Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

I signed up for the Austin Livestrong!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Colleen, my coach via the Foundation was so nice on the phone.

My goal is to ride the 40.

Yikes!

Anyway, I know we're all doing our own charity rides so this isn't a plea for money, but here's my webpage. I'm excited!

(I just hope it cools down some before October!!!)

http://www.kintera.org/06tx/pooks/

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

Hi Pooks! I have been soooooo wanting to do this myself! My biggest reason for not signing is that I have no one to go on long training rides with here in Austin. I imagine there is a group, somewhere, someplace, but I'm not very good at searching for them.

I wish you luck and will be rooting for you to do well.

Kitsune06 Guest

Smile

Good Luck, Pooks!

I'm doing the 40 in PDX the 30th on my rockhopper! Here's to the un-roadie schlep-off!

love and luck!
    -K

Thanks, Kit! Maybe by October I'll be strong enough to join you in that 40 effort!

luv'nAustin -- they're having training rides in Austin for locals who are cycling the race! So you shouldn't have any problem hooking up with them. Also, if you request a mentor, you may find out about other rides that way. I was told that there's a mentor in Dallas who emails people about rides in this area to help people get ready!

Good luck pooks! I would love to do this ride someday, but DH and I have our hearts in the MS150. I can't do two large fundraisers a year. Last year they sent out a plea for volunteers and I think I might do it this year. Good luck, you will be surprised how easy 40 can be if you put your mind to it!

Luv'nAustin- Check out austincycling.org. They have weekly rides through varying terrain if you need training. I have yet to attend one on my own, but I probably will this Sunday as my DH is traveling for work.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Good for you, Pooks! You can totally do this. Be prepared for any kind of weather. Three years ago it was cold and wet. The problem was the front that came through wasn't supposed to come anywhere near that far south and no one was prepared for it. It was in the 80's the night before and in the 50's by morning. People were buying socks to use as arm warmers! Two years ago it was HOT. Last year was cool to start and warmed up nicely. You can almost guarantee a pretty stiff wind at some point in the ride.

If you'll be needing a hotel, I'd be happy to give you two that are reasonably priced and in a great location for getting to the ride.
    Last edited by Steph_in_TX; 07-18-2006 at 08:02 AM.

Sure, please send me the info. I just checked the hotel I'd like to stay at and it's gotten a little pricey since our last trip there!

Here's some info about the training rides in Austin:

Nike 10//2 Training
    It’s free. It’s open to everyone. Come join us beginning July 29.

Nike and the Lance Armstrong Foundation are teaming up to get you ready for the LIVESTRONG Challenge by hosting local Nike 10//2 Training events twice a week in Austin. The training is free for riders, runners, and walkers of all abilities, and is a great way to not only get to know other LIVESTRONG Challenge participants, but to get some time in the saddle or on the path! Now, for every new friend you bring along to a Nike 10//2 Training, you will receive one entry into an on-site drawing for a Nike 10//2 prize.

The main point of this advice is to stay in the vicinty of 35 and 290 East. It's just a short jaunt straight out 290 to the place the ride starts, which is really handy come early Sunday morning. The expo is just a few miles south on 35 at the Convention Center. The LaQuinta Highland Mall and Baymont Inn Highland Mall are pretty much both at that intersection. We've stayed in both locations. The Baymont is cheaper and was just changed over from a LaQuinta last year...owned by the same company. I suppose they didn't really need two LaQuinta's less than a mile or so apart. It's an even better deal if you have a Sam's card. It's likely where we'll stay if we go again.

Also, this may or may not be useful advice depending on how many riders they allow. I haven't seen what the cap will be this year. If it's anywhere near the 6,500 it has been in the past, then you'll want to try to be at the starting location by 6:30-6:45 or earlier. Trust me, you'd rather be sitting in a parking lot with everything ready to go than sitting in the HUGE line of cars that don't think they need to get there early.

I'll keep my eye for the route to be posted. If it's anything close to the previous routes, I'll give you all the info I can about what you can expect in terms of hills.

Good luck with your training and stay out of this insane heat!!

Thanks, Steph -- that's all VERY helpful.

I was told that the 40-mile route is east of Austin and thus relatively flat, so I guess they already know the routes.

It's always east of town, which is good news for us flatlanders! All in all, it's fairly flat. I looked at last year's stats for my ride and I climbed a little less than a thousand feet in 41.6 miles. Ok, no laughing from any of you girls that have real mountains to climb. There were four hills that were anywhere from 4-6% gradient, which for a Dallas girl is steep. They were pretty short, though. It's the weather conditions that can make those pretty tough. A hot day and southern wind and those hills will not be fun as they are all in the later part of the ride. It's nothing you can't handle if you keep riding. It's just better to know what's coming, I think.

Thanks, Steph -- very helpful. Last time we were in Austin we stayed at Habitat Suites near Highland Mall. I liked it a LOT but the prices seem to be going up and I'm not sure we'll want to pay that this time.

A question about speed. Will there be slow riders on this kind of ride? You know 10mph or less? I have no idea what our speed will be by then, probably okay, but right now we're slow! LOL!

The BP MS150 crosses some of the same area before heading into Austin. I know they have pretty much kept the same route each year. It is relatively flat out there, nothing like the west side of Austin. A few of the hills might challenge you if you are not a hill person, but I don't think you get to any that are too bad. Last year I was a hill slug and didn't have problems with those hills on the MS150. The wind was bad for the 2005 MS150, which was the bigger challenge. It is a lot of farm land out there and nothing but cows to block the wind. I am not talking hurricane force, but it is something you might notice.

Pooks- Don't worry about being slow riders. There will be all levels out there. Some people will blow by you because they think it is race. But ride your ride and enjoy it. That is always my mantra when riding an organized ride. Trust me there will be young kids, people who haven't trained and people who just like to take it easy.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan