Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clipless pedals

To disable ads, please log-in.

Thanks for the reply - I agree, much more power with my new friends (and less pedal marks on my shins - OWWW)...

I will stick to the trails - can't do the road thing...It would give me too much time to think LOL!!!

A safe and happy new year to you as well
    Stay Tuned....

Question

I too want to try clipless this year. Right now we are in the throes of winter, wish I could just throw it away, I have got pretty sick of the trainer, snowshoing is fine, but I miss my bike...anyway, I think I would like to put the pedals on my bike while I train indoors to get a bit used to how they feel. I also need advice on what shoes/pedals seem to be a good combo, I know not all shoes are compatible with all pedals, but other than that it's all new to me. I have a wide foot at the front, small bunion on rt foot , so those thin shoes are scary to look at. Any suggestions and advice would be much welcomed. I have a hybrid bike, devinci, which I love. I am truly envious of those who can ride year round. The cold didn't stop me this year, many days in Dec were just -10 or so, but way too much snow and ice, hoping for early spring Happy New Year to all paintgirl04

To clip or not to clip?

Clipless will definitely help your climbing. Here are a few suggestions for a clipless beginner.

1. Set your clips really loose.
    2. Practice with your bike on a bike stand.
    3. They make some pedals that are big platform pedals that have a clip. The platform is big enough to stand on unclipped. This is good for a beginner. You can upclip on technical down-hill sections until your confidence grows. I think there are also some that have a clip on one side and not the other. The problem with these is that you can't just clip in instantly, you have to look to see which side has the clip.
    4. Keep your pedals clean and lubed. If you don't lube them, they get harder to "clip out"
    5. You WILL fall. Be prepared. As you start to do the "timber" thing, try try try not to put your arm out to break your fall (broken wrist or worse yet, collar bone). Try to tuck your arms in and roll onto your shoulder. I know it goes against your natural instincts, but you will probably be better off.
    6. To see how much the clips will help, try taking a spin class with and without clips. You can tell how much more efficient your stroke is if you make "circles" with your feet instead of just mashing down on the pedals.

Good luck and go have fun!

It's never too late!

mtb chick you will love clipless and hubby is right they will help you with climbing.

One thing to do is practice, put them on and go out on the grass, hold onto a tree or fence and practice clipping in and out then let 'er rip........pedal and get the feel stay on the grass the fall (if) won't hurt so much. Practice, practice, practice........you won't need that much it's really easy once you get the hang of remembering to clip out at a stop, LOL.

I actually did all my practicing in doors as I didn't have grass to go out on, it didn't take long. You'll love it and never look back.

Enjoy! Keep challenging yourself.

Kate
    Life is like a 10 speed bike, we all have gears we never use.
    Charles Schultz

"The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community."Ann Strong, Minneapolis Tribune, 1895

You just have to take the plunge and do it. It's a case of bark being worse than bite. And as soon as you have your first few pedals up a hill with them you'll kick yourself that you procastinated so long over them. You are wasting so much power without them...just do it
    Warning: rider may fall at any time without notice.

Originally posted by paintgirl
    I I also need advice on what shoes/pedals seem to be a good combo, I know not all shoes are compatible with all pedals, but other than that it's all new to me. I have a wide foot at the front, small bunion on rt foot , so those thin shoes are scary to look at. Any suggestions and advice would be much welcomed.
    I bought Sidi's with the velcro straps - bottom of the line, but the toe box is much wider than the higher priced Sidi's. I, too, have duck feet & those narrow shoes do not work at all.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Cool

Check out Specialized body geometry range of shoes, I wear them and swear by them. They have a lift under the ball of your foot that both reduces numbness from the pressure of peadling and inso also transfers more power. Strange at first but soon becomes very comfortable.
    Warning: rider may fall at any time without notice.