Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

100% Whey Protein

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anyone drink this after working out? I just bought it yesterday from GNC. I don't want to gain any weight (in fact, I want to lose weight) so I'm going to account for the extra cals in the protein.

For those that drink protein shakes...benefits? effects on weight loss? recipes?

Thanks!

I use it almost everyday. I make protein shakes with frozen strawberries, protein powder and fat free milk. I usually count it as a meal.

I've always been afraid of taking the whey protein for fear of weight gain. After a lot of convincing from my son I started on it. I've actually lost weight since starting it, but I must mention I've also increased my training.
    Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be. ~Grandma Moses

i did for a while... but i couldn't afford the extra calories... and i can't just have a shake for a meal.... i'm starving again in an hour! i need healthy food with substance.... that "stays" with me a while!

I've been using it for quite awhile - most often right after a weightlifting session. I'll make it a full meal though, usually using NF milk, peanut butter, banana and a scoop of protein. With all of that, it definitely fills me up.

If I know I won't be home right after a workout, I'll bring a scoop with me to the gym and just add water to it before I head out.

It's really good for muscle recovery.

Oh, I always add it to my oatmeal, too - with freeze dried strawberries. YUM!!
    ~~Tiffanie~~

Your biggest challenge isn't someone else.
    It's the ache in your lungs and the burning in your legs and the voice inside that yells "CAN'T".
    But you don't listen. You just push harder.
    And then you hear the voice whisper "CAN".
    And you discover that the person you thought you were is no match for the one you really are.
    Author Unknown

i tried adding it to my oatmeal once... it turned it into the NASTIEST consistency.... yuck! lol!

ya... for those of you can can be filled up with a shake... that's great! but i really need something like oatmeal.... or my kashi cereal for brekky!

(but then.... even with my riding and workouts... i'm REALLY limited on the calories i can eat... which is probably why i'm one of the few people that GAINED weight after i started riding! *mad*)
    Last edited by caligurl; 07-20-2006 at 01:33 PM.

i did a web search for recipes one time and i could believe how many showed up. i found a great one, but of course i didn't write it down or save the link.

it was something like this though:
    1 cup milk
    1 scoop chocolate whey protein
    1 tbsp honey
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    add some ice cubes and blend.

i would have a baked potato with it and call it a meal. i can't have all that protein on an empty stomach, i get such a bad tummy ache.

my bf made one with oatmeal one time, it was super good but can't find that recipe either. sorry.
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.

Quote Originally Posted by caligurl
    i tried adding it to my oatmeal once... it turned it into the NASTIEST consistency.... yuck! lol!
    I think it depends on the brand. I had one that did that but the kind I use now is pretty smooth - no chunks. ewwwwww!!
    ~~Tiffanie~~

Your biggest challenge isn't someone else.
    It's the ache in your lungs and the burning in your legs and the voice inside that yells "CAN'T".
    But you don't listen. You just push harder.
    And then you hear the voice whisper "CAN".
    And you discover that the person you thought you were is no match for the one you really are.
    Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanie
    I think it depends on the brand. I had one that did that but the kind I use now is pretty smooth - no chunks. ewwwwww!!
    lol, tiffanie! i didn't have chunks... it was just so thick and.... well.. not smooth.... the consistency was WEIRD!!!!!

i loves me my oatmeal too much to mess with it (i'm eating oatmeal as i type! lol!)

i did like the flavor.... i'd have it mixed with light soy milk... it was chocolate.. so like drinking choco milk.... i just really, really couldn't afford those extra calories without cutting out something else during the day... and i didn't have anywhere else to cut back at!

I've been using whey protein for years and love it. It's incredibly beneficial for muscle recovery and absolutely helps with weight loss. Presently I use Optimum Nutriition 100% Whey Gold Standard, Rocky Road - yummy It's sold in many different flavors and is dee-lish as far as protein powders go - believe me, I've tried a bunch, and this is by far the best.

Calories: 120
    Fat: 1g
    Carbs: 3g
    Sugars: 1g
    Protein: 24g

and . . .it's about $14 for a 2 lb. container

Honestly, I just mix it with water in a shaker bottle and drink it down with my supplements. I do not consider it a meal, rather I use it as a snack. I may have a few low-fat grain crackers with it. I do not eat red meat, so for me, getting enough amino acids for recovery comes from the whey protein.

You can also purchase whey protein powders that are considered meal replacement powders (MRP's) which contain higher percentages of fat and carbs which will "hold" you.

I use a scoop of vanilla whey protein (Vitamin World brand) every morning in my cereal. It sweetens things up nicely and tastes great (to me). I figure it helps balance the carb-heavy meal without adding that many calories. Without it, cereal just doesn't stick to my ribs long enough (I have fast metabolism, lucky me).

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

ORIGINAL: caligurl
    Oh gag, you just gave me a flashback moment to when that same thing happened to me I was trying to get more protein (when I was pregnant) and I put a scoop of protein powder in my oatmeal--icky, icky, nasty! I dumped the whole bowl.

Oatmeal+protein powder is yummy!!! I use the strawberry banana flavor with my old fashioned oats and add frozen strawberries. It takes tweaking to get the consistency right, but I have it down now.

I have used GNC's 100% whey protein powder for a long time. I use it in smoothies, recipes, and a protein pudding-which is delicious. The pudding recipe: 1 box sugar free, fat free pudding, 2 cups fat free milk, 2 scoops protein powder. Blend until smooth. Makes 4 servings. Chill and eat plain, with some walnuts or 2 tbsp fat-free cool whip-for a mousse tecxture. I count it as a meal and usually have it after a workout. I have been using this product for a 1 1/2-started when I decided i shed my execess weight and gain lean muscle mass. I have shed 65 pounds of fat, gained leaned muscle and rid myselfe of 64" overall.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Awesome, Jennifer! You rock!!! Congratulations on your many healthy accomplishments!

I am glad you posted since several of the earlier posters to this thread indicated that they avoid protein powder because it adds additional calories. Well, yes, that's true, but it's high-quality protein; something many athletes (and yes, we are athletes here!) don't get enough of. It's also a low-fat protein source. So, I think it's great stuff and add it to quite a few foods. We add it to pancake mixes, oatmeal, muffins, and Endurox recovery drink for after a workout. It's really not something that should cause weight gain, so long as you don't go overboard.

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow