Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Thank you Emily. We also use it in whole wheat pancakes, muffins, and smoothies.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Ok, as a disclaimer I will say that I am a distributor for nutritional supplements, including protein shakes, but this is what I do know about protein shakes. Wellness and weight management is my focus - I am not trying to promote my own line here - I am here to learn from all of YOU!

Protein only adds about 20 calories for each 6 grams - so if it is high-quality low fat protein source, it shouldn't be a huge concern. Whey protein is a fast-acting protein and will be assimilated into your body quickly (making you feel full quickly). Soy-based protein is a long-acting protein, which makes you feel fuller longer (so it's GREAT for weight-loss).

Most American women are protein deficient - although the RDA says we should have something like 40-50 grams of protein a day, that's simply to keep you alive, lol - optimal for women is 75-125 grams of lean protein a day (1 gram of protein for each lb of lean body mass). Remmember that protein builds muscle - and muscle burns 14 calories per lb, while fat burns 2 calories per pound.

My favorite shake recipe is taking my vanilla soy shake powder to 8 oz of soy milk in a blender, adding about one scoop (6 grams) of the soy/whey additive and a cup of FROZEN blueberries and blending it - I swear it's better than a Dairy Queen shake - it's cold and thick and really has to be eaten with a spoon - and since blueberries are one of the highest quality sources of antioxidants, it's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good for you!

As an addendum to the above post - whey protein is best taken after exercise because it is quickly assimilated. Casein protein is assimilated more slowly and is better for a mid-afternoon snack (e.g., cottage cheese with sliced strawberries and a little splenda - my current fav.)

I put a dash of vanilla whey protein in my water bottle with Cytomax. It tastes like a smoothie and helps retain/build muscle mass, as the protein is used by the muscles during exercise. I also take a bottle of regular water for normal hydration.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Samples?

Does anyone know if any protein powder brands sell trial sizes of their product? I have trouble tolerating powdered drink mixes due to a bad experience with SlimFast in my teens. Last time I tried some whey powder it reminded me too much of that, and I ended up tossing most of it. I'd like to try again with another brand or flavor, but am leary about spending the money and then having it go to waste.

Try a health food store. Sometimes they'll have small packets of whey protein.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to make a trip over to Garden City or Wichita soon, since the only place we have in this town is GNC, and they don't have samples.

Speaking of Whey protein.....

Just made this smoothie recipe for a Mocha Protein Smoothie. It tasted like a Starbuck's Mocha Frappuccino. I gave up coffee/caffeine 6 months ago, so I substituted Cafix (an organic coffee-substitute) for the 1/2 cup coffee. It's easy and tastes great.

* 1/2 cup coffee or herbal coffee substitute, already prepared/brewed
    * 1/2 cup organic frozen yogurt. low-fat or non-fat
    * 1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder. I use Uni-Pro's Perfect Protein.
    * 2-4 ice cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Bliss
    Speaking of Whey protein.....

Just made this smoothie recipe for a Mocha Protein Smoothie. It tasted like a Starbuck's Mocha Frappuccino. I gave up coffee/caffeine 6 months ago, so I substituted Cafix (an organic coffee-substitute) for the 1/2 cup coffee. It's easy and tastes great.

* 1/2 cup coffee or herbal coffee substitute, already prepared/brewed
    * 1/2 cup organic frozen yogurt. low-fat or non-fat
    * 1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder. I use Uni-Pro's Perfect Protein.
    * 2-4 ice cubes
    I am going to try this, it sounds delicious.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

More about protein

I've been doing a lot of nutrition reading yesterday (on pub med & peer reviewed articles - not Bubba's Get Muscled Now Blogs) and this is what I've found.

Protein apparently takes more calories to just digest than carbs or fat. So the thermogenic affect of eating protein is greater than for any other food source.

One article took two groups of women, kept their calorie expenditure the same but fed one group a high protein, low carb low fat diet & the other group a high carb, low protein, low fat diet. The high protein group lost more weight and retained more muscle than the low protein group all other things being equal..

None of these studies were sponsored by Atkins or other high protein gurus.

A problem with protein is that it can cause your body to become more acid. In an attempt to correct that balance, your body will release substances that are base, i.e., calcium from your bones. Vegetables & fruit, however, are base. So, if you combine those with your meats (think salad with cooked chicken breasts or cottage cheese with fruit) the two will balance out. Disclaimer - I did not see as many believable articles on this theory, but have heard for years that high protein diets make your bones brittle. In any case, the two food combinations are certainly healthy, add good carbs to your diet and if you keep the fat content down, will probably aid in weight loss.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid