have tried several saddles and searched many forums to help find my perfect saddle. I used my husbands carbon rail Aiante on a 100mi ride yesterday and it was great but not yet perfect. It felt great on sit bones, no chaffing, (problems I've had with Brooks, Terry, Selle, and Serfas models) but I did experience numbness where a cut out would be. In researching,the Arione sounds too stiff (I like the curves of the Aliante) I'd read where the Aliante Gamma is softer and feels like a cut out saddle. Has anyone tried it? Does the rest of the Gamma feel like the Aliante carbon? I really like the Aliante, numdness doesn't equal pain, it is just annoying after 50 miles. My husband thinks I should just give his saddle a longer trial period but he is a weight weenie and frets over the gram differences in the Gamma model vs carbon rail model. Can anyone offer opinions? ...Thanks

If you're concerned about weight, get a plastic saddle. If you want to sit on it for 100 miles and your butt NOT be the only thing you think about all day, get a Brooks leather saddle.
    I am sure you have already seen all the threads about Brooks saddles, but you DID ask.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

i don't know, but i'm in the same boat as you. so far... saddle 3, amber 0
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.

Question

I tried a Brooks, I bought three of them and put them on my fixed gear, my bike on the trainer, and my road bike. The Brooks was fine on the trainer, good on the short rides on the fixed gear but over thirty miles and the brooks caused bruised bones, and chaffing. I'm wondering if the Aliente Gamma is truly softer in the middle? How different is it from the Aliente carbon? I've narrowed my saddle choice to one of those two....any help.

Which model Brooks did you try?

V.

Ps I don't know anything about the saddles you're considering, but I LOVE my Brooks Finesse.

Have you looked at the tilt of your saddle?
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I had b17 champ w/ti, b17 std, b17 womens version. I think the angle of the seat is okay. I hate spending money to try saddles, my local bike shop does have trial seats but never ones I am interested in.

What is the width (outside edge to outside edge) of your sit bones?
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I checked and assuming I measured correctly. When I sit and measure the sit bones it is approx. 4-4.25 inches. Now, what does that mean?

Means you got some tiny sit bones!

That's about 105 mm. Mine are about 180 mm.

Basically the centers of the "cheeks" of the seat should be the same width as the centers of the sit bones, or else you'll end up weightbearing on soft tissue and tendons or be concentrating weight too hard on the bones (if you are perched on the very edge of the seat or over the metal frame of a leather seat). At the very minimum, the seat needs to be as wide as your outside-edges measurement. My seat is 210mm wide. Most comfortable seat I've ever sat on.

With a 105 mm width, you've got a lot of choices of seats.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

yeah, that sounds small even for a male pelvis. maybe you need to go to a shop with a "sit-o-meter" ?
    I didn't like the B17 either. I rode one for about 6 months and well, it was better than the butterfly and the MTB and the seat that came with the tandem, but i was still getting like you said, a little bruising and discomfort on the longer rides.
    that's when i went back to the B67 which I had BEFORE I got into serious biking.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica
    Which model Brooks did you try?

V.

Ps I don't know anything about the saddles you're considering, but I LOVE my Brooks Finesse.

Have you looked at the tilt of your saddle?
    This is a personal question, but I am desperate. Do you know how wide/narrow your sits bones are? I was just on the phone with Bill regarding Brooks sadles. My sitting bones are 13 cm and I just do not know which on to try-I have read every single thread and I am desperate. Please help.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

BMof3 -

Assuming you are looking at Brooks and have already talked to Bill (who is a very cool guy!) or Diane (who is a very cool gal!) it comes down to narrowing the ones he recommended.

I had it easy, cuz with my huge sit bones gap there are only a few that will work for me on my upright-bar bike.

Do you ride with your torso at a pretty flat or more upright angle? The more upright, the more you probably want a wider seat in your range.

You can't go wrong with Bill and Wallingford. 6 months is a loooooong trial period!

Pick the 2 or 3 that appeal to you most on a gut level, and post their names here. There are enough Brooks riders on TE that I'm sure you can get reviews of your top choices!

Quote Originally Posted by Bikingmomof3
    This is a personal question, but I am desperate. Do you know how wide/narrow your sits bones are?
    Based on measuring the indentation on the saddle caused by my butt, just a hair under 13 cms. I measured from outside edge to outside edge.

I've been really happy with the Finesse. My riding position is about what you see in my avatar. Although I think I may actually stretch out a bit more and get a tad further out on the hoods. Height wise, I have the saddle about even with my handlebars and the nose tilts just slightly up.

I also have one on our tandem. I tend to ride a little more upright on it, because the stoker compartment is too small for me. (Custom tandem is being built as I write.)

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I think the width of the Aliante is perfect, now I need to fix the center numbness on the seat. I'm going to try the Aliante Gamma. I found a bike shop that will let me try the Arione. Finally, I am going to sell off all these unused seats.

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet
    BMof3 -

Assuming you are looking at Brooks and have already talked to Bill (who is a very cool guy!) or Diane (who is a very cool gal!) it comes down to narrowing the ones he recommended.

I had it easy, cuz with my huge sit bones gap there are only a few that will work for me on my upright-bar bike.

Do you ride with your torso at a pretty flat or more upright angle? The more upright, the more you probably want a wider seat in your range.

You can't go wrong with Bill and Wallingford. 6 months is a loooooong trial period!

Pick the 2 or 3 that appeal to you most on a gut level, and post their names here. There are enough Brooks riders on TE that I'm sure you can get reviews of your top choices!

Yes, I did indeed speak with Bill and he is quite a patient guy. He mentioned B 17S, Tempro S, or a Finesse. Quite a range in prices, which concerns me since we have 5 bikers in the family, but I want the best seat for me.
    I sit upright, cannot remember if i metioned that or not.
    I was just out with my husband's seat-I just am uncertain how to measure it. Do I measure straight across, or measure down the curved sides? Same question with the length as the "nose" of the saddle dips down a tad. I mentioned to Bill I was going to try my husband's saddle and get back to him about sizes. The saddle that came with my bike is very "soft" and more like a poof pad. Too wide and way to poofy. It would be easier if I had a helpful LBS, but I do not.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle