Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kona Sutra?

Kona Sutra?

To disable ads, please log-in.

The quest for a great bike continues...

I was set on a 'cross, then thought I might buy a road bike after a friend gave me an old hybrid, then I was back to wanting a 'cross anyway...

I visited a bike shop yesterday (Proteus Bikes in College Park, MD) and Jill (the owner, also a Luna dealer) had me try the Kona Sutra. AWESOME!!! It rode beautifully. If I get this bike, however, I will still need a performance bike. Then again, I am returning to school this fall and I doubt I will have much play time in the next several years. If I do, I'd probably do more trailrunning than cycling...at least those are the plans. I can totally see myself getting into cycling -- especially off-road cycling. Argh.

I did a search on the Kona Sutra but since it only came out in '05, there's not too much on it. Has anyone had any experience with this bike? I have to say I loved it. And the smallest size actually fit me! Jill suggested if I get really serious about cycling, then I can invest in a Luna (was leaning towards the Orbit).

Maybe I put the cart before the horse...for now, would the Sutra work as a good commuter bike, recreational/fitness bike on weekends, and maybe the occasional road tri? Then, when time is not such a commodity, I can start looking at 'cross bikes for more serious off-road fun. Any thoughts?

I used to think my friends who had 3+ bikes were nuts, but now I totally understand!!! And I can totally empathize with my friends who spend a lot of time with their bikes. Heck, I'm already trying to spiff up the old hybrid my friend gave me! Imagine when I get a brand smackin' new one!!

I'm going to have to look up this Kona Sutra and see what it looks like.

I mean, I saw the subject header and thought it was a sexy cup of coffee!

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

That is so funny, Pooks. In their catalog, they say something like, "Achieve any position over long distances..."

I'll bet.

::whistling::

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

If I am remembering correctly the Sutra is the top of the line touring bike made to be tough enough to take out in the way boonies - they actually called it an expedition bike. If I may be so bold - it may be a bit of overkill for kicking around on - especially if you plan to replace it soon, but if you can afford it, it is a beauty of a bike. If you plan to do some loaded touring it is a honey of a bike and should be able to take anything you want to put on it and any terrain you want to ride on. For tri's it will be a bit slower - heavier and made for stability over speed, but people do tri's on all sorts of bikes so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

If you really want a cross bike Kona makes the Jake the Snake which is actually less expensive than the Sutra (and the "lite" version Jake too). The plain Jake looks like it has eyelets for fenders/rack and comes with a triple. The Jake the Snake is set up for cross racing - better components and a double.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    The Sutra is a nice bike, with a great name. It will take you where you need and want to go without any problems. It will certainly work for commuting (lock it up bigtime), longer rides, and the occasional triathlon. Why do you say that if you get this bike you will still need a performance bike? Remember, it's the rider who makes the most difference, not the bike (assuming the fit is right). Put Lance on a low end bike and he'll still beat most people on a custom carbon.

It's also a steel bike (chromoly), whereas the Jake is aluminum. You might want to ride the Jake to see how it compares.

I've found that I have different bikes for different uses, and they are not all top of the line by any means. My Luna is for longer road rides, and it's nicer than my abilities call for but I don't care. My Jamis Coda is for commuting and it has taken the place of a car in my life for the most part. My Dahon Matrix (a folding bike) is for winter commuting (with Metro involved), my mountain bikes are for offroading (but I don't do too much of that anymore at the moment), and my JC Higgins 3-speed is for getting groceries and looking at flowers in the neighborhood. I've accumulated these bikes over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip
    Why do you say that if you get this bike you will still need a performance bike? Remember, it's the rider who makes the most difference, not the bike (assuming the fit is right). Put Lance on a low end bike and he'll still beat most people on a custom carbon.

ummmm yes to small point. There are always some who will be competitive with one arm tied behind their backs on a tricycle, but the difference between a touring bike and perfomance bike is enough to make a difference to us mere mortals if we want to do more than simply finish a race. The truth is most of us race against people who are fairly similar in ability to ourselves. The sport is (somewhat) orgainized to move people up who show greater talents, so we don't have to race against our local Lances. An ultra light top of the line bike is not necessary to racing, nor will it make you competitive if you are not already keeping up, but a bike that has the proper geometry for and is geared for racing likely will make you more sucessful.

Really it depends on trailrunners goals. If she intendeds to just do the occasional tri any bike she wants to ride will get her through - people do them on mt. bikes and hybrids all of the time- but if she intends to start racing competitively she's right, the Sutra wouldn't work too well.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

Everyone has had such wonderful input - thank you!

Well...to answer some of your comments (and hopefully this will help me make a decision - with your feedback, of course!)...

1. I definitely don't plan to *replace* the bike, but maybe buy another one to add to my collection . (I never in my life thought I'd be saying something like this.)
    2. I am definitely more a "runner" type. Even on my trail run on Monday, I realized I just love running and feeling the dirt under my feet, hopping over rocks, crossing streams, etc. I can't imagine feeling that connected to the trail on a bike. Of course, that's not to say I wouldn't try it, because I'd love to! But I think the feeling will be different, and I will always consider myself a trailrunner first.
    3. Racing...I think I'm OK on a road bike, but definitely not competitive enough. I will probably keep my competitive bug for running events only. But who knows, I may do my first tri (IronGirl Columbia, actually!) and decide I need a lighter, faster bike.
    4. I do like the idea of having a good, reliable bike I can keep for long time. Maybe do a charity ride here and there. Possibly even a century (though it won't be fast by any means).

Do you think the Sutra will fit the bill? Eden, I had thought about the price. It's a bit much for a "casual" bike, but I also loved it. I wanted to test ride that thing all the way back to my house 30 miles away! But if I consider it my good ol' reliable, go-anywhere bike that will start my collection, maybe it's a good investment?

AAAAHHHH. The more I learn about the bikes, the more difficult this decision has become!!! Two years ago, I would've been totally happy with a $100 bike from Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner
    Do you think the Sutra will fit the bill? Eden, I had thought about the price. It's a bit much for a "casual" bike, but I also loved it. I wanted to test ride that thing all the way back to my house 30 miles away! But if I consider it my good ol' reliable, go-anywhere bike that will start my collection, maybe it's a good investment?
    If its in your budget it is a sweet bike, and I think it would retain its value well. It would be very versatile - you could ride on pavement or dirt/gravel roads just as easily, though I would guess that it wouldn't really be suitable for mt. bike territory (single track and the like). Its all outfitted to take racks and fenders so it would be a super slick commuter and good for centuries / randoneurring too.

If you really get bitten by the tri bug you may end up wanting a completey different kind of bike anyway, that isn't really good for other things (another bike for the collection ), but many many people do tris on non-tri specific bikes.

Yeah...it's steep, I was ready to thrown down twice the $$ for a Luna before rethinking my premature dedication to the sport. Getting ahead of oneself in a sport like running is pretty harmless -- you might "throw away" $100 or so on a pair of good running shoes, but cycling...

I think I'm going to have the LBS order the Sutra so I can test ride one closer to my size (I test-rode one that was slightly big since that's all they had). I can make a decision then without any risk.

LBS did suggest the Jamis Nova also. Any thoughts one which might be more suitable?

I think for now, I'll stick to running on single track, but really would like to see what it feels like to be on trails with a bike between me and the dirt. One thing I know - I love love love how fast you can go on a bike relative to running! (Also helps in the mega heat we're having in VA right now!)

I have the Kona Dew, which is the same geometry as the Sutra, but in aluminum. (and with very different components)

I am so happy with the geometry, I can't even tell you! And even though the Dew is a "bottom" of the line bike, I really can't complain. Kona is decent stuff.

I would think the Jamis Aurora would be more similar to the Kona Sutra. Both are more in the loaded-tourer side of the equation. Take a peek at the Burley Vagabond while you're at it. (another loaded-tourer geometry/build)

All that being said, my next bike is (at the moment, subject to change without notice) going to be a Soma DoubleCross custom build. I'm too picky, and while I love (love love) the Dew/Jake/Sutra geometry, if I'm gonna blow the big (for me) bucks, I'm gonna choose everything.

Edit: PS, neither of the bikes I mentioned have disc brakes. If you love disc, you should check to be sure you can fit them to whatever frame you end up choosing.
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 07-19-2006 at 05:19 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I was planning on trying the Kona Sutra out, but I ended up falling in love with my Bianchi Veloce first, and never got that far It really does look like a nice bike, though. I will be interested to read more of the responses here.

disc brakes....

....being new to all of this I had never even heard of disc brakes until someone recommended them. Where I'll be biking, there lots of hills, so I guess disc brakes are good? The sutra's got 'em and they were pretty cool. The only thing I've been wondering now...how hard is it to remove a wheel to change a flat with disc brakes? As it is, it takes me *forever* to change a flat on a bike with cantilever brakes!!!

Potential disaster for me and disc brakes????

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet
    All that being said, my next bike is (at the moment, subject to change without notice) going to be a Soma DoubleCross custom build. I'm too picky, and while I love (love love) the Dew/Jake/Sutra geometry, if I'm gonna blow the big (for me) bucks, I'm gonna choose everything.
    Mmmm...yeah, the cost of the sutra is making me pause and really think about this decision. I just can't believe how GREAT the bike felt. During the test ride, I felt like I could just ride and ride and ride. It was sooooo nice. The fact that it's good-looking doesn't hurt either.

If you love the bike and it loves you, get it!

but try the jamis Aurora, too ($825). And a Burley Vagabond ($1600) And if your shop has built Surly Long Haul Truckers, give one of them a ride ($1000 on up)

Quillfred has a Redline cyclocross bike, which she loves.

Take a look at some of the Soma frames just to get some ideas www.somafab.com They have pictures of how some of their customers built bikes with their frames.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson