Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

El Tour de Tuscon (TNT)

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi Everyone! I just got into cycling a couple months ago when I signed up for a century ride (El Tour de Tuscon in November) through Team In Training. Right now I'm up to about 32 miles and am so excited! This forum looks like a great place to get tips and post questions so I just wanted to say hello!

Hi yourself.

The Tour was my first century. I have fully intended to only start out with my friends and cut the course short to do about 70 miles but got caught up in the excitment and kept going. It was a surprisenly easy century.

Just some advice for this particularly ride:

1) wear mountain bike shoes and use MTB pedal if possible (if you don't use a pedal system then ignore this). At the time I rode with Speedplay pedals and after the first long sand crossing was never able to engage the pedal again. I rode 80 miles on top of that small cleat - OUCH!

2) Do stop at all the sags of which there are many. Why? Because the ride has no other stops. Since the police control the traffic there is just no reasont o stop and you ride forever and ever. Normally I would be stopping here and there for street lights and stuff. I fond myself getting tired without having stops.

3) Learn to ride in a paceline. When the "Teams In Training" come by, get on the back. They helped me pace at least 40 - 50 miles of the ride. Espcially helpful on the long downhills.

4) Talk to as many folks on the ride as possible. I had a ball meeting folks from all over. Also take lots of photos of that awesome ride start. Also wave back at all the folks that come out and watcht he Tour. I felt like I was in the real Tour (TdF)!

Good luck - enjoy the ride!
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Thanks so much for your tips! It's nice to hear advice from someone who actually did the ride. I'm very excited about it because a) it's my first century, b) it's in AZ and I've never been there, and c) the experience of team in training (helping a cause, meeting people, etc). Thanks again!

I'm a TNT coach, though I generally do Tucson on my own as a race. It is a great event. What TNT chapter are you riding with?

This is a huge event, so in addition to being comfortable riding in a paceline, it is also good to be comfortable riding in groups surrounded by other riders. The ride thins out a bit, but the fisrt 10 miles or so - at least to the first river crossing - are generally pretty thick with people.

You should have plenty of long training rides with your team and be well prepared for this! It is not a difficult century as there is not a lot of climbing - so it is a perfect first century ride. The expo and finish area are also great - it really feels like a big party compared to most century rides.

I met Floyd Landis last year at the Tour de Tuscon and Bob Roll the year before that!!
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Hi mall! I'm really excited for this ride! Everytime I ride I can't believe what my body is capable of doing and how it is advancing. I remember a few months ago when I thought 7 miles was a lot! haha

I'm training with the DE team (Im in Wilmington). I'm lucky to have a great coach and think I am well on my way.

Are you doing Tuscon this year?
    I always hear apples say they would rather be pears. Well I'm a pear and I'd rather be a stick of celery!!!

I am glad you have a great coach - and you sound super confident and excited. That's great!

Regrettably, I won't be at Tucson this year. First one I've missed in 6 years - though I did crash out last year and DNF'ed (a first ever for anything!). I was recently diagnosed with pulmonary embolism (many blood clots in my lungs), and cannot ride for 6 months while I am on anti-coagulants to resolve that condition.

So I will be riding again by December, but not in time for Tucson. I will definitely be there next year as my most recent platinum pass only has one more year left.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Tech Tip of the Day

Quote Originally Posted by bcipam
    1) wear mountain bike shoes and use MTB pedal if possible (if you don't use a pedal system then ignore this). At the time I rode with Speedplay pedals and after the first long sand crossing was never able to engage the pedal again. I rode 80 miles on top of that small cleat - OUCH!
    With either type of Speedplay road cleats (Zeros or Xs) you can "fix" this problem on the road by dripping a generous amount of Tri-Flow lubricant on both sides of the cleats. I carry the little sample tube in my saddle bag for just this reason. Tri-Flow is a solvent in addition to a lube and it will clean that sand and mud and gunk right away so you can clip even if you get all gunked up.

So how was the ride?

I must say I think of El Tour every year! I've done it three times and it is by far one of my favorite century rides! You really can't beat the support of the folks of Tucson during the ride. They really cheer you on and I always found it to be at a place where "I" really needed the support.

Love that ride, maybe someday I'll get to do it again......

Anyway I would love to hear your ride story, mine are out on the net somewhere on a few bike sites, well maybe it's been years ago now.
    Life is like a 10 speed bike, we all have gears we never use.
    Charles Schultz

"The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community."Ann Strong, Minneapolis Tribune, 1895

Hey!

I did Tucson this last November with TNT and had an absolute blast. Strange enough... I rode some of the way with the DE team! I am from South NJ/Shore chapter. Will be back this year for another go!

You already got some great advice, so I will just add have fun! I met so many ppl, chatted the whole way, hooked up with TNT's San Diego paceline, and just flew to the finish.

The climbs are nothing to worry about, and the two riverbed crossings aren't that bad, really. Just take your time! (there was a mariachi band playing in the middle of the first one when I went )
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a ride!!!"